Confession - I hardly use my knife while camping

I can see the utility of a small folding saw camping, but for me the hatchet is mostly dead weight. If you like to saw things to get straight cuts for whatever reason (stakes, walking stick, and so forth), you can get by pretty darn well with a SAK with a saw blade as long as you're not in some sort of wood production mode. The folding saw can handle this.

What about this guy?

Outdoor-Camping-Hiking-Manual-Hand-Steel-Rope-Chain-Saw-Portable-Practical-Emergency-Survival-Gear-Steel-Wire.jpg_640x640.jpg

What about this guy?

Mi experience with that kind of saws goes as follows:
- I was gifted a wire saw that I carried for a long time before having the chance to use it. When I did, it snapped in half after a few minutes of use and while it lasted, I didn't feel it was cutting much.
- Soon after that (but still many maaaaaaaaaaaaany years ago) I bought a pocke chainsaw (called precisely Supreme Pocket Chainsaw). Used it a few times and it worked really well to be honest. After that, I haven't used it much.

The problem with these saws is that you need both hands to use it, while a foldable saw allows you to grab the wood with one hand and saw with the other one.

Another issue is that the natural and more comfortable way to cut lumber in the ground is to wrap the chain from under the piece of wood, stand with one leg on each side of the log/branch and pull straight up with both hands. The problem is that as you progress through the cut, the branch tends to fold down pinching the chainsaw (gets stuck). Yo need to prop the wood onto something so it folds UP away from the cut instead of down.

With a foldable saw you will approach the cut from the top and don't have this problem.

The advantage of these saws is that they don't take much space in a backpack. Weight wise, I don't think there is much of a difference because they are heavy! (it is a chain after all).

Mikel

I've about at the point where I just carry a multi-tool on my side, whether in the burbs or in the city or in the woods.
The only time I find myself wanting a fixed blade is for some food prep.
Cleaning fish guts or peanut butter out of a Leatherman Wave is a bit of a hassle.

I have an Ontario machete that I never use.
A Fiskars ax that I never use.
And a Fiskars retracting saw that I hardly ever use.

I just got back from a weekend in the woods. I used my rmj weezerker when making the fire, and the back side to hammer in the tent pegs. I used my rmj nomad for a few various camp tasks. The rmj sparrow and my benchmade bug out got used opening food and some things like that. I took 1 hawk and 3 blades and they all got used. I dont carry a multitool but I do keep some Knipex channel lock type pliers in my backpack, along with a small matco flat head and Phillips head.

Back