Congrats, Craig...

Congratulations on a nice write up in the October '99 issue of Blade magazine. (Pg. 70)
Maybe I will order my first khukuri after all.
smile.gif

------------------
"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."
-Derek Bok

Christian: I didn´t expect it to come out so quickly. I won´t be able to see it until I get back on 7 August. And me in Nicaragua. Doohhh! (insert Homer Simspon voice).

Anybody want to post the article here so I can read it? Don´t know when I´ll get the chance to hook up to the internet again, but I´d certainly love to read it.

Semper Fi

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

[This message has been edited by Craig Gottlieb (edited 28 July 1999).]

OK, Craig, if you are out there…here is an excerpt of the article! This is from Blade magazine (Oct 99) and the article was written by MSG Kim Breed, 5th Special Forces (Ret.).

“The classic shape and feel of a khukuri, the blade of choice of the Gurkhas, the famed warriors of Nepal, is something to behold. Properly made, the wicked curve of the heavy front edge is ideal for chopping. Unfortunately, not all khukuris are properly made....

So, when I received the khukuri (khukuri is also spelled kukri) from Craig Gottlieb of Cystern, I was not thrilled, to say the least. As things turned out, though, I ended up being impressed at the quality of workmanship the knife displayed.

I had a choice of testing either the brass-handle deluxe WW model or the Bhojpure (thickest model). I went with the WW because of the greater length of the blade. It was also close to the same thickness as the Bhojpure.

Since I already had a bad attitude toward khukuris, I inspected Craig’s import closely. I fully expected to see gaps in the solder joints but the gaps were barely visible. Great work! Everything fit perfect. The forged blade was symmetrical all the way to the tip... Hammer dents can be seen in the blade, which I like because it is proof that forging took place.

...The sheath itself is crafted from wood tightly wrapped in waterbuffalo skin. The stitching is snug with no missed spots or separations. The sheath holds all three knives without a hitch and they withdraw without binding.

I highly recommend the khukuris from Cystern [Gurkha House] for their chopping ability and overall design. The blades are the real thing. Not only do they look great but they perform up to their heritage..."

Breed goes on to describe his chopping test for the WW, and how it performed. (Passed with flying colors.) I leave sections out and report only excerpts, because I do not want to take away from Breed’s article, and/or violate any copyright rules by putting it all up here. But I am not picking text selectively – ie: choosing all the good parts and leaving out bad parts (promise!) – there are no bad parts. For those wanting a copy of the magazine for themselves, the number to order one is: (715) 445-2214 (Krause Publications.) I bought my copy at a large magazine store.

So, that’s the dirt. Enjoy.

Marya Gottlieb
Gurkha House

Marya: Thanks! Of course, I'm back, and was also surprised to see a small write-up in this month's Tactical Knives. You can find it on page 78.

Regards,

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Back