Photos Congress is in session, in the Traditional sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.
i50DwLx.jpg

I've got two, a Case, and a Colt.

2019-01-27-02.01.55.jpg

2019-01-27-02.02.28.jpg

2019-01-27-02.02.56.jpg

I got the Colt to try the pattern years ago, and liked it, it's a nice grip in hand. It was a big part of my learning how much I prefer a sheepsfoot for general use too. Never really enamored with the other blades though. Not a spear point fan at all, and two small pen blades is over redundant. Love the bone though, and all the swedged blades really pop, and have great fine points... it's a good user!

Got the Case to try a smaller frame, and honestly just because the bone was gorgeous!

Slightly better blades, but the knife hasn't really "clicked" for me. I made the coping into a small sheepsfoot to aid in grip comfort, (and dropped all the kicks.) Again, don't like the spear, it's an overly wide blade tip, almost a blunted drop point.

Just not quite my "thing" overall. I like it and refuse to part with it, but it doesn't get much use.

I keep thinking I should get the 2 blade offering that Case has out now... But I'm a little "gun shy" on the pattern now too.

If I could find one with a clip blade, and a sheepsfoot, I'd be happier. Heck, even a slim long pen blade, a true spear point instead of the blunt drop point Case used, and a sheepsfoot, I'd be happier.

I love the pattern/frame shape, but I can't really find a congress that I like the blade offering on.

The Congress is an interesting pattern. Whenever I see one, I want it. But when I get it in hand, it doesn't seem to trip my trigger. Then when I see another one, I want it.
I have almost the same experience with the congress pattern as @Vaporstang describes. They look good to me, but when I get one, I rarely use it. Blade redundancy is probably a major objection for me.

I like the congress pattern, when they don't duplicate blades. Most do, and even the ones that don't come real close. Anyway I have two. A Boker tree brand carvers congress, with rosewood scales, and a Case with chestnut bone sales, and CV blades.
Sanuk2ZGEVgQUoqgeK921p6pLMLA6EG0xVs726ghvZC9awwaatRY_E1z6ZxIVBBfckpoOE1tpYjWYOq15oQc4oYXM50jLVvnnyszw1dcSHaauP2iFcg4cSa49ylUoGP62gqQ6-jNCuBjcmomEEkHYqiLszYpwxQyDB0hYLiODVAWQ4xzB2KU5BKfLjo1OoLtdDv7J6-WhaRtVw0fkUjz4MFJKc3QIO5g8iOjuboc__MUvf61ImAVHNhPCSiB1Y3CCU7ugCaORZA7SQgw_5iqF5CZ7Qn0yHkIzWwSFbjHImUl_ny_t9EvfZ5k836uOccj9QIdJnSD9hDmuT5KefFCMyvP2C_jitTsBglWWRmCFYdDtKaSJipcSZ3sKsoVO2pm_fm3hsLtCo5bi0wuyG9Esg1oO-3AiDQCFfvZupnIbfYgpA8ozedIGv1M0uYpGFy0L3TDqqyjgV2_p57_qoS3WURRccOKugJx29QSe65mzwMGL6jLLTz3o0HVpaCSJZ5nRMDYrN3f6rdruqcZZmn3kLGmxRE0_vrkZjPG3uxGrELyIQlwjR_9NpWunng4r_Sj7bBq1ywFPxO6jLOKp_o-xo7TOKC_9lg_H0p45iri7aRcxuP_2BfGdObRpwvEeYLu15ULUwOeGOrm_qz6QoofS6n9TOHFPDIwo7rdYnFlEYnpev2DIpkjHealQhYnq7hXlahyZK5MMb5fsew7Hw=w800

I carry the Boker most days.

O.B.
The Böker carvers congress has always appealed to me, with 4 distinctly different blade shapes, including a spey. But I haven't yet ordered one.

I currently have 1.5 congress knives. A Rough Rider that was in my original set of 12 assorted RR patterns, and a Case XX 6269 half congress (thanks for the GAW, @leghog):
6WnnJFf.jpg

xlSJgXq.jpg

- GT

I agree that it would be nice if all 4 blades were different, I’m guessing that the folks that design them were going for symmetry, I’m pretty happy with the choices on mine
G2

This is a great thread. I wanted to share my second Congress pattern that I own. It is a GEC 62 Courthouse Whittler in Tidioute trim and ebony covers. It’s my favorite among the two I own.

I really enjoy the story Roy H shared on the tube of the American Whittler about the Congress pattern being a truly southern US style. These Congress knives always make me think of stories my dad told me about old men sitting at the town courthouse in little country towns of Tennessee playing checkers, whittling, and trading pocket knives. He saw this stuff growing up in the 50’s and 60’s. Simpler times.

Attachments

• 064A388F-1780-44C7-A469-5CC241B2913B.jpeg
    064A388F-1780-44C7-A469-5CC241B2913B.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 11
I've got two, a Case, and a Colt.

2019-01-27-02.01.55.jpg

2019-01-27-02.02.28.jpg

2019-01-27-02.02.56.jpg

I got the Colt to try the pattern years ago, and liked it, it's a nice grip in hand. It was a big part of my learning how much I prefer a sheepsfoot for general use too. Never really enamored with the other blades though. Not a spear point fan at all, and two small pen blades is over redundant. Love the bone though, and all the swedged blades really pop, and have great fine points... it's a good user!

Got the Case to try a smaller frame, and honestly just because the bone was gorgeous!

Slightly better blades, but the knife hasn't really "clicked" for me. I made the coping into a small sheepsfoot to aid in grip comfort, (and dropped all the kicks.) Again, don't like the spear, it's an overly wide blade tip, almost a blunted drop point.

Just not quite my "thing" overall. I like it and refuse to part with it, but it doesn't get much use.

I keep thinking I should get the 2 blade offering that Case has out now... But I'm a little "gun shy" on the pattern now too.

If I could find one with a clip blade, and a sheepsfoot, I'd be happier. Heck, even a slim long pen blade, a true spear point instead of the blunt drop point Case used, and a sheepsfoot, I'd be happier.

I love the pattern/frame shape, but I can't really find a congress that I like the blade offering on.

I don't know if you can find one, but GEC made a Maverick stockman that might work for you. Bottom knife in this picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back