Photos Congress is in session, in the Traditional sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.
2s01joh.png
I have the same knife in what I think are walnut covers.
UNmrfdH.jpg

This is a great thread. I wanted to share my second Congress pattern that I own. It is a GEC 62 Courthouse Whittler in Tidioute trim and ebony covers. It’s my favorite among the two I own.

I really enjoy the story Roy H shared on the tube of the American Whittler about the Congress pattern being a truly southern US style. These Congress knives always make me think of stories my dad told me about old men sitting at the town courthouse in little country towns of Tennessee playing checkers, whittling, and trading pocket knives. He saw this stuff growing up in the 50’s and 60’s. Simpler times.
Nice anecdote about your dad.
If we're spending time on this thread, I just wanted to mention that from what I've read, the Congress pattern originated from England, specifically Sheffield. It is not from the Southern US. It may have been popular there, but that's not where the Congress began. In the early days of this nation, the best knives typically came from England, and that's how the Congress became popular in the US. It was already a popular pattern in England.
If someone knows different, please set the record straight.

Nice anecdote about your dad.
If we're spending time on this thread, I just wanted to mention that from what I've read, the Congress pattern originated from England, specifically Sheffield. It is not from the Southern US. It may have been popular there, but that's not where the Congress began. In the early days of this nation, the best knives typically came from England, and that's how the Congress became popular in the US. It was already a popular pattern in England.
If someone knows different, please set the record straight.

Pinemoon Pinemoon - you may be correct that the Congress pattern originated in England. Here’s the story from the GEC tube I was referring to.

Attachments

• 6F04DE87-0A49-4C37-ABA1-AED085C4F4C4.jpeg
    6F04DE87-0A49-4C37-ABA1-AED085C4F4C4.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 22
Pinemoon Pinemoon - you may be correct that the Congress pattern originated in England. Here’s the story from the GEC tube I was referring to.
Interesting write-up on the tube.
Perhaps the term "whittler" makes it an American pattern ?? "Congress Whittler" ? ?
I may have been mistaken in my last post when I said the Congress was already a popular pattern in England. I just re-read my source material, which is by no means the end-all.
It seems there's considerable mystery associated with it. However, being made elsewhere first (not the US) is one area where our sources seem to agree.
Before I link my source, I'd like to offer another tidbit surrounding the Congress pattern.
A Congress has no liners, the blades nest together, etc. I can't remember where (probably the A.G. Russell catalog) but it's called a Congress because the blades "congregate" together without liners separating them.s

So, my source...
At the chance of setting of the moderator alarms, I'll refrain from posting a specific link, but if you Google "Would Congress Sell You a Congress Knife?" you'll find an interesting write-up.
And maybe our Sheffield expert can shed some light?
@Jack Black
Thanks!

Interesting write-up on the tube.
Perhaps the term "whittler" makes it an American pattern ?? "Congress Whittler" ? ?
I may have been mistaken in my last post when I said the Congress was already a popular pattern in England. I just re-read my source material, which is by no means the end-all.
It seems there's considerable mystery associated with it. However, being made elsewhere first (not the US) is one area where our sources seem to agree.
Before I link my source, I'd like to offer another tidbit surrounding the Congress pattern.
A Congress has no liners, the blades nest together, etc. I can't remember where (probably the A.G. Russell catalog) but it's called a Congress because the blades "congregate" together without liners separating them.s

So, my source...
At the chance of setting of the moderator alarms, I'll refrain from posting a specific link, but if you Google "Would Congress Sell You a Congress Knife?" you'll find an interesting write-up.
And maybe our Sheffield expert can shed some light?
@Jack Black
Thanks!
Don't know where the Congress originated, but it's pretty cool looking.

Ok, well, I got to thinking about it, and decided to heck with it, even not ever using it I'm apparently not parting with it...

So, why not make it what I will more likely use? Yup, I clipped that stupid drop point spear!

Had it perfect and decided to touch it up a tad... Yeah, then had to fix the over touch and lost 3/8" of blade... lol. So I have a medium to short clip blade. Still infinitely more useful to me than the funky spear.

2019-01-29-04.14.48.jpg

But anyway, I end with 3 different blade styles, plus 1 duplicate. Large sheepsfoot, small sheepsfoot, pen, and clip.

2019-01-29-04.13.43.jpg

Now we'll see if this congress "clicks" any better for me to use. :)

I don't know if you can find one, but GEC made a Maverick stockman that might work for you. Bottom knife in this picture.

That Northfield whittler has a perfect blade assortment...dunno why they doubled up on the #13 secondaries:confused:.

What model is that so I can keep an eye out? That's a Congress that would get some pocket time;).

~Chip

Last edited:
I never can remember GEC numbers, it's what they called the Courthouse Whittler. It's in my whittling kit right now, but I can check the number when I get home if no one has chimed in by then.

Edit to add: 620311 is the number.

Last edited:
I never can remember GEC numbers, it's what they called the Courthouse Whittler. It's in my whittling kit right now, but I can check the number when I get home if no one has chimed in by then.

Edit to add: 620311 is the number.

Thanks!:) I guess those are rare to come up for sale as I haven't seen one in the exchange that I can recall:(

Thanks!:) I guess those are rare to come up for sale as I haven't seen one in the exchange that I can recall:(

You might try posting a Want to Buy in the Exchange. Someone might have one they would part with even if they aren't looking to sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back