Considering a Mnandi

I am considering purchasing a CRK (my first). I need a SUB 3” blade for legal reasons. I like the Inkosi but the damascus Mnandis look awesome. I have some questions though. How well does the pocket clip work? Is it possible to open the blade with one hand (I know there is only a small indent in the blade)? Also, not a huge fan of wood handles do you think there may be a Micarta or G10 or plain titanium model? These are just a few questions; be prepared for more and thanks for your time!

You can do it with one hand..with a little practice. Also, there is a CF fiber version but no micarta or plain Ti that I am aware of

Good knives....try one out.

Try and check one out in person if possible. I have a large and small sebenza, large inkosi, and Umnuumzaan. I ordered a Mnandi online and ended up returning it. I knew it was a smaller “gentleman’s” knife, but it was still a lot smaller than I expected.

The Damascus version of the Mnandi opens much more easily and consistently than the S35VN version. The pocket clip works well.

Bog Oak is the wood I would pick, it's dark and could pass for micarta. The Mnandi is not a one-hand knife. You can do it, but it's not the way I would open it normally. The pocket clip is milled which is different from the more "spring" clip on the Inkosi/Sebenza.

I'd recommend a Small Inkosi Insingo with Micarta inlays for a <3" one-handed knife. The inlays make a big difference to me.

The Mnandi in Damascus opens easily with the nail nick and both it and the S35VN versions open using the jimping on the blade's spine to thumb roll it open as you would a front flipper.

I have been carrying a wood inlaid Mnandi (Old pocket clip style, old nail nick- I had to go this route to find my first borns' birthday) for my M-F work week (education) for just over a year. Pocket clip is awesome (styling) and grabs, I would say, better than other CRK clips. Almost to a point of grabbing to well. I have been nervous about dress pants, but without issue. I too was suspect of its smaller size, but my job also puts me into minor repairs on school and activity buses and I have been nothing less than impressed with durability and performance. I have been pretty ruthless splicing wires, cutting plastic, radiator hoses, cardboard, and vinyl. For my summer months and weekends I prefer to carry either a large or small plain regular sebenza or Umnumzaan... also, with my kids' birthdays which took me a ridiculous amount of time to find and over paying for specific knives's birthday when I could've purchased the same knife for $100 less with not the proper date. Not all the years are correct, but I'll get there maybe some day. First boy was born on a Monday, not too hard, and second had to come on a Saturday. Little turd has been a pain ever since. ;)

I believe the only non-wood you can buy is a carbon fiber inlay. Although, I was originally scared of the wood inlay as well, I will say it has held up amazing and has no scratches, gouging, and hasn't darkened as I originally though it might. Mine is Cocobolo which is no longer available. I was recently really concerned when I accidentally sent it through the wash about possible warping, but it came out fine and still clipped into the pocket. I did, upon realizing, take it apart, wipe down the knife and parts, and re-lube the pivot. I wouldn't recommend sending it the through the laundry, but I honestly think it may be cleaner now.

I believe the new clip has the same retention properties as the old clip style with only decorative (IMO) improvements. However, many that I agree with, have stated that the old style nail nick is easier to open with one hand. This is not to say the new nail nick can't, its just easier from my experience.

Well thanks for all the information; I would like to handle one first-hand to check ergos and such. The Inkosi is still in consideration also and perhaps potentially opening a whole ‘nother round of questions. Love this forum!

I was recently really concerned when I accidentally sent it through the wash about possible warping, but it came out fine and still clipped into the pocket. I did, upon realizing, take it apart, wipe down the knife and parts, and re-lube the pivot. I wouldn't recommend sending it the through the laundry, but I honestly think it may be cleaner now.
Thanks for mentioning that, I was wondering how the wood inlays would respond to being exposed to water

Thanks for mentioning that, I was wondering how the wood inlays would respond to being exposed to water
I really hesitated admitting my mistake on BF. Especially since I purchased off of the exchange, unused, from Lone Wolf. Sure hope she doesn't hunt me down.

I love both the mnandi and Inkosi and carry both often. The Inkosi is a bit more capable, and per your preference can be had in plain ti or micarta. You also have a choice of blade shapes. If I could only have one I'd take the Inkosi especially if you aren't a fan of wood.

The clip is a gem. It can pass for a pen. It’s true that damascus is easier to one hand open on the current nail nick. It’s a very solid little folder. Buy it and use it.

Mnandi is a great. It’s small and the wood inlays fill the show side. It’s a beauty and very classy no matter the wood type. It’s a pure gentleman’s folder. One you would take to special occasions or office carry. Pocket clip is fantastic. Not really a one hand opener but with practice can be done even if it’s not the old nail nick. In my opinion, only because it’s your first CRK, I’d say go for a small wood Inlay sebenza 21. It’s classy for the office but also big enough for more daily cuttting tasks.

Here’s a comparison of Mnandi and small sebenza 21 Inlay. Small Inkosi is in the middle. Good luck with your choice. You can’t go wrong with either.

1022B671-0F4E-4E2D-9AAD-02BA867A1615.jpeg

Last edited:
It can easily be opened one-handed if you have good hand dexterity. If you can touch your pinky finger to your palm while pinching your middle finger to your thumb and move your middle finger back and forth, then you should easily be open to open an Mnandi one-handed as this simulates the movement required - holding the clip with the pinky while pinching the blade open. It might be difficult at first with a new knife.

It can easily be opened one-handed if you have good hand dexterity. If you can touch your pinky finger to your palm while pinching your middle finger to your thumb and move your middle finger back and forth, then you should easily be open to open an Mnandi one-handed as this simulates the movement required - holding the clip with the pinky while pinching the blade open. It might be difficult at first with a new knife.
Well that sounds pretty reasonable; I’ve usually been pretty good at opening knives and such, even got pretty competent with a Balisong in my younger days so this should be a learnable action. Thanks!

I think, before holding one, it is hard to judge just how small the Mnandi is. The knife is a great design, nicely made, and fully functional, but in my opinion, disappoints a little in not have just a little more heft or more size. It is a knife I wish was heavier.

Clipping it to your pants works, but is kind of akin to putting a paper clip on your jeans (why would you). I think the best carry options are loose in pocket (as I sometimes carry mine) or in the leather sheath if you are worried about any scratches.

If CRK made a “Large Mnandi”, it would be the best knife they had ever produced, but the present size is just a little too teeny weeny for me to enjoy as a daily EDC. Still, I’m proud to own the one I have.

Kidcongo is right in saying it's hard to judge just how small the Mnandi is without handling one. After handling lots of 25's, Umnumzaan's, and either size 21, I was surprised how small it really is. The svelte 1.5 ounces made it feel like something was missing. And at 1.5 ounces you could forget that it's in your pocket. It does work great for office EDC in dress wool pants, but not clipped on.

So now that I have a bunch of them I appreciate the wood inlays (and carbon fiber) and details in the design. I would love to see a larger edition or a reduced size Impinda with the same inlays and polished elements used on the Mnandi.

44601308360_81f20dbf90_b.jpg

(L-R) Bog Oak Basket Weave, Macassar Ebony Raindrop, Striped Platan, Snakewood, Thuya Burl, Spalted Beech Ladder, Box Elder Burl, Carbon Fiber, Carbon Fiber Basket Weave

Back