Consumer Input - Feedback/Suggestions/Improvements

I can't fit to the format OP request but I would like to put what I hope is seen for the intent as constructive criticism. I was initially wowed by WE at first but the wow faded before I could afford a single knife. I mostly see a single design is made in 6-12 variations with there being little more than color and blade finish being the changes. I personally am bored with all the pure titanium handles with the occasional CF and it being that typical checkered pattern CF. If they would do more with inlayed handles and work with more variety of inlay this could spark some interest. I will also say as much as I love M390 it doesn't make it the right steel for every knife and while due to importing options may be limited I would hope to see them work with more steels. On the subject of steels I currently have a more personal avoidance of D2 from Chinese companies as seen with a recent thread much of the steel labeled D2 coming out of China is not the D2 many of us know from knives made in the US and Europe. I would like to see something from any Chinese maker certifying that the D2 they use is the D2 we are used to.

My intention of the thread was to create a place for consumers to come together with members of WE Knife staff to discuss their products. WE has been supportive and encouraging of this. This thread is not in any way supposed to be limited to the questions I posed. Those are there to facilitate some discussion.

Thank you for the input.

I really like that they aren't afraid to make wharncliffes. Several cool ones to choose from. I plan on picking one up. If I could offer any constructive criticism it would be that several of their designs are "loud" for lack of a better word. Crazy colors, shapes, pocket clips, star hardware. But there are many I really like the looks of. The zephyr, wasabi, practic, 705 etc. are good looking for sure.:thumbsup:

I will add things like the Helix are very interesting new additions and definitely steps in the direction I want to see them go with taking some risk and trying something that is different and puts more variety into their line-up.

I think they have a new lock in development now and are working on a slipjoint, both of which, I believe are supposed to come out next year.

And the heattreat of VG10 by WE is excellent compared to some other manufacturers.

Their heat treatment has been very impressive across the board. I have a WE 616 in M390 that I used every day for more than a year before touching the edge. And I like to keep my edges razor sharp!

Maybe it is possible to edit the first posting with additions/feedback/suggestions/improvements posted here? I will bring this list with me during meetings.

Maybe it is possible to edit the first posting with additions/feedback/suggestions/improvements posted here? I will bring this list with me during meetings.

Title and original post have been edited as such for some clarification.

As always, thank you Henk!

What did you not like about the BLITZ? Anything more than the studded tire texture of the scales?

Thanks. Ray

It was just the scale texture that bothered me. It has a good grip in hand but was quite literally impossible to get in a pocket without shredding your pocket.

Only thing I would suggest is that in the knives with anodizing ppresent on the outer pivots, possibly recessing that part into the handle. Anodizing doesn't last well when it's laid down on a table and is the highest part of the handle. Think on the practic if this is confusing. I'd rather see the pivot recessed into the handle so the anodizing doesn't wear off. And I guess if I have to nitpick, I'd like to see more G-10/carbon fiber designs. Titanium is slippery and I'd like to see more practical type EDC's. I think you guys have made it super clear that you have superior quality, fit and finish in your products and with the exception of Spyderco, there is a gaping hole in knife makers that specialize in these types of designs. Take Kershaw, ZT, Benchmade and Gerber for example. Kershaw used to fill that niche well years and years ago but between their piss poor QC on grinds, finishing and sharpening and also terrible heat treat of steels like m390 and s35v this leaves a huge marketplace for US buyers that desire a functional EDC with good fit and finish for a reasonable price. Benchmade QC is so-so and their prices are way too high, Gerber is a joke, so that basically leaves us Spyderco. They're too big for me and that hole makes for a super wide folder. But it's my only choice if I want something I can afford and be comfortable ordering online because their quality reputation is great. I LOVE what I'm seeing with knives like the practic, rectifier and the whole of the civivi line. I would love to see WE fill this void in the knife market. But I digress. Love the new designs you're bringing out and keep the m390 coming!

I'd like to see a 618 with a blade length of 3.25 / 3.375 and a more user friendly thumb stud. The epitome of a "gentleman's" knife is being discreet.

I would jump on it in a second!

Last edited:
I'd love to see a Chinese company make a product based on traditional Chinese knives. Perhaps a Shilin Cutter or Uyghur Knife?

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-magnificent-shilin-cutter.1535399/

IxCSUTE.jpg

Very impressed with the two We knives bought from Massdrop so far.

WE questions

1) Are there torx screw replacement kits for the star screws of earlier models? A yes, to this question could help sell off some older stock.

2) What's with the harpoon tips? :confused: Cool factor? Anything else?

Just sayin'

Ray
I have heard of Allen (6 sided) recesses, TORX recesses, and TORX PLUS recesses, but I am not sure what a star (screw) recess is. What is the nature of the original WE recess, and to which recess is WE moving?

I wish WE would not use the zero grind/edge that is featured on some knives. It makes for worse slicing and would be difficult to maintain the bevel.
The WE 718 is one of the best looking knives but it has that grind.
I applaud WE for using thinner stock on some knives. I'd like to see more of that.
From what I've seen and experienced the Civivi line seems to deliver unmatched value. Nice job.

How about some micarta options?

I love the micarta knives that reate made for Liong Mah and Pena X...

Back