Contego or Adamas?

I have a lot of Benchmades but not a big tactical one.I can't decide between the two.I haven't any of the two.I prefer the m4 steel,but don't like coatings .I like better the Adamas construction but what about the D2 steel and fat grind.Will it be able to go 40 degrees inclusive?None of them will be for EDC.Is the Adamas the strongest axis Benchmade really?
Any help please?

None of both.
Contego has uncomfortable notching on the handle edges and quite flimsy handle - can be squeezed by hand. Adamas is unwieldy, fat handle and bevels. From the comparatively new "heavy duty" models I'd recommend Presidio II (570). Not ideal, but at least can be used as knife.
If you want a knife not for use and choosing exactly from both of your variants - IMHO Contego more interesting, despite its flaws. Osborne "alien" design and how heavy blade jumps out inertially from the handle make some knife magic.

Also I consider the new Turret or PresidioII.I own the mini PresidioII,I love it but aluminum scales scratch easily .Turret?

Check the Contego exclusive(s) from Knifeworks. $140 on sale now for either the black/blue or black/gray option. G10 on full-steel liners (not squeezing anything by hand there...) and M390 steel (no coating) plus the handle edges are rounded out more than original 810 for those with delicate hands, from what I understand. I own the black / blue layered one and it's a hell of a deal for that price for that much knife.

I've owned both, one Adamas and two Contegos (M4/coated and M390). I still own the Adamas.

If it weren't for the humidity here in the PNW, I'd have kept the M4 Contego a bit longer; I suspect the sharp edges on the handle would eventually have driven me to sell it.

The M390 Contego was gorgeous, with no sharp handle bits and a top-flight steel for corrosion resistance. But the handle is so long that, even with large hands (size L glove), I couldn't brace the butt in my palm to close the knife -- ironically, the sharp end of the base model M4 Contego made this effortless. The butt on the exclusive is so smooth that it just slipped out of my grip every time.

My Adamas has served me well as a knife, a hammer, and a screwdriver, and taken everything I've thrown at it without flinching. The D2 is fantastic, as are the beefed-up pivot and Axis bar. The massively thick handle does what it says on the tin.

I can't comment on sharpening angles, but I didn't buy the Adamas to be a slicer. For a thick knife, I've never had any issues cutting what I needed to cut with it.

Another vote here for the Knifeworks Contegos with the M390 blade. The G10 layered handles are smoother than the standard Contegos, and very comfortable & ergonomic in hand. Plus $139.95 is a really good price, it used to go for around $200.

Reactions: vba
A 40-degree inclusive on the Adamas is going to be pushing it. You'll have some wide bevels, especially near the tip.

I've had many 275/2750's. I would get the 2750 if you can own an auto. Grind/ tip/ swedge is thinner, and still very unbreakable.Don't hate 810, but don't care for handle or blade one bit, uncomfortable. If want toughest of tough, get Adamas. Benchmade D2 is very good. Given choice tho would choose m4. But knife design means more to me than steel, and think Adamas is much better than contego in that regard. Imo.

9pZ51M4.jpg

Check the Contego exclusive(s) from Knifeworks. $140 on sale now for either the black/blue or black/gray option. G10 on full-steel liners (not squeezing anything by hand there...) and M390 steel (no coating) plus the handle edges are rounded out more than original 810 for those with delicate hands, from what I understand. I own the black / blue layered one and it's a hell of a deal for that price for that much knife.

We need to decide whose hands more delicate - mine abraded with crude texturing, or yours - that can't grip the handle firmly enough to feel flexibility of thin steel liners.

As for the sturdiness of 810-vs-275 - they're comparatively equal. Pivots in both is 1/4 in. " sorta heavy duty" (nevertheless I prefer screws with coarse threads). Contego liners thinner - slightly bigger load in axis-lock on them, but feels like they heat treated to higher hardness ( you know - sorta 520-vs-710 liners). Stop pins plaсed equally poorly - right on the edge on the side of handles. Wearout margin of axis is minor on both.
Still, I think Contego slightly preferable, especially M390 version with discount price.

I would get the 2750 if you can own an auto. Grind/ tip/ swedge is thinner, and still very unbreakable.

this is absolutely true. I actually owned the auto first and thought “wow this is a nice sized blade.” Then is got the manual and was ecstatic

I have the standard version of both, and an M390 Contego, if I could only keep one, it would definitely be the M390, I also have size L hands and have no problem closing any if the three one handed. Adamas is the more stout of the 2 though.

The value is decent but I found that knife to be terrible in hand. The handle may be less aggressive but the jimping is what's truly problematic with the handle design and that's the same as before.

Have both, if I had to keep just one, it would be the Adamas. Feels like it will go through hell and ask for more. I've thrown more at it than any of my knives, and it's just gained character, and the actions gotten smoother. Great for actual hard use. I've pried, cut in the dirt, cut heavy duty strapping in -40° in deep snow, hammered (using the handle...dumb, I know, but in a pinch...), drilled holes using the blade tip, chipped away ice, you name it. Love that knife. Will probably pick up a second one at some point.

Had both the M390 Contego and the 275 Adamas. Unfortunately they along with the rest of my $25,000+ collection was stolen a couple of months ago. Starting from scratch to build up another collection but being much more careful of WHO I let know I have it all.

The M390 Contego is gorgeous. The 3D machined G10 is not nearly as rough as the standard 810. But like others have said above and I am sure will say below this post the 275 Adamas is near indestructible. The 275 folded up is like having a small brick in your pocket. But its never say die build quality and design have me looking for a good price on one I consider it worth the money.

I love my m390 Contego. If the jimping bothers you sand it down. No flex I can detect in mine. Thing is a tank. For 140 it's a no brainer imo.

Had both the M390 Contego and the 275 Adamas. Unfortunately they along with the rest of my $25,000+ collection was stolen a couple of months ago.

I don't have much to offer here but just wanted to add that I hope you know who is responsible for this and you eventually receive some sort of justice or compensation here. That's a lot of money to lose. Doesn't matter what it was that was stolen. That's just massive and unacceptable. Good luck.

The Knifeworks Contego is on “final sales” for $139.95 at their website, looks like it’s being discontinued. Those who wants the M390 Contego, better grab it while you can.

Back