Contemporary twist on traditionals - where's yours

Chui

Gold Member
One of the great things about so many of the old style traditionals is how they keep true to their character and true to materials - this is true of Sheffield slippies particularly.

I utterly adore my old Westinghouse Micarta, Sambar Stag and burlwood slippies..........and so too do I love the developments, ingenuity and skill of many makers, new and old, to take some of these classic designs and give them a refreshing contemporary twist.

Took a handful quick pics today of the carbon-fibre family...

C-F%20Slippies.jpg

C-F%20Slippies%2002.jpg

C-F%20Slippies%2003.jpg

C-F%20Slippies%2004.jpg

Mods - I couldn't find a similar thread, but if there is one, please heave these over...

Traditionals huh? I've got a couple of those. They're not slipjoints, but since you didn't specify I'll share them.

One has American roots, the other Japanese.

31631520356_faa90368db_c.jpg

The bowie is a classic coffin-handle type, except this one has a black canvas micarta handle. The smaller knife is a modern version of the kwaiken, though with an etched blade and cord-wrapped, epoxy-impregnated handle. Both are contemporary takes on traditional knives.

- that's a stunner chuko chuko .....and, Jim gets such crisp nail nicks, eh :cool:

Last edited:
One of the great things about so many of the old style traditionals is how they keep true to their character and true to materials - this is true of Sheffield slippies particularly.

I utterly adore my old Westinghouse Micarta, Sambar Stag and burlwood slippies..........and so too do I love the developments, ingenuity and skill of many makers, new and old, to take some of these classic designs and give them a refreshing contemporary twist.

C-F%20Slippies.jpg

C-F%20Slippies%2002.jpg

C-F%20Slippies%2003.jpg

C-F%20Slippies%2004.jpg

Mods - I couldn't find a similar thread, but if there is one, please heave these over...

Paul,these are all stunners,but that Ruple ,oh my.

Oh, the traditional front flipper with a skull .. can't leave those out.

Lol. This is one feature that would fit nicely with the traditional look though - a flipper is just rudimentary enough to fit well with the traditional aesthetic.

C-F%20Slippies.jpg

C-F%20Slippies%2002.jpg

C-F%20Slippies%2003.jpg

C-F%20Slippies%2004.jpg

Great group! I esp. like that Dowell Dogleg.

Oh, the traditional front flipper with a skull .. can't leave those out.

Sure we can ;)
Even if it is called the "Suwannee River Sodbuster", it's still a front flipper with a liner lot. So that post is now in a thread in General.

Sorry, I didn't realize that the no one hand opener or lock rule applied in this thread due to the title.

I meant no harm, but sincere apologies.

C-F%20Slippies.jpg

C-F%20Slippies%2002.jpg

C-F%20Slippies%2003.jpg

C-F%20Slippies%2004.jpg

They're all nice, but that Dowell...WOW!

Hello chui... you read my mind ;)

Modern materials give so much scope for variety.

33jmkhc.jpg

2eqdout.jpg

24xfjnr.jpg

Who made the blue carbon fiber knife? How about a shot of it with the blade open?

Here's my one knife that I count as a modern traditional. I need to take more pictures of it - this one is getting a bit perfunctory.

4lB4YZr.jpg

- that's a beaut Pomsbz Pomsbz think I must me get one of those :)

How's the walk n talk, the centering and the general f&f....?

Back