• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

CONUS only

Can a U.S. seller get into trouble (for fraud or some other criminal offense) for shipping a knife overseas and declaring the value of the knife at a fraction of its value (because the buyer so requested)? I have principally been a US and Canada-only seller, but I have had inquries from interested potential buyers in Asia and elsewhere overseas who have asked me if I would reconsider shipping overseas, and if so, would I be willing to declare the price or value of the knife at a fraction of the selling price. I have refused to do this.This strikes me as somewhat similar to being asked to describe the a knife as a "camping tool" rather than a knife or cutlery.

I have never asked anyone to "undervalue" a knife and I never will.

I was asked by customs recently to prove payment on my package. I had to show the Paypal reciept and my credit card statement. Because my shipment was fully declared there were no problems.However had I attempted a dodge I would have been fined, red flagged and all my shipments would be stopped.
As for the dangers faced by US shippers who lie on their declarations all I can say is why open yourself up to problems? It is not worth it.

I ask my sellers to describe my knives as either "Folding Knife" or "Fixed Blade Knife"
A check of your countries custom tariff heading will give you the correct description.

I consider the duty, shipping and other charges simply part of the knife's cost.
Do not lie and perjure yourself. I would not do business with anyone who asked me to do so.

I have absolutely no problem with people refusing to ship outside their own borders. It's a decision that I can respect.

What did he advised you as description - "big tactical knife designed for killing people"?[/I]

Of course not. Our postal workers get a bad rap, there no more likely to
kill someone with a knife than the next guy.

He simpy said..."Knife?

I've been wondering something about declared value & insurance. Obviously you want to insure the package for a value that will easily cover a replacement, which can sometimes be quite a bit more than what you're actually paying if you're getting a good deal, and quite a bit more than what the knife actually retailed for. I feel the insurance should cover lost $ on shipping, the cost of quickly replacing it without having to hunt around for a great bargain or haggle excessively and take into account shipping for that & paypal/money order fees, but you shouldn't be taxed for more than what you actually paid or what the knives retail value was (in the case of trades), but they always just seem to tax you on insured value which I dont think is fair at all.

What do you guys think?

Tax is based on total amount including the goods + shipping + insurance. Tax free limit now is around 150 EUR in EU. Not enough for custom knife but enough for many factory knives. BTW I never insured any shipment and got all without any problems (and without having to pay taxes + custom fee).

BTW it does not mean if you insured your package for certain amount you will get the amount when the package gets lost. You will have to submit proof the shipment indeed was that expensive.

Back