Convex reprofiling

I'm wanting to get my GSO 4.1 reprofiled from a saber grind to a full convex. Any body know who can do this for me?

I've done that before but you will not be happy with it. There is not enough material at the edge to get a flowing convex. When I blended it into convex, the edge was fairly thin and would not hold up to much/any abuse due to angle and material behind it. In order to do it you would need to grind down the edge of the knife back until you got into a thicker section. Grinding the edge back you really change the look of the knife, that is something you have to decide. I know I didn't answer your question but thought you would want to know that.

I've done that before but you will not be happy with it. There is not enough material at the edge to get a flowing convex. When I blended it into convex, the edge was fairly thin and would not hold up to much/any abuse due to angle and material behind it. In order to do it you would need to grind down the edge of the knife back until you got into a thicker section. Grinding the edge back you really change the look of the knife, that is something you have to decide. I know I didn't answer your question but thought you would want to know that.

Sounds like a sharpening issue and not a blade issue. Convex is not a cut and dry term to be used loosely. Sharpening is about angle not what shape it is.

TooQuiet,

I would recommend only connvexing the saber ground section, going higher is a obvious regrind of the whole blade and is not always the best answer. I've done a few recently, here is a BK2 I just finished up using waterstones, video will be out n a few days.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Sounds like a sharpening issue and not a blade issue. Convex is not a cut and dry term to be used loosely. Sharpening is about angle not what shape it is.

TooQuiet,

I would recommend only connvexing the saber ground section, going higher is a obvious regrind of the whole blade and is not always the best answer. I've done a few recently, here is a BK2 I just finished up using waterstones, video will be out n a few days.

View attachment 439458

I agree, sharpening is about the angle and there are many different levels to the term convex, however a full convex as mentioned would change the shape. If a convex edge is all that is desired then, like you said you could do it by hand.

Jason,
I was planning on sending it your way this week so you could work your magic!

TooQuiet,

View attachment 439458

Nice work Jason!! Looking forward to that video!

Back