Convexing question...

monk3yfist

Gold Member
I got to thinking... Since all HI khukuri come with convex edges, how do the people of nepal maintain the edge after heavy use? Are they sitting down w/ sandpaper and mousepads? Using belt sanders? Just thought I would ask.

yeah, I have used a stone for the same purpose. A dished out stone worked nicely for putting a full convex bevel on a knife I made, but I got a decent effect with a flat stone by rocking the blade back and forth with each stroke on an old bowie. it also helps if you have it under running water.

By "rocking back and forth" do you mean rolling the blade edge/lifting the spine?

i do it by maintaining a shallower angle at the start of the stroke and by rotating my wrist increase the angle as i go, lifting the spine. edge trailing of course. flip and repeat on other side.

To be completely honest, I would be very surprised if all (or even most) users take active measures to maintain a convex edge outside of the incidental mild convexing effect that comes naturally from freehand sharpening.

Going to a flat microbevel will not destroy performance. The tree will not notice the difference.

Makes a person pause to reflect that folk got by for centuries prior to the availability of wet or dry sandpaper and mousepads. The option is certainly nice to have, but it's not the only way to go if you don't want to.

I generally don't convex my blades. Of the three HIs I have I've only maintained one convex edge, and only a few of my other knives. I just read so much about convexing, belt sanding, etc and got to wondering how many people exclusively convex their blades, especially during long trips out in the field.

I use a cheap stone for putting an edge on my khuks; 1200# sandpaper and a leather belt for the finish. I find that the convex edge comes quite naturally on its own when a jig isn't used. The villager BGRS I have had a convex grind on one side and hollow grind on the other, and naturally the complete convexing of the hollow grind side will come in time. There's no point in forcing it - for a user.

Two of my khukuris are users (a bonecutter and a cak) and i use stones to touch up the edge on them. I finish them off w/ a leather belt.

Two of my khukuris are users (a bonecutter and a cak) and i use stones to touch up the edge on them. I finish them off w/ a leather belt.

Monk3yfist you'll be fine doing it the way you are. I've never met or known anyone who was able to get a perfectly flat edge bevel on one side of a blade, let alone on both sides sharpening strictly by hand with a hand held whetstone, not even a top notch machinist.;) :D Over time the average person will eventually *rock* a convexed edge on their knife or any other edged tool just out of the necessity of keeping it sharp.
Years ago when I was a kid and just starting out learning how to sharpen a knife, hatchet, or axe it was mainly from watching one of my elder kin. No one worried about what kind of an angle was going to be on the edge, all they wanted was simply to have a *sharp* tool that would cut properly. :)

Also the average person didn't worry about keeping a perfectly flat face on their whetstone('s.)
My grandpa's old whetstone was worn and rounded off horribly on the one corner he sharpened his pocketknife on. When he got ready to sharpen his knife he'd get his old whetstone off the top of the cabinet in the kitchen and set down at the big old round kitchen table where he would spit on the stone and then using a circular motion he'd start sharpening. When he got one blade to where he was happy with it he'd close it, open another one and proceed to sharpen that one until he had sharpened all the blades. I wouldn't say that was the right way to do it now but it was the only way he knew. I never saw him shave with a straight razor so I don't know how he sharpened them, hopefully not the same way he sharpened his pocketknife. ;) :)

I guarantee you they were all sharp enough to shave arm or leg hair or cut an unwary boy's finger if he wasn't watching and being careful on those rare days when his grandpa would let him whittle something under his watchful eye, fond memories those days. ;) :D :cool:

Back