Convince Me: Let's See Some Nessmucks

As one who has yet to enlighten themselves :D, I like my 3/16" Nessmuck. The thing is a a beast, but it still slices well enough for what I do. To each his own. Cheers!

The camp Nessie and nessmuk are my second and third favorite profiles that Andy produces. As many have alluded, a 5/32 or 3/16 camp Nessie will handle most tasks that you could throw at a small hatchet without breaking a sweat. The camp handles are super comfy, and provide extra room when batoning. Granted it will not out work a Hudson Bay sized axe or a larger hatchet, but the size/weight savings is awesome! In the nessmuk, I like 'em thin with a high grind for delicate slicing and camp food prep, however a 5/32 or 3/16 nessmuk will handle just about anything you would expect a knife of its size to do. While I have sold the vast majority of my collection, I did just receive the below camp Nessie a few days ago. For me personally, 3/16 TT is perfect in this profile, and coupled with the naturally stable cocobolo and bolsters (standoff from natural handle material when batoning!), it will be a great user!

Hope this helps

IMG_0013_zps85o7gmdk.jpg

IMG_0023_zpspdxk8o5i.jpg

IMG_0024_zpspky2mqll.jpg

To get an as accurate as possible to the historical original, you need the thinnest blade you can get. Folks think his knife was a broken skinning knife. It would have had a kitchen thickness blade. When I was trying for very accurate Nessmuks I carried 1/8" or thinner.

Awesome Andy, I'd love to see more 1/8TT and 3/32 muks in the future! A while back you did a few special (heritage?) nessmuks in 3/32 with a real low (almost Scandi) grind; I was fortunate enough to have scored one and man was it a SWEET knife! Shame I had to sell it, but if another ever surfaced I'd be hard pressed not to be all over it!!

Here are a couple more pictures! I love my 1/8 TT Nessmuk. I also love my 3/16 Camp Muk.
1cf185742b86e96909805aff73c9c56f.jpg

e25ce11775b5cd273fb00d5b80705a4f.jpg

e6e2d2d487ca0f876d56aa14392774ac.jpg

Sears believed in carrying a trio of tools, rather than some big heavy knife that was supposed to do everything. He carried a very small double bit hatchet, a belt knife with a thin blade, and a pocketknife. The blade shape excels at skinning and camp food prep. Its not a wonder knife for bushcrafting though. The back of the knife was supposed to be used to eat his potatoes like a spoon. His little book is a great read. You can download it on the net for free. Search for George Washington Sears.

Thanks! I have heard of Sears and his trio before, but I have not gotten to reading any of his work yet. What I was trying to get at was the purpose and function of the blade shape, and it seems like it is more of a specialized design. It comes down to the purpose of a knife and what tradeoffs you make in function by choosing to use one over another. I would like to get one eventually, but I think I need a Hiking Buddy first!

Ok, ok, ok... Now the question I must ask myself is... which one is first? Because, I have to collect all four. That's right. I'm going to NEED that mukchopper just because of its awesomeness.

in this order.........
Nessmuk for the belt
Camp Muk for the pack
Minimuk for the back pocket
Stubbymuk for the front pocket

that would really mess up George Washington Sears

I'm starting to think I want the minimuk, or stubymuk first because I want a new pocket edc blade. I'd use it a lot, and everyday. I think I'll get a campmuk, or a nessmuk at blade show this year [emoji41][emoji106]. So, help me out. Would it be too much to ask for in hand user shots of the little guys?

I'm starting to think I want the minimuk, or stubymuk first because I want a new pocket edc blade. I'd use it a lot, and everyday. I think I'll get a campmuk, or a nessmuk at blade show this year [emoji41][emoji106]. So, help me out. Would it be too much to ask for in hand user shots of the little guys?

i think the stubbymuk handle might be a little to bulbous for pocket carry... the minimuk handle definitely has a "slimmer" or "flatter" profile especially for back pocket carry.

Can't help you there. I dont have a Stubbymuk or a Minimuk.
Not yet anyway...

The stubby's are the bomb... (and probably indicative of the overall market trend toward smaller knives.)

Mini%2520Muk-X2.jpg

i know you are a big stubbymuk fan Swo.

do you agree w/ my sentiment that the handle is a bit big for pocket carry?

you have more experience carrying one than me

I've been carrying my Case baby-butterbean here lately; but, I'm fatter than the combination of the three holiday turkeys and two hams that we ate over the last month and my pants are so tight you can not only tell how much change is in my pocket, but you can even tell if it's heads or tails..... I ride a desk chair these days and a fixed blade is way overkill for me as all I really need to cut is the plastic strap on the paper boxes that feed the network printer that is directly across from my cube -- worst location ever... I also use the scissors on a SAK original classic to trim my mustache when it gets a little unwieldy, but I keep that in the desk drawer and make the trip up to the second floor bathroom since the procedure often leaves a little historical residue.

Truth be told, other than the awesome RUNT pocket on the calf of my uniforms when I was in the Navy; I've only carried a Bark River Micro Canadian as a pocket fixed blade. My limit is about 3 inches and it has to be tight. Even the Runt (or at least the thick handled ones) are too thick for me. But again, on average, I dominate my cube for about 95.7% of the workday and spend the other 4.3% trimming my mustache.

However, I am quite looking forward to your "Altoids Tin" knife and hope it's like the "dip can special" which I was so looking forward to. BTW, what is the status of that little project?

A09EF0AD-461A-4970-8BB3-DC67CD7E842E_zps34ago6do.jpg

Back