Convince Me: Let's See Some Nessmucks

I've been carrying my Case baby-butterbean here lately; but, I'm fatter than the combination of the three holiday turkeys and two hams that we ate over the last month and my pants are so tight you can not only tell how much change is in my pocket, but you can even tell if it's heads or tails..... I ride a desk chair these days and a fixed blade is way overkill for me as all I really need to cut is the plastic strap on the paper boxes that feed the network printer that is directly across from my cube -- worst location ever... I also use the scissors on a SAK original classic to trim my mustache when it gets a little unwieldy, but I keep that in the desk drawer and make the trip up to the second floor bathroom since the procedure often leaves a little historical residue.

Truth be told, other than the awesome RUNT pocket on the calf of my uniforms when I was in the Navy; I've only carried a Bark River Micro Canadian as a pocket fixed blade. My limit is about 3 inches and it has to be tight. Even the Runt (or at least the thick handled ones) are too thick for me. But again, on average, I dominate my cube for about 95.7% of the workday and spend the other 4.3% trimming my mustache.

However, I am quite looking forward to your "Altoids Tin" knife and hope it's like the "dip can special" which I was so looking forward to. BTW, what is the status of that little project?

A09EF0AD-461A-4970-8BB3-DC67CD7E842E_zps34ago6do.jpg

i have one that has been heat treated and that is about as far as i got. With all the added responsibilities i have now as seen here.....
I'm asking Phillip to take on yet another task

i have a full plate while im at the shop, now here @ 10:40pm and i keep up with the sale thread on the weekends....long story short, i ready to go home when it is time and do not feel like working on "my own stuff"

Nice thread guys. The muks have been on my list since I first found Fiddleback forge, just waiting for the right one to jump out at me on friday. Would really love to see a Nessmuk in 1/8 or 3/32 with natural bolster and a burlap!!

One of the first 'batch' of knives I made. I had made about 4 or 5 one off knives at this point. This was the first bar of steel I had bought. Made 6 Nessmuks. This is one of those 6.

AD37-vi.jpg

This was the whole batch.

Dness82-vi.jpg

At that time I was really digging those Old Hickory re-vamped into a Nessmuk projects.

eb32-vi.jpg

A few months after that first batch, you can see I was starting to play with the thong hole tubing...

bc45-vi.jpg

One of the first 'batch' of knives I made. I had made about 4 or 5 one off knives at this point. This was the first bar of steel I had bought. Made 6 Nessmuks. This is one of those 6.

AD37-vi.jpg

This was the whole batch.

Dness82-vi.jpg

At that time I was really digging those Old Hickory re-vamped into a Nessmuk projects.

eb32-vi.jpg

A few months after that first batch, you can see I was starting to play with the thong hole tubing...

bc45-vi.jpg

Were you born making knives?! You're good, man. I really can't wait to get one.

I started when I was 30 ish. But I've always gone around carving walking sticks and making bows. Before I started making knives I was making furniture a little bit.

Just received my first Nessmuk from the Flea Market...Thanks icybluesmile. Sitting around warming up on the counter in a mineral oil bath as it was 35F in the mailbox. WOW, beefy, stunning, great hand feel, balanced (TT 1/8" 01) and razor sharp.

24048825584_6ad4200517_h.jpg

BTW, for those of you worried about using your Fiddlebacks, buy one that's actually been used and the worry ends.

...BTW, for those of you worried about using your Fiddlebacks, buy one that's actually been used and the worry ends.

This for sure :thumbup: -- for gods sake use 'em folks that's the fun part! Glad you're liking the knife; that one has a good lineage; I remember when mist first got it an did his review; I was convinced I needed a 1/8 TT 'muk!

This for sure[emoji106]-- for gods sake use 'em folks that's the fun part! Glad you're liking the knife; that one has a good lineage; I remember when mist first got it an did his review; I was convinced I needed a 1/8 TT 'muk!
That's what convinced me to get mine!

After using Nessmuks, I never went back to thick bladed knives. I learned to baton carefully, never to pry, and loved the improved cutting power of the thinner blade. Nowadays I never carry anything thicker than 1/8".

Then why we still did not see longer blades in 3/32, at list 4"? you've been telling that a month or so ago that you plan to do some 4+" blade in thin stack. I also does not remember any 5-6" blades in 1/8 recently ( I might miss something though) like hunter, camp, big sneaky, woodsman. the only one I remember came in thin stack is gaucho and Padre, which kind of was made as "kitchen-like" knife.

I would love to have ladyfinger, ASP and probably Shank in 3/32 ( though my 1/8 Shank is one of my favorites). I would like to have Woodsman in 1/8 and Scorpion in 3/32 or 1/8.

Last edited:
Man a Woodsman in 1/8 is a tricky one to finish. Hunter too. We have an 1/8" Bushcrafter Sr this week and I remember a couple of those recently. I'll talk to Allen and get in more 3/32" stock Taja. I do generally stick to the smaller ones with 3/32. I have kind of held off after getting a very thin 1/8" Hunter with a high grind back once. The customer had batonned it and the tip broke off. Well, I thought, that is one of the functions of a Hunter. He had bought it used from someone that obviously used it a lot and well. I replaced it with a 5/32" thick one and after that I held back making the thin stuff in models intended for rough usage. I think the Ladyfinger and Shank are appropriate for it though. The Scorpion too. I need to redesign that Scorpion and make more of them.

Hi Andy, i know you back your knives with a very generous warranty. Looking at the recent requests for thinner larger knives for lets say kitchen use would it make sense that you exclude specific combos from the warranty? I know this is a PITA to manage but would protect you on the long run. Just food for thought as i clearly see the issue with thinner blades being used for the wrong application. Maybe focus on two knives only which are doable for you to make it easier....

Hmm, a dedicated Fiddleback kitchen line. I'm in. Those bullseyes sticking out of a knife block would be awesome. There are only a couple of current models, in thin stock, I would keep in the kitchen, but they are either extremely rare or in 3/16" and generally carbon steel. How about some matching pairs of new design 8" chef & small paring knives. Maybe a cleaver. Can you guys make a serrated bread knife too :)

Yall can have that thin stuff on the larger knives, but I've been keeping an eye for some more thinner than 5/32nds 4" models

Hi Andy, i know you back your knives with a very generous warranty. Looking at the recent requests for thinner larger knives for lets say kitchen use would it make sense that you exclude specific combos from the warranty? I know this is a PITA to manage but would protect you on the long run. Just food for thought as i clearly see the issue with thinner blades being used for the wrong application. Maybe focus on two knives only which are doable for you to make it easier....

Likely, like we did for the thinner Hunter above we would just go ahead and warranty the knife. When you go further than your warranty it makes the customer happy. Usually thats what we do. I was even trying to warranty the knife that drove me to add the stupidity clause to the warranty. That guy had batonned a skinner into pin knotty Ash destroying the thin edge on the thin blade. He was furious and wouldn't even allow me to warranty the knife. Kept claiming I offered no warranty. I was fuming by the end as well. I still tried to warranty the knife even though it was obviously abuse. When I got it back from Derrick, I was shocked at how little damage had been caused. It was easily fixable at the sharpening stones.

That said it wouldn't do to make too many of them and invite the problem...

Likely, like we did for the thinner Hunter above we would just go ahead and warranty the knife. When you go further than your warranty it makes the customer happy. Usually thats what we do. I was even trying to warranty the knife that drove me to add the stupidity clause to the warranty. That guy had batonned a skinner into pin knotty Ash destroying the thin edge on the thin blade. He was furious and wouldn't even allow me to warranty the knife. Kept claiming I offered no warranty. I was fuming by the end as well. I still tried to warranty the knife even though it was obviously abuse. When I got it back from Derrick, I was shocked at how little damage had been caused. It was easily fixable at the sharpening stones.

That said it wouldn't do to make too many of them and invite the problem...

It's REALLY hard to educate people when they're already self proclaimed experts. I say make thin stuff. I'd just give people fair warning, so they know what they're in for upon purchasing thin stock blades. I'd love to have a 1/16", or 3/32" scorpion, or lady finger at 6.5-7" in length, BUT... I'd be using it as a sushi knife [emoji6]. Just kee doing what you're doing. It's working just fine.

The Patch would be nice, too.

Last edited:
Messing around with my new 'muk on a navel orange.
24331856249_0f0ab25ddb_b.jpg

24331858829_d6a9ef5c71_b.jpg

24581767762_9118d3d8a7_b.jpg

24699563145_1c413fc7b5_b.jpg

This is going to be a great knife for making Sangria.
24581801662_fe39310b38_b.jpg

Back