Convince me on the bugout- should I get one?

kingston73

Gold Member
I think I’ve seen more written about the bugout then any other single model of knife and I’m not convinced. I felt the same way a long time ago about the pm2 and then ended up owning severs over the years. Now I’m getting the itch to try a bug out. My current carry is a super freek switched up every now and the with a hogue ritter. Will I like the bug out? Why?

I've had mine for about a year and a half and it's been in my pocket 90% of the time since I bought it. I had a positive impression when I first bought it but was a bit underwhelmed, as I usually am when I buy a knife and consider the price. But after I started carrying and using it, it became a favourite. I have no complaints about it and while I've been tempted to buy bronze or titanium or other aftermarket scales, I haven't because I really like the blue Grivory. People complain about the scales flexing when you purposely press down on them but I don't consider this an issue whatsoever. I wonder what will bump this out of my pocket.

You aren't going to get anymore insight here than from everything else you've read... it's a very light knife with nice ergonomics and blade dimensions. Buy one and find out for yourself and post your impressions here.

I've been seeing a lot regarding the new hogue deka being comparable to the bugout. May be something else to consider if you're still shopping around.
cheers2.gif

I’ve carried my Bugout every single day since I purchased it in August 2017 with the exception of plane trips. In the past I’ve EDCed a Benchmade Ritter Mini Grip, a Southern Grind Spider Monkey, a BM 940-2, etc. The Bugout far and away beats them all for me. It’s worth the hype, and I highly recommend it.

I've been seeing a lot regarding the new hogue deka being comparable to the bugout. May be something else to consider if you're still shopping around.
cheers2.gif

I thought so too but it's apparently much thicker behind the edge. That's the great thing about the bugout - it's a slicer!

I have carried a bugout almost exclusively since they came out. It pried me away from Spyderco. I did try a lightweight para 3 for about three weeks. Sold the para off and went back to my Bugout. I carry it on duty, and it gets used a lot. It has tackled everything I have thrown at it, cutting seatbelt material, wires, boxes, wood, etc. I have absolutely no complaints at all.

If you go into with a pre conceived expectation it is going to feel like a well built solid knife, you will be disappointed. It doesn't feel like a Para 2 or some other G10 handled EDC knife. That isn't a bad thing though, because it disappears when carrying it. When you use it, you never feel like it isn't capable. Yeah the handles will flex a tad, but you won't notice it when in use. Only when you intentionally squeeze them.

I have considered getting some G10 scales, but I can't really see the point. Mine started life as the blue versions, and I modded them with black scales, and removed the blue ano.

Benchmade did a good job on the design of the Bugout, as you get a lot of blade in a small package. The blade to handle ratio is perfect.

I highly recommend picking one up, if you aren't impressed with it when you first get it, give a bit, It will grow on you and you won't likely carry anything else after the Bugout.

The Bugout doesn't have inlayed scales, of fancy curves. It wasn't built to win most innovative knife of the year. It was built to perform as an excellent EDC.

oqkPz7t.jpg

TXPO

Last edited:
the Bugout is a cool little knife and I'm glad I picked mine up, but don't expect it to blow your mind in comparison to your Freek and Ritter. However if you go into it knowing that, and are looking for a small lightweight knife perfect for most cutting tasks you'll ever need, then it is certainly a solid choice. For me, while the original scales are certainly sufficient, it was the plethora of aftermarket options that pushed me over the edge and convinced me to finally get one (I went with micarta). I won't say that it is the only thing I want to carry now or that it is my favorite Benchmade, but it has certainly made its way into my core collection of carry knives.

AKdluut.jpg

They come up on the exchange pretty frequently. It might be worth finding one there and if you don't like it put it back up there and you only paid a few bucks to try it.

I have the BHQ exclusive and it is one of my favorites to carry.

Well, I decided to get one and it's in the mail. I found one with those exact micarta scales, you didn't just sell yours did you?

Well, I decided to get one and it's in the mail. I found one with those exact micarta scales, you didn't just sell yours did you?

Nope. Still got mine. I Look forward to your thoughts when you get it in

Question- how well does the grey coated blade hold up? I’m not worried about scratches, I actually like the “used” look black blades get. I’m just curious.

Hopefully some members who have had theirs longer than me can chime in on how the coating wears because I just picked mine up at the end of last year, but I should have noted that I put a stonewashed finish on the one I pictured above

The coating holds up well in my experience. Other things do tend to rub/scratch on it and looks like it's wearing faster than it is.

I have two, both with aftermarket CF scales. It was my most carried knife in 2019.

If you like more than two of the following, buy it : 3.25 inch blade, thin blade stock, high flat grind (almost full flat), very small pocket footprint, full 4 finger grip, no wasted cutting edge with a finger choil, lightweight, not “tacticool” looking.

If you don’t like the “plastic” scales, get aftermarket scales, they transform the knife from good to great.

If you break omega springs, use your knife as a prybar, dislike exposed tangs when closed or need the latest, greatest Instagramable titanium bearing flipper photo model, this is not the knife you are looking for.

Back