Copper scales experience?

Those of you that have used or handled copper scales, what do you think? Do they oxidize and get gross? Turn your hands green? Too heavy? ... or are they awesome?

Weight is the major issue for those that care. The extra heft that comes with some aftermarket scales is usually welcome to me. As far as looks, I think most people that like copper enjoy letting their scales form a natural or forced patina. It's one of the nice attributes of copper as far as I'm concerned.

Mike

Those of you that have used or handled copper scales, what do you think? Do they oxidize and get gross? Turn your hands green? Too heavy? ... or are they awesome?
Yes, you get a patina.
As gross as you like. You can polish the scales ....or not.
Heavy? Depends on the individual. I have a PM2 with brass scales and a PM2 with ti scales. Quality scales and I like them, they have a nice heft to them but at the same time the extra heft sort of negates the idea of the light weight stock PM2. YMMV.

I have a copper natrix and I love the copper handles. They are majorly weight relieved, so it’s not too heavy for me. I do love the patina that’s forms though. It’s always changing depending on where you are, how much you hold it, what you have on your hands when you hold it. It’s also fun to figure out what turns the copper certain colors. Right now my Natrix has a splotchy patina that changes colors between purple and green depending on how you look at it. So yeah copper handles are awesome in my experience. I’ll try to get pictures up if I can figure it out.

They're incredibly odorous, the copper smell was overwhelming to me and it stuck to my hands afterwards. If your sense of smell is bad or you just don't care or you actually enjoy the scent of copper then they are fantastic I imagine.

Myself, I find brass to be much more bearable and it patinas just as well if not better.

Yeah brass seems to make way more sense, I was just curious since flytanium has copper but not brass for the delica. Brass would be ideal.

I have a copper flashlight.
It smells and the hand smells after usage.

I love brass and copper (I do prefer brass) stuff but this is the one negative imo. They are pretty smelly. As a side note, the patinas may look gross, dirty and old to some but brass and copper have anti microbial properties so they are relatively clean if that makes sense.

Heavy, soft, and poisonous. Brass is much better. But why not Ti instead ?

Heavy, soft, and poisonous. Brass is much better. But why not Ti instead ?

Poisonous? Maybe if your eating or drinking it! I don't think copper scales on a knife would into play as a danger even in hot sweaty environments! As a matter of fact copper is an essential trace element.

Copper is fine. Copper oxide (the green stuff) not so much. Can you prevent your scale from oxidation ?

Poisonous? Maybe if your eating or drinking it! I don't think copper scales on a knife would into play as a danger even in hot sweaty environments! As a matter of fact copper is an essential trace element.
oo

Copper is fine. Copper oxide (the green stuff) not so much. Can you prevent your scale from oxidation ?

oo

Yes you could use spray on clear coat or other treatment? I'm guessing most people that like copper like to see either a natural or forced patina on their scales. Many people that force a nice patina then clear coat it to preserve the colors. I love the look of copper. Especially with a nice patina but it's not for everyone. Different strokes for different folks.

Mike

ferider said:
I've had copper knife scales and flashlights; and none of them have turned green. I could force that type of patina; but it hasn't happened naturally on mine.
Copper vs brass? Depends on which patina one likes better.

I have a 52100 Para 3 with Cooper scales that I use in my EDC rotation. It's hefty for sure, but I love my patina machine. Forced the patina on the blade with home-made pickle juice, and let the copper scales develop a natural one. I wish the iridescent blue/green phase was more resilient, but they got rubbed down pretty quickly. Still very nice looking tho. I'll post a pic later if I remember.

Not the most glamorous photos, but here is my EDC Para 3 with 52100 and copper Flytanium.
These are just cellphone photos taken at work with puke-green walls...

Tried to get the iridescence of the natural patina that has formed on the scales (hard to).
blade had a patina forced on it with homemade pickle brine.

Patina'd 52100 Para 3 with Cooper Flytanium scales

Back