Photos Coral Creek Hike

For this years backpacking trip, I decided to hit up a place called Coral Creek, in the Rocky Mountain foothills. The rain that we had been getting all June and July seemed to subside this past week, so I figured it would be dry enough to take our chances. Packed up the kiddo and doggo, and headed out to the area called David Thompson Country.

Hit the trailhead just before noon. The area was busy, due to everyone not travelling abroad this year. However, there was still room in the parking lot, and the trail was in good shape. We strapped on our bags and hit the trail.

Trail was in good condition, and we made good time. I was kinda winging it this trip, so I didn’t have a known campsite to go to. Figured we’d find something along the way, next to the creek somewhere or something.

Stopped for lunch at a beautiful lookout, overlooking the canyon.

That’s when I realized my first mistake: the full name of this Hike was Coral Creek Canyon Trail. Finding a place to get down to the water might be tricky.

Hiked up the trail for several kilometers, until Em’s shoulders were getting too sore. The canyon kept stretching on and on.

Made the decision to backtrack and try and find a place to camp closer to the trailhead. A few km’s back, stumbled upon a spring creek half hidden just off the trail. Followed it into the forest for a bit, and found an old campsite setup waiting for us.

First order of business was to get a fire started and cook up some grub. Left the fire starting in Em’s capable hands, while I gathered some firewood. Got the fire going, and fed the engines with some smokies.

A quick rest in the hammock, and got around to setting up the rest of the camp.

Boiled water for some freeze-dried grub, and sat around the fire for a bit. A thunderstorm rolled in around 11, so we hi-tailed it to the tent and watched the light show across the valley.

To be continued...

Next morning, I let Em sleep in, while I set about to make a proper pot hanger for the fire.

Go juice for us:

While I put the pot on to boil, I turned my attention to breakfast: my favorite meal of the day. Started with frying up some rehydrated hash browns:

Time to spice it up a little.

Next, a couple of scrambled eggs, with (of course) some bacon.

Warm up some tortilla shells, assemble, plate, topoff with some maple syrup, and enjoy!

https://flic.kr/p/2jtP7Fi

After breaky, we loaded up a daypack, and set out back up the trail. We were aiming to scramble up to Coral ridge, which promised spectacular views of the surrounding area. The morning was warm, and started getting warmer. The views of the area were worth it though.

The trail up to the ridge is not maintained, and not well marked, so we spent time alternating between following a faint trail, finding the odd cairn or trail marker, and outright bushwhacking. Add to that the steepness of the area, and the warmer that normal temps, and our progress was a little slow. Em still pushed on, without complaint, even with my constant nagging to see if she was ok.

Ended up blowing through all our water only 2/3rds of the way up. Not wanting to risk dehydration of either the kid or the dog, I decided to call it off. Managed to at least find a nice terrace to enjoy the views while we hid in the shade and munched on some snacks.

Lots more bushwhacking on the way down, but managed to make good time in the heat, and made it back to camp thirsty, but ok. Hudson wallowed in the water, Em soaked her feet, and I filtered enough water to drown our parched throats.

To be continued...

Rested up at camp for a while; Em worked on her project, while I set about getting firewood for the evening.

Wood processing tools:

Good enough for the evening.

Ded doggo.

Em using her trusty 16 to carve some wood.

Em’s fairy nook, set in a hollowed out stump.

Evening consisted of another freeze-dried meal, enjoying the fire, and resting our sore feet.
Next morning, we woke up, and while Em started the fire, I went about making some bacon and pancakes.

Easy hike back out to the trailhead. Booked it back home, staying in front of a stormfront blowing in.

All in all a good trip, some amazing scenery and good weather made it worthwhile. I kinda pushed Em a little too far; I realize she’s still new to my type of backcountry shenanigans, and might not be as comfortable wandering around the bush without a plan. Put on a lot of uphill miles on her feet this weekend. She didn’t once complain though, so I’m super proud of her. I promised her next year I’ll take her to a National Park, and do a hike with an actual maintained backcountry campsite. She seemed happy about that. I, on the other hand, realized my cardio is not the same as it was 10 years ago, and I need to get my ass in better shape lol.

On a side note, looks like this may be the last serious hike for Hudson. He’s developed a limp in his hind leg. He tore a tendon last winter, doing zoomies in -35° weather. He walks OK, but is very limpy afterwords, and has trouble getting up and walking after resting. I was hoping wasn’t too serious and would heal itself, but that’s not the case. He’s also 12 this year, and it’s just not worth it to shell out $$ for surgery. Kinda sad about that. He can still go on walks and day hikes though. Here buddy, have some bacon, you deserve it.

Damn that was windy lol. Thanks for all who suffered through all of that. Hope you enjoyed the pics at least.

Man, that must have sucked, haha. Awesome thread man, so full of win. Hiking, camping, food, spectacular views, and of course, knives. I can't believe how much Em has grown up! When the heck did that happen, haha? I remember your threads that seem like not so long ago, when she was still little.

Man, that must have sucked, haha. Awesome thread man, so full of win. Hiking, camping, food, spectacular views, and of course, knives. I can't believe how much Em has grown up! When the heck did that happen, haha? I remember your threads that seem like not so long ago, when she was still little.
Thanks brotha. It was a much-needed time to unplug and unwind.

...and don’t remind me. I swear to god she was like 6 years old yesterday. I can still remember when she got her first knife, her BK14, when I first joined the forums here,
and me hovering around her, certain she was gonna lop off a finger, while she was peeling some bark off a stick. She’s growing up far too fast for my liking :D

She'll be asking for the car before you know it. :eek: :D
…aaand thanks for the aneurysm.

A great way to spend a few days in country like that with good company! Thanks for sharing it with us.
Yeah, doesn’t get much better than that.

Awesome trip, man I enjoyed your pics.
Overwhelming nature over there!
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks man. Sad part is, I don’t think the pics even do the area justice. Beautiful there for sure.

thanks for bringing us along - that looks like an awesome area to hike/camp.
nice job on the sheath for Em's knife.
sad to hear Hudson is starting to show his age.
interesting to see how much Em's grown in the past year - in my brain she's still that little girl ready to size up her knife.

Fantastic thread and what an awesome adventure.

This kind of stuff is what has drawn me into our shared knife hobby and gear addiction.

Making lifetime memories with family, friends, and furry companions is what it’s all about!

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us!

Awesome thread! Your daughter handled her own exceptionally well too! Kudos! :)

What a great time.
Those views.
Yeah man I agree!
thanks for bringing us along - that looks like an awesome area to hike/camp.
nice job on the sheath for Em's knife.
sad to hear Hudson is starting to show his age.
interesting to see how much Em's grown in the past year - in my brain she's still that little girl ready to size up her knife.
Thanks Vik! She’s awfully proud of her sheath. First thing she did after she dropped her pack was pull out her knife. And I concur, she’s growing up way too damn fast.
Fantastic thread and what an awesome adventure.

This kind of stuff is what has drawn me into our shared knife hobby and gear addiction.

Making lifetime memories with family, friends, and furry companions is what it’s all about!

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us!
Thanks Molokai. Glad you liked it. Couldn’t agree more with everything you said!
Awesome thread! Your daughter handled her own exceptionally well too! Kudos! :)
Yeah she done good this trip. Thanks man!

This is exceptional! Thanks so much for sharing. My daughter is 7 going on 30 (seems like every time I turn around she’s getting older, taller, wiser, etc). This is very inspirational to men—get your daughters out in the woods, it’s just not a Father/son thing!
These pics are beautiful! Can’t wait to see more!
Ron
Beckerhead #32

Really nice looking hike and pictures. A lot better than my last hike for sure.

This gives inspiration to those of us with a daughter(s) and no son. Mines only 7 months but we take her on a day hike every couple weeks, weather permitting. She loves it out there. I plan to keep it up in hope that shell always love it out there.

Back