Cord wrapping a PSK knife

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
I hope this is clear enough to understand. I cord wrapped a PSK knife so if anyone ever needs to rewrap, this might help.
First, I use 58" of 550 cord. To start, run one end of the cord from the right side into the front hole. Bring the other end around to the left and put it through the same hole.

cord1.jpg

Next start wrapping until you get to the last two holes.

cord2.jpg

When you get to the end, run the cord through the top hole, under the loop on the right side and into the bottom hole pulling tight as you go. Bring it up under the loop on the left side.

cord3.jpg

Holding the end piece tight, use pliers to pull the front end tight. It will tighten the back end loop holding it in place.

cord4.jpg

When you're finished, cut the excess cord off close and melt it with a lighter.

Hope this makes sense.
Scott

Would it be worthwhile to make this tutorial a sticky for future reference:confused:

Scott, I notice that you apply the cord dry. Is there any benefit in pre-wetting the cord. I recall reading somewhere:confused: that this allows the cord to shrink and tighten around the handle as it dries. This may be a bunch of crap though, what do you think?

Scott, I notice that you apply the cord dry. Is there any benefit in pre-wetting the cord. I recall reading somewhere:confused: that this allows the cord to shrink and tighten around the handle as it dries. This may be a bunch of crap though, what do you think?

i don't know about that, but I am convinced to use superglue on the cord wrap it really makes a secure grip and keeps the cord from slipped off edges, etc.

Brett

I've heard the same thing and it probably does. I just worry with a wet cord against O1 steel guess what follows..........rust. maybe fast dry it in front of a fan.
Scott

I don't think nylon shrinks from water. Cotton cord or rawhide but not nylon.

I've tried wet cord and I really saw no noticible shrinkage. If you want it to fit tight try hairspray when the wrap is finished- you don't need very much, but it makes a VERY secure fit and is a bit less permanent than super glue.

What do you do about rust under the cord? If you use the knife at all, it will get wet. I don't want to think that I'd have to re-wrap the handle every time it get wet.

Last edited:
What do you do about rust under the cord? If you use the knife at all, it will get wet. I don't want to think that I'd have to re-wrap the handle every time it get wet.

Wipe down the handle with a good car wax or some other type of paste wax before cord wrapping.
Scott

I found that forcing a nice patina on the handle goes a long way in preventing rust before a new wrap. The wax idea sounds good:)

Another good product is Renaissance Wax. It's expensive but worth it. Every knife that leaves my shop is coated with it.
Scott

Scott - Would using something like plastidip that liquid coating for tools prevent rust? How much thickness does it add to the width of the handle? How easy/difficult it is to remove? Might be a nice contrast when wrapping the handle Japanese style. I just saw a good utube video on this. A twist in the paracord, leave spaces between the wraps where the handle shows.

I actually have a thread on my forum about the Plastic dip. It works well and peels right off if you want to remove it. You can cord wrap right over it. Just use a hole punch to open the holes after you dip.
Scott

Scott - That might be inside another thread because I didn't see it. Please post link, I'd like to read it. Thanx

Back