Corkscrew vs Phillips

Corkscrew vs Phillips

• Corkscrew

Votes: 44 62.0%
  • Phillips

Votes: 27 38.0%

• Total voters
Don't wait for me to bad mouth the Tourist. My favorite drink is an Americano!

tourist_aristau-jpg.530359

600px-Americano_cocktail_at_Nightwood_Restaurant.jpg

Have we beaten this one to death? Apparently not. I've ordered an red alox Bantam because I don't own a Bantam, and I'll see how long it takes me to need one tool or the other.

I voted for the corkscrew, but to me both of these back layer tools are for emergency use only. Have you pulled many corks with the corkscrew? It takes patience or (I'm guessing) muscles. I'm the patient sort but I can't say I enjoy it.

To me, the ultimate SAK would have a Pulltex double-hinged corkscrew at one end and a Phillips (crosshead) screwdriver at the other. Victorinox put a double-hinged corkscrew on the Wine Master, but I doubt they will use it again because they pay a royalty to Spanish patent-holder Pulltex. Here is the Wine Master's corkscrew compared to a Pulltex:

rivals-jpg.815106

rivals-jpg.815106

For you firearms aficionados, the Pulltex double-hinged corkscrew has both primary and secondary extraction stages, and that makes it the only cheap, compact mechanism which reliably pulls corks without depending on plastic corks (steel-cased ammunition) or compressed air (fluted chambers).

Speaking seriously (I think), I would like to see this double-hinged corkscrew on the stern of Victorinox's liner-locking Cheese Master. I could live without the fondue fork.

show_image.php

The Americano got its name from wealthy American Tourists who discovered Italy after the American Civil War. Two ounces Campari + two ounces red vermouth on the rocks with a twist or slice of a lemon or orange, and a splash of seltzer I don't bother with (too easy to spoil an already weak drink). It reminded our forebearers of soda pop and home.

Last edited:
I've pulled corks with a 91mm SAK, not fun perhaps but certainly doable even for someone with disabled hands like me if you know the technique. I'd really not want to do it with my 84mm Waiter though.

Does no one use a standard Corkscrew anymore? I'd hardly call myself strong- "new Dad strong" perhaps, but the old style cork pullers definitely work. Reading all these statements about difficulty makes me wonder if I'm just misremembering how difficult it is.

My tourist comes tomorrow, supposedly. I'll buy a bottle of wine for the occasion...

One of my favourite knives, the Tourist. Just that bit more pocketable than the Spartan, and somehow feels better in my hand.

I used to pull corks with my old scout/camping knife. Since screw tops came in there’s largely been no need for a wine corkscrew. In fact I rarely drink these days. As I’ve said above, I value the corkscrew for different reasons.

The trick to removing a cork easily is to push down slightly first, this gets the cork “unstuck” then pull and it comes right out. Also by pushing first, it compresses the small air space, thus adding a slight pushback and making removal easier.

The trick to removing a cork easily is to push down slightly first, this gets the cork “unstuck” then pull and it comes right out. Also by pushing first, it compresses the small air space, thus adding a slight pushback and making removal easier.
I'll try it thanks!

Whenever this question is asked corkscrew almost always wins.

Because it’s better.

I think it is because the Corkscrew is a proper tool and the Phillips lacks in location and reach. I think all the tools on my Climber are good and multifuntional tools whereas the Phillips is kind of a one trick pony. I know some people don't like the backside awl but I love it as a scraper and it does a good job as an awl you just have to be careful for it not to fold on you. Also I think it is easier to add a Rambler to a SAK with a Corkscrew and you get two good Phillips drivers with the Rambler that can get recessed screws from #2 to #0. It is a lot easier to add a Phillips then a Corkscrew to your EDC.

I tried it last night with my Tourist. It didn't work and didn't come close to working. To be fair, that cork had been 15 years in the bottle. My Pulltex easily broke it free, but then I had to go quite slowly to avoid breaking the cork.

In my declining years it takes me three days to finish a bottle. I will try another old one with my 111mm Victorinox Dual Pro. If that doesn't work, I will bite the bullet and try a fairer test on a year-old bottle of plonk with a plastic cork.

I think it is because the Corkscrew is a proper tool and the Phillips lacks in location and reach. I think all the tools on my Climber are good and multifuntional tools whereas the Phillips is kind of a one trick pony. I know some people don't like the backside awl but I love it as a scraper and it does a good job as an awl you just have to be careful for it not to fold on you. Also I think it is easier to add a Rambler to a SAK with a Corkscrew and you get two good Phillips drivers with the Rambler that can get recessed screws from #2 to #0. It is a lot easier to add a Phillips then a Corkscrew to your EDC.
I actually like the backside awl and use it quite a bit. I'm not a fan of the awl on the alox models, too wide for creating precise holes and I'd far prefer a small blade in its place in any case. I do indeed twin a Rambler (keychain) with my corkscrew 91mm for precisely the reason you mention. It's a lot of screwdriver capability.

Cork screw is a must for date night. The French have it right:

i-FCVkgj6-X2.jpg

The screw driver on the SAK can opener works well enough for most Philips screws.

Last edited:
The real trick is to use leverage like with a traditional waiter's corkscrew.

Deploy the corkscrew and twist it in to the center of the cork.
Twist it all the way down...this is important.
Rock the knife back as if you were closing the corkscrew.
Now grip the bottle neck as high as you can, but under the raised side of the knife handle, with your other hand.
Now lift the knife's low end, applying force downward on your holding hand.
This will lever the cork upward some, but not all the way.
Repeat the whole process and it should be about half way out of the bottle.
Now just twist and pull at the same time and the cork should come free.

It's like this video except your hand is the pivot.

How to Use a Waiter's Corkscrew - Bing video

Last edited:
You won't find me crossing a desert and being forced to subsist on food and water for several days. Thanks to learning from Mr. W.C. Fields unfortunate experience. Corkscrew.

Corkscrew. I use it to loosen overly-tight knots (as in shoelaces, twine, drawstrings, etc.). It also holds my mini-eyeglass screwdriver.

If I need a Phillips, I use the small driver on the can opener.

Jim

Only drink cheap wine with screw tops, but good scotch. A Phillips is my tool.
Rich

The corkscrew for the eye glass screw driver. The phillips is awkward. I carry the huntsman.

Back