Corkscrew vs Phillips

Corkscrew vs Phillips

• Corkscrew

Votes: 44 62.0%
  • Phillips

Votes: 27 38.0%

• Total voters
The only 91mm SAKs I have are the Compact and the Huntsman. I've been carrying the Compact for the past 2 years and have yet to use the corkscrew. There were a couple of times that I think I could've used the phillips but it wasn't urgent enough that I couldn't just walk over to my tool bag at home or tool drawer at work. Basically, I just might have to buy a Super Tinker, carry it for a a while, and revisit this question haha.

So recently I've only been carrying my tourist. My wife used the micro flat head while we were camping to mend a finger tip on her glove and I used the cork screw for the first time to undo some knots. I've also found that the cork screw is handy for holding thread if I'm stitching leather using a speed stitcher. I think I'm a convert.

I actively avoid buying SAKs with corkscrews. Great tool, nothing against it -- and I love the idea of opening a bottle of wine at a picnic, birds chirping in the trees, the summer breeze ruffling my hair...but it never actually happens. :D

By contrast, I use the screwdriver (flat or otherwise) more than almost any other tool on my SAKs. It's probably tied with the nail file, for models that have one; the blade comes in second or third, depending on whether the model has scissors.

I voted for the philips because I do have some minimal use for it. But it's usually too short, or the T-shaped design won't fit in a tight space and spin or it's the wrong size phillips tip or... You get the point. I have little to no use for the corkscrew or the micro screwdriver either. Really neither is great in my opinion. I definitely prefer that if I'm going to have a philips head, it should be the in-line variation. They tend to work much better in my experience.

I do really appreciate the awl. It's a very useful tool. I've put mine to many a job, but if I have a choice at all, I also prefer this tool be the in-line variation, as on my Farmer-x.

In total, I voted for the philips because it's the lesser of two evils. However, I'd prefer to have no backspring tools at all, for the sake of ergonomics and aesthetics. Plus in-line tools just seem to work better. So always, just my experience/opinion. Have a good day guys.

You can work with ph screws using the flat blades, but you can’t open a bottle of wine with the ph driver 😊

Having said that, I find myself essentially using only two tools on my SAK, the knife and the flat blade/bottle opener, which serves as all-purpose prying tool. Hence, I could do with a bantam but I carry a Spartan. You never know when a bottle of Cabernet needs to be ventilated...

Back