Corona thread. No politics please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amusing as that may be, it's remarkably similar to a design concept I had back in February when PPE was becoming difficult to find and photos from China and Hong Kong were popping up of makeshift PPE.

Filter replacements for HEPA filter units were still available and I had a spare drum style filter for one of my HEPA filters. I came up with a design similar to that photo with the top of the filter drum sealed, and the bottom being the outlet to the breathing mask/apparatus.

The huge surface area of a HEPA filter (compared to an FFR/Filtering Facepiece Respirator) would also mean less breathing resistance.

Amusing as that may be, it's remarkably similar to a design concept I had back in February when PPE was becoming difficult to find and photos from China and Hong Kong were popping up of makeshift PPE.

Filter replacements for HEPA filter units were still available and I had a spare drum style filter for one of my HEPA filters. I came up with a design similar to that photo with the top of the filter drum sealed, and the bottom being the outlet to the breathing mask/apparatus.

The huge surface area of a HEPA filter (compared to an FFR/Filtering Facepiece Respirator) would also mean less breathing resistance.

You should be able to find a respirator with a P100 filter these days. It’s basically the same standard for particle size and removal rate as a hepa, way smaller and lighter, and a properly fit silicone respirator with P100 filter is immeasurably better then a surgical or N95 mask.

Edit: Honeywellstore has them all in stock and most things on sale for 40% off. Good time to buy if you need one.

Last edited:
You should be able to find a respirator with a P100 filter these days. It’s basically the same standard for particle size and removal rate as a hepa, way smaller and lighter, and a properly fit silicone respirator with P100 filter is immeasurably better then a surgical or N95 mask.

Edit: Honeywellstore has them all in stock and most things on sale for 40% off. Good time to buy if you need one.
Thanks Justin. I appreciate the heads up.:thumbsup::)

It was mostly a thought exercise. I actually have several 3M half face and full face respirators, along with a decent stash of 2091 filters, as well as N95 disposables. (Keeping an eye out for pandemic-potential pathogens allowed me to stay ahead of the curve, including ensuring that several local HC facilities placed additional PPE orders just before the major suppliers clamped down around the 1st week of February).

The design concept was simply for alternatives (and to share the design with people who were unable to find conventional options when they started becoming extremely scarce from late February onwards).

Thanks Justin. I appreciate the heads up.:thumbsup::)

It was mostly a thought exercise. I actually have several 3M half face and full face respirators, along with a decent stash of 2091 filters, as well as N95 disposables. (Keeping an eye out for pandemic-potential pathogens allowed me to stay ahead of the curve, including ensuring that several local HC facilities placed additional PPE orders just before the major suppliers clamped down around the 1st week of February).

The design concept was simply for alternatives (and to share the design with people who were unable to find conventional options when they started becoming extremely scarce from late February onwards).

Oh I gotcha. Good work!

Like you I’m already prepped. I was able to send my spare to a friend who I think needs it more than I do.

Today is my daughter’s first day of kindergarten. I live in California, so we are doing online. On top of that, I’m surrounded by wild fires and the air is horrible. I must say I feel like I’m living in the “Twilight Zone”. It’s post apocalyptic looking outside, and my 4 year old Is attending school from her bedroom. 2020.....

Today is my daughter’s first day of kindergarten. I live in California, so we are doing online. On top of that, I’m surrounded by wild fires and the air is horrible. I must say I feel like I’m living in the “Twilight Zone”. It’s post apocalyptic looking outside, and my 4 year old Is attending school from her bedroom. 2020.....
Stay safe!
They say “Hindsight is 20/20.” I can’t wait until 2020 is hindsight.

Masks are taking over. Seeing them in the majority of public places now. Stores are allowing fewer people inside at one time. Lots of places have a small line up to get in.

Sept 1 lots of stores say masks are mandatory.

It’s almost like there was way less fear and way more Corona a few months ago, now there is much less Corona here but way more fear.

Whats up with that?

Maybe more application and observations of mask wearing and other precautions are working. Maybe the virus has accelerated through the people who are were most at risk through its first phase.

Whether you are a total believer of the scientific community on this like me or view this pandemic as an “overreach” by the scientists, still best to be vigilant for the sake of your friends and family! I disregard quacks as science but also admit that science does get things wrong from time to time; after all good science is the process of conducting tests, experiments, data and fact findings which is as to why this process can not be a straight line.

Whether you believe in the seriousness of this COVID-19 or still think that it’s just general hysteria, always watch your flank.

Masks are taking over. Seeing them in the majority of public places now. Stores are allowing fewer people inside at one time. Lots of places have a small line up to get in.

It’s almost like there was way less fear and way more Corona a few months ago, now there is much less Corona here but way more fear.

Whats up with that?

Individual freedom and diversity on the decline, collective tyranny and conformity on the rise. Tyranny always slithers in behind a mask of compassion.

Edit by moderator: This is not so much talking about the Corona virus as it is the politics surrounding it. Let's keep politics out of this discussion thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Whats up with that?

Interesting...masks have been required here for months.

Wearing a mask isn't fear, it's respect for your fellow man. I wear a mask to protect others from me if I am unknowingly infected...not to protect myself.

In B.C. we have had about 204 deaths. The case count is exponentially lower now than in May when masks were very rare. Why do you figure they are all about respect now but not when things were a lot crazier?

In B.C. we have had about 204 deaths. The case count is exponentially lower now than in May when masks were very rare. Why do you figure they are all about respect now but not when things were a lot crazier?
I stated my reasoning pretty clearly, and it's the way I've felt about mask wearing the whole time. I'm not in BC, where I am things are on a huge uptick because of people refusing to accommodate simple and mildly inconvenient guidelines.

Data is starting to emerge that face masks are causing unintended consequences that are counterproductive to health.

A lot of oversimplification occurring with face masks.

Spotters are now being employed to assist front line workers maintain correct use of face masks, no such luxury can be implemented on a broad public health scale.

I stated my reasoning pretty clearly, and it's the way I've felt about mask wearing the whole time. I'm not in BC, where I am things are on a huge uptick because of people refusing to accommodate simple and mildly inconvenient guidelines.

Your reasoning makes sense when we consider consistent mask use, but it doesn’t help me understand why people refused masks when case counts were high, but insist on them now that they are low.

All of a sudden we’re having an uptick, explainable as a resurgence of the first wave, and it’s still much lower than when we barely saw masks anywhere.

I live in the region with the highest infection rates in BC, for the record, the demographic I see wearing masks the least is elderly. 50% of the people at Starbucks when I’m eating lunch are 65+ and most of them have no mask. The majority of younger people do.

From my perspective, those at risk should be taking the most precaution.

The one thing I’m wondering about is mask availability.

For the record I’m working nearly every day and have a long commute so the strip mall I eat lunch at and grab a couple things I need is the majority of what I witness.

And yes most schools here are reopening in a couple weeks and yes most schools were doing distance learning last spring.

Some epidemiologists are saying the normal flu season is off to a slow start due to widespread mask use for Covid.

I haven't had a cold in I can't recall how long. Last November? Been wearing a mask simce Match and washing hands waaay more, sanitizing surfaces around me, hand sanitizer regularly. I think it's keeping me healthy (I think the mask works both ways).

Having said that, next time I do catch a cold I suspect I will at first, panic, and then I'll think, "never have I been this glad to catch a cold!"

About the schools...

I bet by the end of 2020 we will see Uber Teach (like uber eats or whatever). Maybe not by Uber, but it will be like Airbnb or Lyft or similar.

Large anonymous company.
Independent contractors provide a service with their own tools and resources.
Individual subscribers pay a nominal fee.

It will become a pod-based home school model.

About the schools...

I bet by the end of 2020 we will see Uber Teach (like uber eats or whatever). Maybe not by Uber, but it will be like Airbnb or Lyft or similar.

Large anonymous company.
Independent contractors provide a service with their own tools and resources.
Individual subscribers pay a nominal fee.

It will become a pod-based home school model.

Haha, do you know any teachers. Remote and or self paced learning has been a fantasy of bueracrats forever.

It only works on a minority of elite students that will excel regardless of what schools do or don't provide.

The rest especially low socioeconomic groups will be hugely disadvantaged and get further behind.

Not to mention the increase in domestic violence and child abuse increasing numbers of children are guaranteed to be victims of as a direct result of lockdwns and remote learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back