Corona thread. No politics please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting perspective. If you don’t think it can be contained, what prevents it from becoming endemic?

My understand of the topic is limited.

From what I’ve read and how I’ve understood it, the weaker the symptoms a virus strain creates, the better a virus tends to spread. That strain outcompetes the others as it burns though the host reservoir, and that trend continues.

So if we can’t stop it from spreading, and it continues to mutate, what prevents it from becoming endemic like the other colds and flus that go around every year?

We can’t wear masks, social distance and keep businesses operating like they are now in many places for much longer. I’m 100% certain that the majority of businesses in my area will close soon if they can’t find a way to get around the current limitations. There are already tons of businesses permanently closed. Starbucks is even permanently closing many locations. You can’t go to any strip mall without seeing at least a few places closed down.

my understanding is super limited too, but I think that the fact that covid19 is already pandemic precludes it from being endemic(?) I guess it could become regional, but it's already global and will probably be that for some time.

I'm closing my business, and just gave my 30 notice this morning, due in large part to covid19 and associated factors outside my realm of control. After 16 years of blood, sweat and tears, it feels pretty surreal taking apart my shop and walking away from it. I poured everything into it, and I'll be able to look back with satisfaction that I built something good and served my community and I'll always be proud of that. Compared to A LOT of people, we're lucky. Still sucks tho.

ps. just read bluemax's post and will shut my damn mouth, lol

my understanding is super limited too, but I think that the fact that covid19 is already pandemic precludes it from being endemic. I guess it could become regional, but it's already global and will probably be that for some time

I'm closing my business, and just gave my 30 notice this morning, due in large part to covid19 and associated factors outside my realm of control. After 16 years of blood, sweat and tears, it feels pretty surreal taking apart my shop and walking away from it. I poured everything into it, and I'll be able to look back with satisfaction that I built something good and served my community and I'll always be proud of that. Compared to A LOT of people, we're lucky. Still sucks tho.

I’m sorry to hear that Lorien. I remember reading somewhere that you intended to sell it. I can’t imagine that would be easy in the current circumstances.

I hope that whatever the next step is, it’s better for you and yours than this.

I imagine you will have a pretty sweet shop setup at home now. Do you plan to do service and repairs from home or as a mobile service, or are you out completely?

In B.C. we have had about 204 deaths. The case count is exponentially lower now than in May when masks were very rare. Why do you figure they are all about respect now but not when things were a lot crazier?
Forgot to reply to this.

One of the simple explanations is the Overton Window shifting.

Early on, there were a lot of people who still felt that this was nothing much, blown way out of proportion, or even a straight up hoax. How many times have we seen/heard, "Does anyone even personally know someone who's had this/died from it? I don't know anyone who's had it and neither do any of my friends/family".

As case counts continue to rise, more and more people have had family, friends or acquaintances who've been infected. When evidence of the more severe cases become undeniable, they're more inclined to actually observe mitigation measures.

Some folks can learn by watching other people on YouTube hit their thumb with a hammer, and understand, "I don't want to do that". Other people need to hit themselves first, or take someone they know to the doctor/ER before deciding, "OK, precautions to avoid that seem prudent".

As mentioned, I know several people in their 20s who've had this. Aside from one person still having some lasting effects 2+ months later, the others appear to have fully recovered, but the ones who didn't have exceedingly mild cases ("Meh" vs "Worst body aches and fatigue I've ever felt. Out of breath from even mild exertion") were more likely to take ot seriously, stating "Yeah, I definitely don't want to go through that again". Those people tend to have a greater influence on their social circles than the MSM.

yeah, put it up for sale in December, but covid blew a hole in that plan!
I was hoping to make a little on the sale, but it looks like it's gonna be a challenge just to get our money back out. So many people have it far worse, though. I find it hard to take myself seriously

Forgot to reply to this.

One of the simple explanations is the Overton Window shifting.

Early on, there were a lot of people who still felt that this was nothing much, blown way out of proportion, or even a straight up hoax. How many times have we seen/heard, "Does anyone even personally know someone who's had this/died from it? I don't know anyone who's had it and neither do any of my friends/family".

As case counts continue to rise, more and more people have had family, friends or acquaintances who've been infected. When evidence of the more severe cases become undeniable, they're more inclined to actually observe mitigation measures.

Some folks can learn by watching other people on YouTube hit their thumb with a hammer, and understand, "I don't want to do that". Other people need to hit themselves first, or take someone they know to the doctor/ER before deciding, "OK, precautions to avoid that seem prudent".

As mentioned, I know several people in their 20s who've had this. Aside from one person still having some lasting effects 2+ months later, the others appear to have fully recovered, but the ones who didn't have exceedingly mild cases ("Meh" vs "Worst body aches and fatigue I've ever felt. Out of breath from even mild exertion") were more likely to take ot seriously, stating "Yeah, I definitely don't want to go through that again". Those people tend to have a greater influence on their social circles than the MSM.

That’s great insight.

I was hoping to make a little on the sale, but it looks like it's gonna be a challenge just to get our money back out. So many people have it far worse, though. I find it hard to take myself seriously

I know the feeling. I’m almost 14 years into where I am now, and while I’m still working there are hundreds of people with less seniority than me that aren’t. I weathered the subprime mortgage crash ok, lost almost everything but didn’t go bankrupt. I hope to come out from this one a little better.

But it’s far from over.

This is why I reject strict lockdown/shutdowns. There is no evidence they work ie we might have to learn to live be with this, and they are causing destruction of the economy our great grandkids will be still paying for and the lock downs themselves are killing and harming people.

It is the dumbest strategy possible, we deserve better from our leaders or they should get the F out of the way and let the people figure it out like Sweden has.

This is why I reject strict lockdown/shutdowns. There is no evidence they work ie we might have to learn to live be with this, and they are causing destruction of the economy our great grandkids will be still paying for and the lock downs themselves are killing and harming people.

It is the dumbest strategy possible, we deserve better from our leaders or they should get the F out of the way and let the people figure it out like Sweden has.

I am starting to agree.

I’m going to write something about a Politician, but it’s fiscal, not political in nature.

A reporter asked Justin Trudeau about the massive fiscal deficit for this year and he looked dead into the camera and replied “We took on this debt, so Canadians wouldn’t have to.”

Who the >.#& is “We” if not the tax payer who is responsible for paying this debt off? People who aren’t even born will still be working on paying it off after I’m dead.

How can we create inter-generational debt that will burden those yet to be born in a failing attempt to avoid the uncomfortable reality we face today ?

Ahhh...the American way:(

It's every country. The economic fallout here is going to be biblical and probably unrecoverable.

Lockdown here was devastating. The actuaries are predicting a drop in life expectancy in poor communities in the years to come as lockdown forced malnutrition on millions. The loss of jobs has accentuated that and it will probably increase.

The effects of Covid will echo for decades.........everywhere.

UK mass anti lockdown protests.

The people who draw large guaranteed tax payer funded salaries and the people already on welfare don't know what business owners are making all this fuss about.

If things get worse just print more money brah, what's the problem??

Edit by moderator: While I understand what you're getting at, let's keep politics out of this thread. We're discussing the virus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of you are either still skirting around politicizing the discussion in this thread or outright being explicit with some political keywords and hot potato phrases, despite the title and the OP's wishes for this thread to stay apolitical.

I want to address the gentleman who is expressing for "us to figure it out' and referring to the Swedish model:

Who is this us which you are referring to? The average layman and the the everyday John Doe and Jane Doe of our world? The unqualified, inexpert and know-nothing folks like me? No thanks! Almost everyone who has been around the CPK knows by now that I am not a native, i.e, I was not born in here, I was not raised in here through my formative years as I didn't go to elementary school, middle school and high school here; heck I didn't even go to college here but America that proverbial "Shiny City on the Hill" was the place and the final destination I had always dreamed of ending up in and I tell you this much: I was not born into poverty or raised in some sh*thole country either! In fact, I was a silver spooner who went to some friggin top notch schools in Europe! I am not telling you this to boast but to emphasize a point that as a child when I always used to watch American TV programs, I admired the variety of the science shows on the TV from the US when there were only 3-4 national channels and had always thought that, "these Americans, they really have their shyte together"! That is why it pains me to no end to see how THAT AMERICA which I aspired to in the early 70's has changed so much. So when I say NO THANKS, I do indeed want the fearless statesmen, the type of leaders and the caliber of the scientists of those yesteryears to map and shape public health and economic policies, not the average Joe and the average Jane who like me have no business and no credentials to marshal as to how we go forward!

Re Sweden:

If Sweden's performance is compared to the other Scandinavian countries, the Swedes show a worse performance on COVID-19 per 100K capita as compared to Denmark, Finland, Iceland and more importantly to Norway! I also believe that this Swedish model is a total fallacy for us Americans because the Swedes are still much more homogeneous than the U.S which is a nation of immigrants and the union of like multiple different countries! We are far more diverse in length, width and breadth than any European country let alone much tinier Scandinavian nations. I don't mean to come across as rude but I really have to scoff at those constantly bringing up the Swedish model; Americans are not Swedes and for some tough talk: a cross section of the U.S is far more obese, unhealthier, under educated, poorly informed with an inferior safety net to keep the bottom as compared to Sweden which keeps getting touted. To cap it all off, the Swedes are far more reticent as a nation than the strident sorts which we are here in the U.S.

Data speaks for itself, no lock downs, no difference....except they didn't destroy their economy and kill people because of lock downs.

WTF you even talking about diversity, the virus is not racist but you made a racist comment it appears.

https://images.app.goo.gl/NfNumBQqwHinC3r87

NfNumBQqwHinC3r87

Yeah Sweden wrecked their economy as well as the other Scandinavian countries and were slower to rebound and they killed more people.

Not sure where the win is with those numbers.

Yeah Sweden wrecked their economy as well as the other Scandinavian countries and were slower to rebound and they killed more people.

Not sure where the win is with those numbers.

And there is a direct relationship between Nordic countries migrant intake and economic impact. Sweden has taken by far the most unskilled migrants that cost more and don't contribute compared to the other Nordics. That may well have made the Covid impact on the economy in Sweden higher than the other Nordics.

Did Sweden's curve flatten like everywhere else, yes. Remember the strategy said by every government on the planet was to flatten the curve not eradication.

Ugh. Sorry to hear this.

It was reported that UK Deputy Chief Medical Officer Jenny Harries said this today,

“The evidence on face coverings is not very strong in either direction. We are continuing to learn as the Prime Minister has said around how the virus transmits and it may be we do change advice in the future, that’s because we’re watching the science.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back