Corona thread. No politics please

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was reported that UK Deputy Chief Medical Officer Jenny Harries said this today,

“The evidence on face coverings is not very strong in either direction. We are continuing to learn as the Prime Minister has said around how the virus transmits and it may be we do change advice in the future, that’s because we’re watching the science.”
This has been said about many facets of the virus by many top experts around the world. The thing too many (general public) don’t seem to grasp or maintain hold of the notion that this is a new pathogen and if unchecked will spread and kill. New pathogen and killing people. New pathogen and killing people. New pathogen and killing people.
Naturally we are going to learn things about it - because it’s a new pathogen.
And in case anybody missed it - it’s a new pathogen.

“The evidence on face coverings is not very strong..." - UK Deputy Chief Medical Officer Jenny Harries
"It's a new pathogen." - Odog27

Two great reasons why medical advice should not be mandated.

This is why I reject strict lockdown/shutdowns. There is no evidence they work ie we might have to learn to live be with this, and they are causing destruction of the economy our great grandkids will be still paying for and the lock downs themselves are killing and harming people.

It is the dumbest strategy possible, we deserve better from our leaders or they should get the F out of the way and let the people figure it out like Sweden has.
Literally every country that has largely eliminated Covid has relied on hard lock downs and aggressive testing and contact tracing, from Vietnam to New Zealand.

“The evidence on face coverings is not very strong..." - UK Deputy
Chief Medical Officer Jenny Harries
"It's a new pathogen." - Odog27

Two great reasons why medical advice should not be mandated.
“... in either direction.” - UK Deputy Chief Medical Officer Jenny Harries
Important part was accidentally forgotten.
It’s a qualifier and therefore relevant.
Leaving out qualifiers is how people purposefully fool the ignorant.

Literally every country that has largely eliminated Covid has relied on hard lock downs and aggressive testing and contact tracing, from Vietnam to New Zealand.

New Zealand one of the most geographically isolated nations on earth with low population density has had nearly 2000 cases with 13 currently active. Not sure they eliminated Covid.

New Zealand one of the most geographically isolated nations on earth with low population density has had nearly 2000 cases with 13 currently active. Not sure they eliminated Covid.
Part of the problem of low population density is that they have focal points. There is always somewhere they all meet.
All it takes is one supply run.

I believe in the case of new Zealand,all they will have achieved is delaying covid slightly.

Eventually collective immunity will kick in,which is ironically hindered by social distancing measures.

Last edited:
This is what we need to debate, strategies based on human intelligence, ingenuity, science and data. Not boneheaded, absolutely thoughtless and destructive plans like total lock down until a vaccine appears.

Just an idea below, thinking more broadly based on intelligence will get us thru this.

This is so hard to talk about without mentioning the p word as the two are insanely intertwined.
So all I'll say is see you the other side of this bs and look after you and yours.

Hint there are very few virus' that have ever been cured.

I will respectfully back out of this discussion

For how long, I wonder.
The objective is to limit spread and unnecessary deaths long enough to get a vaccine and vaccinate the majority of the population. Then it will likely become like the flu in your endemic scenario. We get an annual vaccination. When enough of a population is vaccinated the pathogens transmission goes way down and you just have cluster outbreaks among the unvaccinated. A lot less people die.

And Vietnam has much, much higher population density, is much less isolated, relied on even more extreme lock down, testing and contact tracing measures and have even fewer cases than New Zealand.

The objective is to limit spread and unnecessary deaths long enough to get a vaccine and vaccinate the majority of the population. Then it will likely become like the flu in your endemic scenario. We get an annual vaccination. When enough of a population is vaccinated the pathogens transmission goes way down and you just have cluster outbreaks among the unvaccinated. A lot less people die.

You got to be kidding me. Haven’t these people heard of Anti-Vaxers?!?

I literally have a court case against my Ex right now to get my kids vaccinated as they have never received any vaccinations in their life. My Ex has them on the black list.

And Vietnam has much, much higher population density, is much less isolated, relied on even more extreme lock down, testing and contact tracing measures and have even fewer cases than New Zealand.

Firstly you would have to believe the published data from a one party authoritarian regime is actually true then you have to consider that with such a huge border with China they shut down movement in and out of China while the WHO was still telling everyone else there is no problem and thirdly

" Vietnam lifted social isolation measures on April 23 with most businesses resuming operations."

I literally have a court case against my Ex right now to get my kids vaccinated as they have never received any vaccinations in their life. My Ex has them on the black list.

Even amongst pro-vaxers the most promising vaccine is based on research using cells from aborted babies so many pro-lifers have already confirmed they will not vaccinate using this strain.

...using cells from aborted babies....

OMFG.

I’m trying to be reasonable here, I offered a bunch of compromises but she won’t even let me do a tetanus shot for my son if he steps on a rusty nail out in the woods. She has already said she’ll never consent to a vaccine for Coronavirus.

I give up, we’re pooched.

Last edited:
OMFG.

I’m trying to be reasonable here, I offered a bunch of compromises but she won’t even let me do a tetanus shot for my son if he steps on a rusty nail out in the woods.

I give up, we’re pooched.

If it helps that is from one research group, can't speak for the others so you should be good.

Probs not the first question people ask when choosing their vaccine but hey I'm born a Catholic. We find out this stuff.

If it helps that is from one research group, can't speak for the others so you should be good.

Probs not the first question people ask when choosing their vaccine but hey I'm born a Catholic. We find out this stuff.

My whole family is Roman Catholic as well.

Edit: Let’s bring religion into this to make it even more controversial! o_O

Fortunately you don’t need everyone vaccinated - just the majority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back