Corona virus face masks

N95, respirator with P100 filters, multi-wrap, cloth mask...I've used them all at one time or other during the pandemic.
Depends on what environment, exposure risk, and who I'm around.

Our apartment building has multiple Covid cases in it, and some days the ambulance has shown up more times than the UPS truck. My dad is over 70 years old, and he don't need to get it from me, or from some other ass spewing their germs all over the damn place.

People that are proud of not wearing a mask... :rolleyes:

If you aren't sick or exposed, there really isn't a reason to use a bandana over your mouth unless it is to reduce fear in other people. I'm not sick or exposed to anyone sick so, why should I spend $25 for a paper filter that costs the store 10 cents?

Ignoring obvious areas of high exposure, it is really an issue of hysteria in most people.

Heck, did New York really need $660 million in field hospitals and the USS Comfort? What about the price gouged ventilators still in a warehouse? Yes, a lot of people have been sick and the death rate is significant but, really the mass hysteria has caused as many problems as it solved.

How many people with cancer, diabetes, kidney disease, etc. have missed appointments for medical care? Now add, drinking, domestic abuse, widespread job loss, etc. and still we have panic over people not wearing masks in areas of very little risk.

If Scandanavian countries can get by with 'herd' immunity, why can't most of us? Sure, I don't like getting the flu either but, Trillions of dollars of debt and a destroyed economy for what real gain?

The fear and damage from prevention measures will be with us long after Wuhan / Covid-19 / Coronavirus. The real question is whether liberal government agencies will do anything to better prepare from this pandemic or will they repeat the mistakes of the bird and swine flu pandemics?

If you aren't sick or exposed,

Asymptomatic people spread virus.
That's what makes this more annoying than SARS (which I worked in a hospital during that outbreak); no one ran around with SARS feeling awesome.

A cheap-ass mask of just about any material can keep us from coughing it around, then we can get back to work. :thumbsup:

Or we can be like the idiots in Toronto that gathered about ten thousand people in a park with no masks, and now there's more cases and it will be longer to get to phase two of reopening around here.

Besides, with a variety of masks, you can accessorize to match your knives:

PGFuwMq.jpg

Better than lanyard beads. ;)

Last edited:
I don't know about anyone else but, I'm not coughing or sneezing. I'm also not shouting at people either so, I doubt there is any spit or snot sharing originating from myself. I also avoid people shouting or even talking very loudly, and definitely children in general that aren't well behaved and free from coughing, sneezing, shouting and, crying. It's not that I don't like children, as I do, it's just that I don't want to catch whatever they picked up at school or a playground.

I'm also not going to large public gatherings. Considering I live in a rural area, the likelihood of me being an asymptomatic super spreader is extremely low. I also generally avoid children, even before this pandemic, because I don't like colds or the flu which seems to be pretty common with youngsters and, since I'm not a school teacher or parent my immunity is pretty low to such things as well.

Common sense goes a long way towards reducing general sickness whether the common flu or a cold or something worse like Coronavirus.

Considering I live in a rural area,

The more rural and isolated the area, obviously different rules apply.
Physical distancing has been the main thing stopping the spread...the more distant you are from other people, the less other precautions needed.

Got to watch out for people that travel though; one doctor went to Quebec for a short visit, and caused an outbreak in his home province when he returned because he just went right back to work. One idiot managed to put things back for huge numbers of people...and that idiot should have known better, being a doctor and all. :thumbsdown:

Quarantine tourism is a different problem. I don't care if you are some elected official from the EU or a school teacher from Dallas, Texas. Common sense still applies.

Yes, it can be difficult to deal with boredom at home and missed social events but, Quarantine tourism is still wrong due to boredom at home.

At my once a week shopping trip to the local grocery store, the lady behind me was from Kansas (I'm in rural East Texas) buying toilet paper because KANSAS DIDN'T HAVE ANY? :mad:

...why should I spend $25 for a paper filter that costs the store 10 cents?
These are a scam and filtration for the user isn’t the intended goal of wearing masks. There are plenty of instructions on how to sew up a mask with an old piece of clothing but if you can keep your distance, that’ll work.
Not sure what your politics has to do with it but this website is full of people who understand the sacrifices of military service but no clue what civil sacrifice entails. Not as sexy I guess.

Where I live they just passed a mandatory mask law. Considering how many hours of OSHA training I've had to understand the correct application for the multitude of classifications for respirators, dusts makes etc I dont buy into the notion of cloth masks. Unfortunately a by product of this pandemic is fear is now a virtue and any critical thinking or questioning is a social faux pas. They keep changing their stance on how this spreads. The CDC just adjusted their numbers down significantly. From what I read the tests numbers are skewed do to how their added up, that HIPAA privacy laws prevent the spread of personal data so all tests are counted as new cases even if they are in fact the same person. If you test positive you have take 2 additional tests before you can go back to work thus producing a minimum of 3 additional test numbers to eskew the total numbers. I dont deny the presence of the virus nor do I want to spread it negligently but things dont add it. Most of the people I know who have been tested are positive for anti-bodies meaning they were asymptomatic.

A lot of this is like the TSA circus at the airport for good PR to ease ignorant flying fears that aren't based a real science or statistics.

Does a simple bandanna or repurposed T-shirt really make a mask that stops the spread of Coronavirus? Now, add the fact that about 25% aren't even covering their mouth and nose at the same time? Political theatre over masks is just that, theatre.

Real science would serve everyone better but, most people are ruled by emotions not rational arguments over real science and statistics.

Now add political theatre related to the upcoming presidential election. Will jurisdictions hoping for a Biden win keep kids out of school until November to smear Trump? How about lockdowns? How many small businesses will be ruined so political hacks can try to sway or appease local voters?

Personally, staying at home does more to stop the Coronavirus spread than anything. Do I really need to go to Ace Hardware Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, etc. to get a box of nails, sack of potato chips, or some other essential?

Every time I hear some bureaucrat from back East saying schools have to stay closed until we have a vaccine, I wonder if they realize we are still waiting for vaccines from the previous major Avian and Swine flu outbreaks.

To those doing their best to wear a good quality mask or respirator properly, I applaud you!

Myself, I'm basically staying on my farm property until this blows over even though I don't have a fever or cough, can still taste beer and coffee and, smell fresh cut grass and a nice bagel out of the toaster in the morning. :)

I tell people that "under this mask, I look just like Brad Pitt."

Ok...not really. I said this to a cashier only one time because I quickly realized that with the mask, there are no visual cues that you're making a joke. It wasn't the first time I'd bombed with a joke. :)

Last edited:
I tell people that "under this mask, I look just like Brad Pitt."

Ok...not really. I said this to a cashier only one time because I quickly realized that with the mask, there are no visual cues that you're making a joke. It wasn't the first time I'd bombed with a joke. :)

ROFL! I think I look more like a bank robber personally. So far the police haven't shown up as I checked out using a bandanna.

I get free mask at my local 7-11 when I get coffee, but for the 1st three months I refused to where one! thinking thy should also make make you where a dunse hat with the mask and gloves! but because now it seems like a way of life I where a mask in public, boy do I hate this crap:mad:

Face mask contact ACNE is becoming a real problem. :mad:

I really don't get the hysteria around them in most places. If I feel sick, why should I go out in public? If someone is knowingly sick, whether the flu or something else, they should be tarred and feathered for being totally inconsiderate of others IMHO. Common sense goes a long way but common sense isn't very common today.

Today, people are too focused on healthcare theatre IMHO and not concerned enough about real health concerns. How many people have missed Chemo treatments, cardiology exams, and other needed healthcare over fear of Coronavirus? If I was elderly or on Immuno-suppressant drugs, I would be super concerned but, for most of the otherwise healthy public, the likely dire outcomes are not significantly worse than driving to work every day or getting the flu or pneumonia and passing away. Life is not risk-free but, people are overly concerned about things they feel they have little control over.

37,000 people die in the US each year from car accidents. In just four months, 131,000 have died from coronavirus. Those numbers are significantly different, and we still have another 8 months to go.

37,000 people die in the US each year from car accidents. In just four months, 131,000 have died from coronavirus. Those numbers are significantly different, and we still have another 8 months to go.
Those numbers for Coronavirus include a lot of people past retirement age.

Death rates for children in school, young adults in college, and working age adults aren't as high as our seniors and those home bound with other health concerns.

If you screen out those not of working age and those with significant health risks, the numbers aren't nearly as bad.

As a middle age adult, putting my risk in the same group as someone in a nursing or fighting HIV infection isn't reasonable IMHO.

It also includes people making poor choices in bars and on beaches. To me it's a bit like putting me in the same risk group as people riding Harley's in flip flops. I'm an ATGATT motorcyle rider, even midday July in Tucson or humid Texas.

Where I live they just passed a mandatory mask law. Considering how many hours of OSHA training I've had to understand the correct application for the multitude of classifications for respirators, dusts makes etc I dont buy into the notion of cloth masks. Unfortunately a by product of this pandemic is fear is now a virtue and any critical thinking or questioning is a social faux pas. They keep changing their stance on how this spreads. The CDC just adjusted their numbers down significantly. From what I read the tests numbers are skewed do to how their added up, that HIPAA privacy laws prevent the spread of personal data so all tests are counted as new cases even if they are in fact the same person. If you test positive you have take 2 additional tests before you can go back to work thus producing a minimum of 3 additional test numbers to eskew the total numbers. I dont deny the presence of the virus nor do I want to spread it negligently but things dont add it. Most of the people I know who have been tested are positive for anti-bodies meaning they were asymptomatic.

I'm going on 7 year in Asbestos Abatement, Trained in all levels of PPE and given medical assessments every year. If It takes a P100 HEPA filter to protect me in my daily job then a cloth mask or even the best surgical mask is not stopping a virus.

And you, like me, probably walk around daily and laugh at people and their incorrect use of PPE. Most people are making so many errors they are more likely to have health issues from their lack of knowledge.

It really is scary how quickly they made everyone scared of each other and the air they breath. Unfortunately, I fear this is long from over.

300,000 people die every year in the US. from being over weight, yet they keep pumping out the processed food, new fast food franchise on every corner, more pre-made meals that you can now have shipped to your door.

Back