Corona virus face masks

For allergy-related outdoor work (mowing, string trimming, etc.), I find a face mask to be really irritating whether paper or cloth.

Generally, social distancing is what I use most but, for trips to the gas station, grocery store, pharmacy, etc I typically use a combination of disposable paper masks or my neck gaiter.

For me, the EDC is a work in progress. Unfortunately with the local heat and humidity, my glasses fog up with most options. So, this further complicates my mask use and makes me resistant to them in general. My Mission brand neck gaiter (or buff) is the one I use the most consistently though later in the day, I am more tempted to wear something that isn't sweaty and possibly foul-smelling like a disposable paper mask.

Contact dermatitis and contact acne is also an issue, not so much for me but, for people who wear them ~8 hours a day, at work or school. Mask hygiene is something often overlooked. My sister who is a nurse is starting to see issues with people re-using paper masks and getting secondary, non-COVID related respiratory health issues and she is super concerned non-COVID related health issues brought on by mask use as we get closer to the fall Flu season. She really advocates for family members to NOT REUSE face masks, absolutely no reuse for paper ones but, also cloth varieties.

Don't overlook good mask hygiene! Otherwise ...
iiciWdJ.png

My sister who is a nurse is starting to see issues with people re-using paper masks and getting secondary, non-COVID related respiratory health issues and she is super concerned non-COVID related health issues brought on by mask use as we get closer to the fall Flu season. She really advocates for family members to NOT REUSE face masks, absolutely no reuse for paper ones but, also cloth varieties.

That makes no sense. :confused:
Why would it be an issue after washing them?
I always wash cloth masks, same as I do with the clothe scarves and balaclavas I use during our Canadian winters. If you don't wash things, they get gross.

Or is she talking about people who just keep reusing them again and again without washing?

She is seeing too many people wear cloth masks for days on end without washing or cleaning them. When they take them off and put them on, they are spreading things from and to their hands as well.

She also is tired of smelling coffee and cigarette smoke on them too. Plus the acne cases are becoming chronic.

But, yes IF you wash them, there is no real reason to throw them away assuming you use appropriate soaps and let them fully dry.

She is seeing too many people wear cloth masks for days on end without washing or cleaning them. When they take them off and put them on, they are spreading things from and to their hands as well.

She also is tired of smelling coffee and cigarette smoke on them too. Plus the acne cases are becoming chronic.

But, yes IF you wash them, there is no real reason to throw them away assuming you use appropriate soaps and let them fully dry.

Oh yeah, that is just nasty. :eek:

I wash my cloth masks after each day's use. Hell, I wash out my dual canister respirator after each use, and it's more of a pain to do than washing a cloth one.

But dirty people will be dirty...if they won't wash their hands or bathe regularly, they won't wash their mask either.

.....Mask hygiene is something often overlooked. My sister who is a nurse is starting to see issues with people re-using paper masks and getting secondary, non-COVID related respiratory health issues and she is super concerned non-COVID related health issues brought on by mask use as we get closer to the fall Flu season. She really advocates for family members to NOT REUSE face masks, absolutely no reuse for paper ones but, also cloth varieties.
One use works for folks that have someone else buy the masks for them.;) I predominantly use the medical three layer cloth type. I wash mine periodically but certainly not after every use.

(CNN)A 7-year-old Georgia boy who died of Covid-19 attended a Chatham County church where two elderly members had died after testing positive for the coronavirus, according to county Coroner Bill Wessinger.

He had no underlying conditions and still died. All they had to do was watch a livestream to get their church fix. And that’s if they can’t read or aren’t smart enough to understand the Bible themselves. Hint: don’t be a jerk. There. I did your church for this week.

To think a pandemic is political means you’ve fallen for it. You’ve bought into propaganda. Personally, I don’t buy that argument for a second. I think I’m listening to a bunch of kids saying “I don’t wanna!” Every argument you guys throw out immediately falls apart because you’re telling us what you believe and think anyone outside of your echo chamber will buy it. Reality doesn’t give a crap what you believe. It’s irrelevant. The facts are that wearing a mask and socially distancing helps protect people. Just wear a damn mask! It’s not hard. I believe you guys can do it.

Let me know if you want me to load up the thread with more dead people. I’ll warn you though, listening to how people die without their loved ones might ruin your day. You gotta care first though so maybe it won’t. Gotta make that money ammirite. The economy is more important than people. ‘Murica!:confused:

My grandparents went through the Great Depression and ww2. They did without basics and the idea that the people of this country today can’t even do the simplest, most basic of things like put a piece of fabric over their damn face or refrain from their need to socialize in person or go on vacation is disgusting. Weak AF.

Edited to add ”in person” because while socializing is very important, it is after all the 21st century. You all have phones and computers.
Further reading showed the 7 YO had a seizure in the shower. Evidently he was prone to them. He died exposed to the ‘rona, but not as a result of the virus. This was yet another in a long string of stories manipulated To fit the narrative.

Further reading showed the 7 YO had a seizure in the shower. Evidently he was prone to them. He died exposed to the ‘rona, but not as a result of the virus. This was yet another in a long string of stories manipulated To fit the narrative.

Another example of simple exposure being manipulated to support an agenda of various groups.

Just because I go somewhere with Coronavirus doesn't mean IF I get a heart attack (for example) I died as a result of that exposure.

I don't think anyone would say that half the reported cases are false. But even if they were, we still have 80,000 dead so far this year.

I don't think anyone would say that half the reported cases are false. But even if they were, we still have 80,000 dead so far this year.
I wouldn't either. But I would be willing to bet that of the 80K almost all were over 60 years old or had pre-existing conditions. So, if you fit either of these categories, take precautions. My brother's friend just became a confirmed case as he was tested prior to a planned surgery. He is over 60 and always paid attention and still caught the virus.

Friend of my brother got Covid-19 despite wearing a face-shield.
He didn't want to wear a mask...anxiety or whatever.

Hasn't died, but does NOT feel good.

Just wear a damn mask.

Even if it's only twice as bad as having the actual flu, I've had a lot of times having the actual flu. There were times that every single breath took conscious effort. Sleep was almost an impossibility, and being awake was hell. I sure don't want twice as bad as those times.

....Just wear a damn mask.
I do when I'm around people that are more likely to close the social distance to under 3 feet. For the most part, it is when I'm shopping. I wear gloves frequently too. The one spot I pay attention to is the gas pump for dermal exposure.

Outside with heat and sun exposure, most sickness causing 'germs' won't survive long so I'm not overly worried about gas pump handles.

In terms of exposure, I use a neck gaiter or buff most of the time as I find them more convenient and less likely to fog my glasses. Normal masks fogging my glasses ensure I tough my face a lot which is bad IMHO so, a neck gaiter is the best compromise.

I really like the $20 Mission neck gaiter best but, the shorter copper fit models work pretty well too. Be sure to wash and swap them out frequently to minimize germ accumulation and contact acne and other things like colds from happening.

Best of all is distance from other people and soap to wash your hands.

I'm at an Assisted Living Facility, in Idaho.
If I leave the property to visit a doctor or have to go to the vampire's lab for blood work, I have to wear a mask, even if just a mask normally used when sanding something.
If I leave the property (includes taking just one full step out of the driveway) without having to go to the doctor or vampires, mask or no, I get quarantined for fourteen days minimum, plus however long it takes for the test results to come back.
No thankee.
(1) The cute staffettes would have to put on a Haz-Mat suit if/when less than 8 feet from me. That would totally ruin the view.
(2) I wouldn't be able to leave my room period (exceptions being if the building were on fire, or I had a medical emergency requiring I go to the hospital), (not that I would complain if not leaving my room meant I didn't have to go see the daRn vampires ... tho I must admit the her vampire I saw a week or two ago was mighty daRn cute/pretty ...)

From what I've heard, the Governor's Assisted Living, Skilled Nursing, etc. lockdown (recently extended --again --) is unlikely to be lifted before September 01, 2021, either by the current governor or his successor, if applicable.

So much for riding my (adult) trike to the local rifle range for a bit of target practice with my pistol and muzzleloaders (1.8 miles each way), or to town and a store. (4.5 to 6 miles each way, depending on which store). (No Walmart. The closest Walmart is 40 or 45 miles each way. (Almost as bad as when I lived in the Florida Keys. It was 62 miles each way to the closest Walmart then. Yes. I made the ride a few times.) A couple years ago the 80~90 mile round trip ride to Walmart and back would have been a "short ride", but not anymore ... :( )

Oh well ... as long as I don't leave the property, I can still go outside and shoot my slingshots, compound bow, or crossbow, (I have an arrow stop) or just sit in the sun (or shade) and drink some coffee. :)
(any one of which is much more appealing to me than watching whatever garbage the majority have on the TV in the common room, or watching TV alone in my room. Even with over 200 satellite stations, there really isn't anything on worth watching, in my opinion. Wasn't when I had a choice of 350 cable stations, either ... One reason I haven't owned a TV since 2000. Haven't missed it or any shows, either.)

Last edited:
Assisted living centers are their own little worlds. More so in rural areas. I hope I have the freedom to travel you do when I get too old to drive or ride my motorcycle. Heck, I'm starting to think about getting a horse or a cart/wagon and draft horse as a different option. The Amish I ran into on vacation about 3 years ago seemed to have some really good options for me as I get older plus, I'd rather feed and care for a horse than worry about gasoline and insurance on a car or pickup. I guess it helps that I now live in RURAL Texas, not a big city.

Being a captive in a nursing home doesn't seem much different to me than being in a county jail for the rest of my life. :(

Outside with heat and sun exposure, most sickness causing 'germs' won't survive long so I'm not overly worried about gas pump handles.

In terms of exposure, I use a neck gaiter or buff most of the time as I find them more convenient and less likely to fog my glasses. Normal masks fogging my glasses ensure I tough my face a lot which is bad IMHO so, a neck gaiter is the best compromise.

I really like the $20 Mission neck gaiter best but, the shorter copper fit models work pretty well too. Be sure to wash and swap them out frequently to minimize germ accumulation and contact acne and other things like colds from happening.

Best of all is distance from other people and soap to wash your hands.
If the mask doesn't fog your eye glasses, it is probably more for looks than effectiveness. I'm not concerned about "germs" on gas pump dispenser handles; viruses are a different beastie.

I'm at an Assisted Living Facility, in Idaho.
If I leave the property to visit a doctor or have to go to the vampire's lab for blood work, I have to wear a mask, even if just a mask normally used when sanding something.
If I leave the property (includes taking just one full step out of the driveway) without having to go to the doctor or vampires, mask or no, I get quarantined for fourteen days minimum, plus however long it takes for the test results to come back.
No thankee.
(1) The cute staffettes would have to put on a Haz-Mat suit if/when less than 8 feet from me. That would totally ruin the view.
(2) I wouldn't be able to leave my room period (exceptions being if the building were on fire, or I had a medical emergency requiring I go to the hospital), (not that I would complain if not leaving my room meant I didn't have to go see the daRn vampires ... tho I must admit the her vampire I saw a week or two ago was mighty daRn cute/pretty ...)

From what I've heard, the Governor's Assisted Living, Skilled Nursing, etc. lockdown (recently extended --again --) is unlikely to be lifted before September 01, 2021, either by the current governor or his successor, if applicable.

So much for riding my (adult) trike to the local rifle range for a bit of target practice with my pistol and muzzleloaders (1.8 miles each way), or to town and a store. (4.5 to 6 miles each way, depending on which store). (No Walmart. The closest Walmart is 40 or 45 miles each way. (Almost as bad as when I lived in the Florida Keys. It was 62 miles each way to the closest Walmart then. Yes. I made the ride a few times.) A couple years ago the 80~90 mile round trip ride to Walmart and back would have been a "short ride", but not anymore ... :( )

Oh well ... as long as I don't leave the property, I can still go outside and shoot my slingshots, compound bow, or crossbow, (I have an arrow stop) or just sit in the sun (or shade) and drink some coffee. :)
(any one of which is much more appealing to me than watching whatever garbage the majority have on the TV in the common room, or watching TV alone in my room. Even with over 200 satellite stations, there really isn't anything on worth watching, in my opinion. Wasn't when I had a choice of 350 cable stations, either ... One reason I haven't owned a TV since 2000. Haven't missed it or any shows, either.)
Well, you are probably part of the high mortality group and the fact that assisted living facilities have communal meals (dining area), and potentially lots of sick or weak people, I can see the controls inflicted on you. But I would hate it if I was in fairly good health.

I took note of your Walmart distances. Funny we even think about such things but I do as I am a regular WM shopper. At one point I counted over 30 WM supercenters within 50 miles of me. More than a couple are within 10-15 miles and unfortunately they are likely to build another one near me as I live off the last main highway artery that has no WM. They were considering a site about 2 miles away but after buying the land, demolishing houses, and so forth, they punted and that block of land is for sale now. They found endangered bats on the property which changed the game.

The mortality rate with Covid-19 in my county is slightly under 1% and that includes the high risk populations. I have some surgery scheduled for later this week and am curious if they force testing on me. I pay attention with masks and so forth, but generally do not wear a mask if I am outdoors unless there is a gathering of people. My philosophy, don't touch me or breath on me. If I can smell you, you're way too close.

22-rimfire 22-rimfire We HAD community meals; "everyone HAS to eat in the dining room! That's state regulations!" until social distancing thing. For a while, everyone had to eat in their rooms. They've relaxed that a little. A little over half the residents have to take meals on the dining room now, but maintain that 6 foot from each other at the tables. I'm one of the lucky ones that still gets to eat in his room. :) (I hope it stays that way.)
We're down to ... 3? maybe 4? 5? folks (I don't know about the new this month married couple) who are "weak" thanks to a combination of age, Ms. Dementia, and Mr. Alzheimer. (I'll be surprised if the 97 or 98 year old one, and the one who's 92 or 93 hold out another year.)
Even before the lockdown, most of the residents never left, or even went outside. (they still don't)

Aside from those with mental issues, (believe it or not, I am not counted among them) and diabetes, everyone but one guy down the hall (cancer) is healthy; no colds/flew, pneumonia, etc. :)

... They were considering a site about 2 miles away but after buying the land, demolishing houses, and so forth, they punted and that block of land is for sale now. They found endangered bats on the property which changed the game.

Sounds like Pima county when I lived in Tucson. Environmental Nazi's used all sorts of psuedo-science to stop housing developments to only inflict collateral damage on public parks and stopping road-building in already overcrowded areas of town.

One "MENSA" candidate called in a Pygmy Owl report to stop building across the street from him only to have the sale of his home stopped for the same reason! :D

Last edited:
Unfortunately my fiery Halitosis doesn't appear to be effective against my transferring, so I use cloth masks at home, and medical disposable at work. Enjoying the zits that comes from it all. o_O

Back