Cost of "super steels"

too many details... I just try to make about 12 knives per month and get as much as I can for them.
I buy good tools, batch process when appropriate and constantly look for ways to be more efficient in the process.. that's it.

There's enough work to do in knife making as it is :)
and I gave up a very good career in manufacturing and a very good salary and I have 2 Master's degrees including an MBA R Rhinoknives1 :)

I make a 1/3 of what I used to but interestingly enough my life hasn't dramatically changed (financially). Helps to be debt free and it took me a long time to learn that lesson and get to this point.
but I get to sit on my porch and drink coffee and enjoy my view when I want and play golf when I want

P.S. the steel I use is $35-50 per lb. But I HT myself with minimal equipment and it's fast and efficient to HT.
It's also easy to grind and easy to sharpen.

Ct8giq6.jpg
Harbeer! Since you have personally rolled up your sleeves and gotten grit under your finger nails running your own business I would value your opinion as a MBA that would definitely know the real world... —————////—————————

snip
but I get to sit on my porch and drink coffee and enjoy my view when I want and play golf when I want

P.S. the steel I use is $35-50 per lb. But I HT myself with minimal equipment and it's fast and efficient to HT.
It's also easy to grind and easy to sharpen.

Oh dear. It was nice knowing you H, you were a good friend. But coffee causes cancer in CA now :(

But coffee causes cancer in CA now :(

No it is the roasting, BBQ and grilling have the same chemical as well as potato chips.

Just a dumb ass judge with a hair up his but about coffee.

I have read this thread with interest and I appreciate bringing that level of thought here. I use google spread sheets to track every detail about every one of my knives. From the cost of each component of the knife down to the time spent on each part of the process. This allows me to keep a pretty consistent pricing formula and gives me an idea of what makes me the most money. I am then able to focus on those things which I enjoy doing the most as well as are the most profitable. I have found the biggest challenge and factor in all this is TIME. Time management, but also they way interest comes and goes...so much more of my energy has been spent trying to identify markets and capitalize on interest. One week there will be 5 guys wanting to buy a knife but only maybe one of them is willing to wait for the typical months long custom process. It is important to have stuff readily available. The logistics of it all plays a big part in the business aspect. Now a days the knife making part is pretty much a pure joy, but those knives dont sell themselves exactly. I guess thats the challenge for any one man show...you dont just make the stuff you have to do the accounting and marketing as well. Dan, Ive got a crazy totally unhinged business plan Iv'e been thinking of lately, maybe you could help brainstorm with me if you enjoy that sort of thing.
Sure thing. Feel free to email me at djwarme at ATT.net More than happy to brainstorm stuff. Would be interested in seeing your spreadsheet some time - Some how that came out sounding dirty. lol Yes time is the big variable particularly in a one man operation since there are so many tasks you have to do that are not directly tied to the making or selling of knives. ie: materials, labor, cash in. These days, that list includes researching sources and ordering parts, design, R&D, accounting, website authoring and/or management, packaging, shipping, travel, rent, tools, customer relations, communications, and that just scratches the surface!

Time was also that variable that lead me into the original question. I figured the super steels must have increased time in production, and additional tools and supplies as well. Just didn't know the specifics. If a super steel knife takes 2 additional hours to produce and 6 belts worth of abrasives... Whether you are a hobbyist just wanting to pay the cost of the hobby, or trying to make a living at it, you need to know which steel makes for the best return on your time and money.

In general terms - if you can put the data together in the proper and meaningful way, a lot of "difficult" business decisions, suddenly become brain dead obvious.

Back