COTS Project Thread

Alright, the Plumb boy's axe seen in the above picture with a Locust handle. Not happy about the checking around the swell, but that was entirely my negligent self to blame. A little red added to the handle just to tie into the Plumb thing and a mask.

plumb_boys_handle by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr
You can see some super glue in the cracks but they aren't deep or worrisome, they just annoy me.

plumb_boys_sheath by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr
Not my finest leather work but functional.

plumb_boys2 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

plumb_boys4 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

plumb_boys6 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

I love your stuff! When I look at your creations (especially those artfully sculpted butts) and then view recent film footage of workers finishing and smoothing handles on a sanding belt after coming off the copy lathe I can sure see that production skills have diminished quite a bit over the past 50 years. There must have been considerably more time, care and effort devoted to producing commercially-made handles years back.

Thanks again guys.

The head of that axe turned out gorgeous, as well.
Yeah I was actually a little surprised given how much crud was on it when it came to me. Amazingly no pitting, super clean and complete.

:thumbup::thumbup: wow

I love your stuff! When I look at your creations (especially those artfully sculpted butts) and then view recent film footage of workers finishing and smoothing handles on a sanding belt after coming off the copy lathe I can sure see that production skills have diminished quite a bit over the past 50 years. There must have been considerably more time, care and effort devoted to producing commercially-made handles years back.

For sure. I often wonder, how good could a guy get at this if he was forced to use a giant sanding belt and pushed for time - what would I do if I was in that situation? Those guys had to have been skilled. Of course that could send me off on a long tirade about manufacturing and cost of living and economics but I'll just be quiet. Suffice to say, I'd like to see people go back to work making stuff.

COTS, You and I have not always agreed on everything. But, I want you to know that since I first found this site, I have greatly admired your hafts. You are a master haft maker.

Some of that decline is on the consumer for accepting less craftsmanship for a lower price. Here is a picture that tells you the kind of volume they pump out
sfgpc0.jpg

COTS, You and I have not always agreed on everything. But, I want you to know that since I first found this site, I have greatly admired your hafts. You are a master haft maker.

I appreciate it. I have vowed to stick to what I can do, make handles, and leave my attitude at home. Hopefully everyone is aware that your skill and experience run vastly father and wider than mine.

Some of that decline is on the consumer for accepting less craftsmanship for a lower price. Here is a picture that tells you the kind of volume they pump out
sfgpc0.jpg

Absolutely.

COTS- Hopefully I have learned to leave my legendary attitude at home also. I would like to see what you have done with straight hafts, hatchets, broad axes, adzes, etc. I have no computer skills (this is not likely to change either). So, can you tell me how to find photos of your hafts other than curved single bits ?

COTS- Hopefully I have learned to leave my legendary attitude at home also. I would like to see what you have done with straight hafts, hatchets, broad axes, adzes, etc. I have no computer skills (this is not likely to change either). So, can you tell me how to find photos of your hafts other than curved single bits ?

At this point I haven't found a compelling (for me and my limited axe use) reason to make them from scratch. The only one that comes to mind is that half hatchet that you've already seen. I've used House handles for every DB I've ever hung unless it had a reusable handle.

If you're really bored and for anyone else who is interested, this is a link to my flickr. I host all my images there (or at least for the past few years I have) - https://www.flickr.com/photos/101646264@N03/

Last edited:
Back