COTS Project Thread

Finally. I'm still a lousy welder and there ended up being too much grinding but a little cold blue helped some. Oh well. The last pic is the only one I got that sorta shows the "fix" - just above the PLUMB logo. It's 32" inches to the tip of the foot and about 30" at the swell. It did come out out a little closed, but actually better than I expected. Hard as I try to find a straight line through a crooked mess the grain ended up being about 45 degrees. It's a balance of digging out straight grain vs grain oriented exactly how I want it. It's also an issue with small trees - you can see the curvature of the rings in a very small piece.

PLUMBBlishMize1 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr
PLUMBBlishMize2 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr
PLUMBBlishMize3 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr
PLUMBBlishMize4 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

Last edited:
Finally. I'm still a lousy welder and there ended up being too much grinding but a little cold blue helped some. Oh well. The last pic is the only one I got that sorta shows the "fix" - just above the PLUMB logo. It's 32" inches to the tip of the foot and about 30" at the swell. It did come out out a little closed, but actually better than I expected. Hard as I try to find a straight line through a crooked mess the grain ended up being about 45 degrees. It's a balance of digging out straight grain vs grain oriented exactly how I want it. It's also an issue with small trees - you can see the curvature of the rings in a very small piece.

PLUMBBlishMize1 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr
PLUMBBlishMize2 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr
PLUMBBlishMize3 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr
PLUMBBlishMize4 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr
Beautiful work.

And poof, a year goes by. No axes to show but still a project. This was just kinda quick and dirty, but turned out pretty good.

vhan0g.jpg

fm04mr.jpg

15hn347.jpg

w9btph.jpg

2j104rs.jpg

2v9tbgg.jpg

vngr4o.jpg

1ze8tua.jpg

2ivbdrp.jpg

fpcmkm.jpg

So yes, baseball bat blanks do make axe handles. Nice tight straight grain, and ash works for me. You've seen this axe before but now I've finally gotten around to making the octagonal knob end the way I have always wanted to. It's based off a couple vintage handles I have but sort of in my style with a little extra swell and a little more curve overall.

Added a couple inches which you might have been able to tell from the previous pics. It's about 30 overall and 27-1/2 at the swell.

ACtC-3fYEM6THGnFzQ8RrlprTjTDg3BuoVNLejTWJ6ieZBAR94Uuhd9gkC_eI7zP7Uz4lxWQ3w70IwvJ2NiDFNlh3FyySfVF_-cFxc_xl26CNHvraqkdzV2v8Dc1n1R5Dsqf7A3mJCHe5nQ8djNebOuzx418=w978-h649-no

ACtC-3fJo8xoIKLggPIZThAtwy7ubBo7VpQPszOdCgNsqrJBO3cNMaW7isnw3dNYtJp73I22imb7bIfrL937hOYxiAaXGvvYLb-6BQ21F5rmq8Vd_lNP_vxftAEU4mk7QUJx7Ws7BG77ymVmso30qHyv3yEj=w978-h649-no

ACtC-3exHI4RFw_8QwQEZxnnNgYs22XW_dFqTgOSL6M5WLVyegBYMRwmN4LZZuZ7J6ZptOlspGUQqd7OZjZUyxU7w0pd3c1-tuiNXJzPjgDNuI4lZS9avGwxaA6aEjD-xZM13mX0OObrRhAolHxznNBAeE1q=w978-h649-no

Last edited:
Back