Cougar Stalks Man For 6 Minutes During Run

Currawong

Gold Member
What do you do in a situation like this? Wave a stick and yell a lot? Carry a gun? I wouldn't want to fend it off with a knife.

When out for a dayhike in lion country I carry a .45. In fact, one time when I was taking some teenage girls from church on an overnight hike (don't worry, there were other adults along), the mother of two of the girls insisted that I carry a gun.

Like my daddy used to say, “it’s better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it”. This guy is LUCKY he didn’t wind up like Carol Baskin’s husband....., in a big pile of cat shit. Always, always carry the means to protect yourself from two (and four) legged predators. The life you save might be yours.

I saw people saying there were cubs nearby, and she was trying to protect them. But how do you tell if it's trying to scare you or eat you? Maybe if the latter, you would never see it coming.

I'm in Australia, so I'm more familiar with the behaviour of snakes and goannas and the like.

I'd say the hiker should go buy a lottery ticket.

Had he run, the cougar might have gone into pursuit/hunt mode and took him down. Under the circumstances, other than perhaps chucking rocks or arming himself with stick or something, he was short on options.

He's d@mn lucky he spotted it before it was on him.

I recall a story awhile back, a fellow was out hunting in our region. For some reason, he decided to look behind him (instinct? intuition? luck?). He found himself staring at cougar a few feet away. He was able to basically 'hip shoot' it with his rifle and survived.

Mother nature can be dangerous. Even on short hikes, I usually have at least some form of fixed blade.

Boss

If you look at the entire 6 minute video you can see him approaching and the kitten running into the brush before the mama lion starts after him, my question is what was he doing videoing the approach unless he saw it and thought it would be cool to get footage.

Bozo The Videographer was photographing the cute little kitty. (As stated, above, by JB in SC, this was obvious, in the full, long video.) Mama Cat scolded him. Obvious defensive displays, by Mama Cat.

Some people exist for the sole purpose of serving as examples of what not to do.

Yes, we should carry guns, while out and about, everywhere it is legal to do so.

I'd say the hiker should go buy a lottery ticket.

Had he run, the cougar might have gone into pursuit/hunt mode and took him down. Under the circumstances, other than perhaps chucking rocks or arming himself with stick or something, he was short on options.

He's d@mn lucky he spotted it before it was on him.

I recall a story awhile back, a fellow was out hunting in our region. For some reason, he decided to look behind him (instinct? intuition? luck?). He found himself staring at cougar a few feet away. He was able to basically 'hip shoot' it with his rifle and survived.

Mother nature can be dangerous. Even on short hikes, I usually have at least some form of fixed blade.

Boss

I also like to carry a luxurylite.com hiking pole with Texas toothpick (spear). Hope i never need to use it.

It wasn't stalking him, it was saying "#$&@ off" in cougar.

My girlfriend would get pissed everytime every time it was shown. A bit of the time they would interview a forest/wildlife person pointing out it was protecting it's cubs (I believe three of them) and the host would still lead with "stalking". Even at the end the cat looks back to see how far back the cubs were before bailing.

It wasn't stalking him, it was saying "#$&@ off" in cougar.

My girlfriend would get pissed everytime every time it was shown. A bit of the time they would interview a forest/wildlife person pointing out it was protecting it's cubs (I believe three of them) and the host would still lead with "stalking". Even at the end the cat looks back to see how far back the cubs were before bailing.
This is true. Her bluff charges were to scare the runner off. Cougar attacks are rarely frontal but usually from the back in ambush style.

Amazing video - almost as scary as the one with the kayaker getting attacked by hammerhead sharks...
Imo, if you go outside and you can bring a gun, bring a gun.
(And a pocket knife, and another knife, and a flashlight).
764AB2DE-9FC1-42BE-AB30-142AE971C89B.jpeg

Last edited:
How about having OC spray? Seeing most animals have a way more acute sense of smell than humans. It'd be another effective option to consider.

I can’t picture going afield unarmed.

I agree. And it can be surprising where and when it comes from. I was surrounded by dogs once on the edge of town. They where highly excited/aggressive, a pack mentality, individually moving in and out on me. They had me going in circles yelling and kicking at them. The level of mouth spitting bugged eyed aggression was unnerving.................I'm also of the mind that if someone is so selfish or stupid to exploit a wild animal into an attack, or aggressive behavior, intentionally, that they deserve what they get. I have no sympathy for that level of stupidity.

This is an old vid. 2014 I believe ?
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/bear-...trail-our-escape-was-not-guaranteed-1.1870339

Last edited:
Back