Counterfeit, anyone?

if you seriously are arguing they're all ripping off Cold Steel, I can just write you off as the clear, hopeless fanboy sheep that you are and move on.

Again with the name calling? How old are you? Or are you just trying to make me angry?

This is the Cold Steel subforum; fans of Cold Steel hang out here. When was the last time that you contributed anything positive about Cold Steel to this or any other thread? You remind me of the bosses I've had who believe in "management by negation." They never have any useful ideas of their own, but they're sure adept at criticizing the ideas of others who are working to get the job done.

If you want to sing the creative praises of United Cutlery, Tac-Force, Ridge Runner, et al, why don't you do so in the subforums dedicated to those brands? Those subforums don't exist? Then do something productive and start them yourself if you believe so strongly in their design originality.

Here, I'll offer you a starting point. Now where do you suppose those creative geniuses at United came up with these unique designs? What a mystery!

IMG-0925.jpg

IMG-0927.jpg

IMG-0960.jpg

IMG-0930.jpg

IMG-0957.jpg

Moving on. I've run across a few more knives bearing the Cold Steel name that aren't Cold Steel products.

IMG-0928.jpg

IMG-0932.jpg

IMG-0929.jpg

These knives also bear the Cold Steel name, but they aren't by Cold Steel, either. There are some very believable counterfeits here, particularly the Spartan. Buyer beware! Please spend your hard-earned money on real Cold Steel knives from legitimate retailers.

IMG-0934.jpg

IMG-0946.jpg

IMG-0938.jpg

IMG-0940.jpg

IMG-2789.jpg

IMG-0942.jpg

IMG-0943.jpg

IMG-0951.jpg

-Steve

Last edited:
Yeah those italian inspired are pushing it on the cold steel ripoff...now the ones copying the weird liner lock setup, as one example....yep ripoff. Those others.........you're reaching too far and too hard. The ti-lite isnt exactly a unique design from the get go. Sure those old Italians saw it and shook their head about cold steel ripping them off. Point being is some of those are exact copies of cold steels version but some are not. Grabbing one distinct piece of the knife as the copy end all be all...isnt enough. Heck i could say every knife made with a clip point and back lock rips off the buck 110......or any knife with a bayonet blade shape rips off the italians or before they started using it even, but its stretching way too far.

Again with the name calling? How old are you? Or are you just trying to make me angry?

This is the Cold Steel subforum; fans of Cold Steel hang out here. When was the last time that you contributed anything positive about Cold Steel to this or any other thread? You remind me of the bosses I've had who believe in "management by negation." They never have any useful ideas of their own, but they're sure adept at criticizing the ideas of others who are working to get the job done.

-Steve

I've contributed plenty of positive posts about Cold Steel on this forum. Let's see, most recently, I posted about my favorite Cold Steel machete, my positive thoughts on the Pro-Lite, and a full list of reasons why the Broken Skull receives such praise, along with my disappointment at not being able to grab a blue one when BladeHQ had them on the cheap. Oh, and over on the main forum, in the thread about "which company do you own the most products from", most people were listing Spyderco or Kershaw/ZT, but I listed Cold Steel, cause I have a freakin boatload of their stuff. Folders, fixed blades, machetes, tomahawks, Indian warclubs, a sword, a mace, the koga fist weapon, couple of walking sticks, several of their all polymer stabbing weapons, the Spetsnaz shovel...seriously dude, I got enough Cold Steel to outfit a small nation.

Maybe you should try reading more, and spend less time claiming EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN is a Cold Steel copy? Cold Steel fans like the product. Cold Steel fanboys give Cold Steel credit for doing stuff they didn't do. Which is...exactly what you've been doing in this thread. If you want to post actual copies and pictures of random crap falsely branded as Cold Steel, fine. But when you start making absurd claims about how every modern stiletto style knife is a Cold Steel copy, or copies of OTHER designs that Cold Steel copied as well are Cold Steel ripoffs, that crosses the line from "fan" to "fanboy". Hell, even in those pics you linked...the first one doesn't actually look like any specific Cold Steel design, though it does use the "American tanto" style blade that Cold Steel did popularize, so maybe that counts? And the second pic is pretty much just a total by the numbers dagger, a design that has been around for literally hundreds of years. It doesn't look like any specific Cold Steel design, at least, no moreso than any of the hundreds of other daggers out there do. In other words, you're trying TOO hard. Limit yourself to posting things that are ACTUAL copies, like that Spartan or OSS you linked, or to the fake stuff that is falsely labelled as Cold Steel, and it would be a lot easier to take you seriously.

Fake,yes?

Attachments

• fdfdfdfd.jpg
    fdfdfdfd.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 37
  • reeeeee.jpg
    reeeeee.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 37
  • rrrrrre.jpg
    rrrrrre.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 32
  • rttggggg.jpg
    rttggggg.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 36
Cold Steel fanboys give Cold Steel credit for doing stuff they didn't do.

Hell, even in those pics you linked...the first one doesn't actually look like any specific Cold Steel design

And the second pic is pretty much just a total by the numbers dagger

Either you've forgotten or your knowledge of Cold Steel doesn't go back far enough. Cold Steel introduced the Para Edge models in 1998. I won't put pictures of legitimate Cold Steel products in this thread so as not to cloud the issue, so here are links to photos. The first is the Para Edge Tanto Point model.

http://www.trueswords.com/cold-steel-para-edge-tanto-p-1940.html

The second is the Para Edge Double Edge Spear Point model.

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/s...teel-Para-Edge-Double-Edge-Spear-Point-Necker

If United (or any of the similar Chinese brands) makes it, you can be certain that it's either a clone or a derivation of somebody else's product. Cold Steel is a favorite target.

For all those who think I'm exaggerating the influence of the Ti-Lite, I challenge you to find a commercially manufactured stiletto folder made prior to the release of the Ti-Lite that doesn't look like a Kissing Crane, with a nail nick and a back lock and natural or plastic handle inserts and quilloned bolsters. The Cold Steel/Boguszewski design revolutionized the modern American folding stiletto.

Fake,yes?

Yes, quite fake. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

-Steve

Last edited:
Either you've forgotten or your knowledge of Cold Steel doesn't go back far enough. Cold Steel introduced the Para Edge models in 1998. I won't put pictures of legitimate Cold Steel products in this thread so as not to cloud the issue, so here are links to photos. The first is the Para Edge Tanto Point model.

http://www.trueswords.com/cold-steel-para-edge-tanto-p-1940.html

The second is the Para Edge Double Edge Spear Point model.

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/s...teel-Para-Edge-Double-Edge-Spear-Point-Necker

-Steve

The similarity being...that they both have a tanto or both have a dagger blade shape? Okay, cool, then I guess Cold Steel has been ripping off Buck/Case with every clip point lockback folder they've made?

IMG-6360.jpg

IMG-6359.jpg

IMG-1008.jpg

Those thieves at Ali Express even went to the trouble of making up a fake ad for their fake Cold Steel!

IMG-1032.jpg

Be very wary in your online purchases of Magnum Tantos, Recons, and SRKs. When it comes to San Mai, I suggest that you make certain you can see the steel layer line clearly before you consider buying. Some of these are very believable fakes. With the prevalence of counterfeits out there, I'm guessing that the 2015 logo change was done at least in part to thwart the ripoff artists using Cold Steel's good name to defraud the uneducated knife-buying public.

IMG-0787.jpg

IMG-0734.jpg

IMG-0790.jpg

IMG-1006.jpg

IMG-0796.jpg

IMG-0798.jpg

IMG-0797.jpg

IMG-0794.jpg

IMG-0789.jpg

IMG-0788.jpg

-Steve

Last edited:
I'll upload pics later, but I have an interesting copy. It's called an Ontario rat 1, and it uses aus-8 blade steel. AUS-8! I can't believe those people could copy cold steel and use the same blade steel as cs used to! Outrageous!

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

About fakes -- I see a Cold Steel knife on eBay that is in plastic clamshell packaging. Is that a fake? I thought they always came in boxes. I don't keep up with Cold Steel that much though and don't know for sure.

They have done clamshell packaging over the years for certain markets (not sure of the details), so that alone wouldn't really be a red flag.

I sent him a message concerning this obvious knockoff. He claimed it was purchased from Cold Steel. I sent him another message detailing all that was wrong, and received no reply.
I reported him to Ebay, but that's a waste of time.

I have tried too, no luck with seller or EBay.

ME
That is a blatant counterfeit, and should not be represented as a Cold Steel product. I'll give the benefit of the doubt, and assume you weren't aware.
Ebay buyer protection will side with the buyer, and you'll be stuck with all the costs, including return shipping.

SELLER
No I had this blade I ordered right from cold Steel, had many years , like a lot of my stuff , I bought from cold steel., I have still a lot of cold Steel, I am talking 30 years I have been buying ,I am 59

ME
Really? It has no choil. The ricasso is rounded. The lanyard hole is off center. The sheath's retaining strap uses velcro (should be a snap) There should be a curved grind line where the edges transition. The Magnum Tanto XII was only made with San Mai III steel, and your knife clearly has no lamination line. The tang stamp should say "made in Japan", not "Japan". The opposite side of the tang should say "Magnum Tanto XII San Mai III" and it looks blank.

SELLER
I ordered my cold steel knives from cold steel from catalog that cold steel sent out , I have sold cold steel knives on eBay in last few months some Carbon V knives , not experct but I bought from cold steel, one knive said second on it, which people didn't understand , back in the day you could buy cold steel seconds on knives, I would say to you , send cold steel a photo, ask them , I still have around 40 cold steel knives, I carry two 24/7, I am not a collector, I carry for the jobs I do, great back up , I have knives I can't match up, I had them a long time,

At least he was civil with you, I quit contacting sellers after the acrimonious replies and EBay told me their experts would look into it(a previous bogus knife) but it sold anyway. caveat emptor I guess.

Also a caution. The older laminated blades, the lamination line was not visible. That visible line was not on the earlier versions.

I would like to know if this is a fake. Bought on eBay. Was suppose to be San Mai 3 but no visible line and top swedge was sharp as a razor and never saw a box like this!
0e52b61e57fc2f976789b1d83ccde941.jpg
30562e97c9c41247a23c34112e99d374.jpg
6e12cefbea699caad2fb862fcff094ab.jpg
0ffc51be9c4bed73b506522112bc130c.jpg
8b7464389240759af9bb9228bfd1828c.jpg
cadd0759d813766541e48e3fc1a1edd6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back