• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Counterfeit knife listed on Arizona Custom Knives

I had just gone to their site to look at the terms and the $200 min. was what it said, unless I misread it-I will check again-but I see the conflict
I saw that too but they list plenty of knives for less than $200, including the one in question.

Yeah, what probably goes on is that if someone consigns a thousand dollar knife or two, and also includes a few cheapies, they probably accept the whole batch. Probably would be tough to throw a few back saying they're too small and they'll only take the big ones. They might not get enough business then. I don't excuse what they're doing. They probably should do a better job of checking every knife before putting it up on their site. After all, every time they put up a counterfeit, it only harms their own reputation, since they do not identify the private seller, except for new from maker knives.

One of forum buddies who was going through some rough times consigned two custom devision Shirogorov knives to AZCK (fun facts: the AZ part is a misnomer because they're located in FL). One was sold for a huge mark up but by the time the friend received his $, frankly he could've gotten the same on here by cutting out all the excesses and the fat but the consignors theory was that AZCK brings in more Intl. buyers so fair enough I guess! The other one just sat and sat till he actually authorized them to ship it out to me instead (owner was from Canada).

Once I received it, I was thoroughly disgusted with the condition that the knife was in. No damage or anything, just lots of greasy and dirty finger prints on a 2K+ Shirogorov! I sold it on his behalf to a gentleman in here after I had meticulously wiped the knife clean in every nook and cranny. Now the funny thing is that the actual owner of that Shiro is even more anal than me so I know that the Shiro was not consigned to AZCK in the condition in which they shipped it to me. I told the owner that although I would never imagine them shipping a sold knife all mucked up with their own dirty finger prints (whatever happened to white glove service?) nonetheless I was extremely unimpressed with the way that they shipped a sale-or-return consigned knife to a third party.

Just like buying from any other site, auction, or member on here, just simply do your homework and know what you’re spending your money on. If you see something wrong, notify them.

I’ve dealt with AZCK plenty of times. I have sent knives back due to condition discrepancies and they were completely understanding. I also have noticed errors in the descriptions and let them know. They were happy that I sent an email on it.

The knife in question appears to have been taken down from the SOG pages.
I've dealt with AZCK both for selling and buying, and they've been excellent in all of my dealings with them.

Everyone makes mistakes, no one likes it, but if they deal with it fast and fairly, that's about all I can ask.

Iv had good luck with them they ship fast glad to answer any questions. In fact I picked up a knife from them two weeks ago

I've dealt with AZCK for years. They are a great bunch of people who will not question your reasons for a return. They can't be expected to know everything about all knives. I've been collecting knives for 60+ years and only really know the ones in the niches I prefer. I didn't even know there were any collectible SOG knives. If you have questions about a knife, I've found they answer emails within 24 hours.

BTW AZCK was originally in AZ but when the new owner bought it years ago and moved the stock to FL, the name was left unchanged.

AZCK are good people, i have met the owner and several of the employees. I would not hesitate to do business with them. With the volume of knives they process I would bet this is an honest mistake.

Oh man, that is really, really bad.
I agree.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be able to verify the authenticity of most of what they market.

But I shouldn't be expected to, I'm not dealing in high-dollar custom cutlery consignments. That's supposed to be THEIR specialty.

If they don't do their due diligence in vetting their inventory, why in the hell would I pay for their mark-up? If their policy is "Caveat Emptor", you can save money by purchasing on eBay.

If they don't do their due diligence in vetting their inventory, why in the hell would I pay for their mark-up? If their policy is "Caveat Emptor", you can save money by purchasing on eBay.

They actually don't mark up the price. The seller sets the price. Many mark it up to cover the commission, but there are also those that set it low for the item, and you can make offers.

I agree.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be able to verify the authenticity of most of what they market.

But I shouldn't be expected to, I'm not dealing in high-dollar custom cutlery consignments. That's supposed to be THEIR specialty.

A 5cr non-tanto blade (listed as a tanto) that doesn't exist for $195? It is as if someone with zero knife experience put that up. Not what I am looking for in a high end custom knife dealer. Sure, mistakes happen, but like I said, that is a really really bad one.

^^^
Certainly vey sloppy, and I can't even fathom the chain of events that led to it. Both the company and the seller should have caught the tanto part. I certainly as the seller would check the ad. In the end it may have been a good thing, since it was an immediate red flag.

I'm not sure how they do things or what the actual volume, but 5Cr blazoned across the blade at that price should alarm every potential buyer.

I'm not sure how they do things or what the actual volume, but 5Cr blazoned across the blade at that price should alarm every potential buyer.
Makes me wonder as well. Seems to me you would have to not know what 5cr is to list a knife like that for that price. Makes me think (hope) it is all done electronically without any human input from ACK.

Makes me wonder as well. Seems to me you would have to not know what 5cr is to list a knife like that for that price. Makes me think (hope) it is all done electronically without any human input from ACK.

Yeah or they may just have regular ole employees who aren't knife people. Either way, it goes back to buyer beware.

I didn't see where they were informed or if they responded. OP did that happen?

Yeah or they may just have regular ole employees who aren't knife people. Either way, it goes back to buyer beware.

I didn't see where they were informed or if they responded. OP did that happen?
someone said it was taken down, but I believe that is the only info that has been added to the thread

I think that everyone makes mistakes. It's about the intent, not the error.

Was it their intention to deceive? Did they knowingly list a fake as a genuine item? I am certain they did not.
Every company makes mistakes especially now when they are not functioning at full capacity due to current circumstances.

I have done a lot of business with ACK over the years. I have found them great to deal with. However it is obvious to me that many of their employees are generally not "knife guys". They are ordinary folks who need a job and have learned much just by being there. Bladeforums is a repository of amazing knowledge and to us what seems natural to know, is just not widely known.

Some years ago I attended the U.S. Guild Show in Louisville Kentucky. I was introduced to a well known dealer who had some beautiful knives on his table. This dealer is a household name and many people deferred to his extensive knowledge. While talking to him I said how nice it was to see Tom Maringer at his first Guild Show in many years. The dealers answer......."Who is he, what does he make?"
No-one knows everything about everything.

Did ACK make a mistake?........Yes.

Was it their intention to deceive?...........No.

A mistake happened and they corrected it.

AZ Custom Knives is a consignment platform. Even if they had the knowledge and ability to authenticate every item, I doubt they would want to put themselves in that position from a legal standpoint. Making any attempt to authenticate, even a simple google search, would open them up to a buyers claim that they were aware of or should have known it was not authentic. I am sure they want that liability to remain solely with the seller.

Back