Country music

Lesknife Lesknife I could not agree more. Just beautiful lyrics and an honesty you can feel. So genuine.

I was fortunate enough to see him live at Concord Pavilion in California. His guitarist was Danny Flowers who wrote “Tulsa Time”. Danny was young when I saw them but he absolutely killed, not overplaying the song, but rather playing to the song.

The loss of Don Williams was a huge blow to country music. I feel safe in saying they’ll never be another like him. RIP

Do
Personally I think Don Williams is so honesty county music that it would be a shame not to be mentioned. I was in high school when I first heard his music and instantly thought that is country music. He was one of my dad’s favorites as well and he was kinda discriminating about the country sound. Dad played in a local band in his youth during the 1930s along with grandpa and my uncles. I started playing guitar at 13 yo but didn’t really apply myself until I was 17 yo after a near accidental amputated left index finger. They reattach it and thank the Lord I recovered. Then again in 1987 at 28 yo another accident nearly severed the same finger only that time a microsurgery dr was there to reattach it even better than before. Again I recovered to play again. I decided that there was a reason and I should use my gift so when asked to play in our church praise team I knew that was the reason and accepted. I still play but not as vigorous as I used to. With being a mechanic for 40+ years my fingers and hands are arthritic and that has limited my range of motion. But I’m so thankful for the grace and mercy given to me and the memories.
Don Williams has such a lovely voice. Him and Jim Reeves.

Another one from the man himself that’ll make you tap your toe and your tummy growl. 😄

Get them enchiladas greasy, get them steaks chicken fried. Sure do make a man feel happy to see white gravy on the side, Oooooh! my my, ain’t that Texas cookin’ somethin’?

There’s a female singer/songwriter that lives fairly close by. A decade ago I was asked to put music to some of her songs, which is no easy feat since you don’t know a lot going in about how they want it to sound. I had about a dozen students I was giving lessons to…and that’s how they found me.

I picked what I felt was her best lyrical work and set out to see what I could do with it. In actuality all of her songs were above decent lyrically.

So, here’s Amanda with a song she wrote about her kids.

Just her vocal and my guitar (not recorded professionally).

Last edited:
I think the best modern country writer/singer is Robert Earl Keen Jr. His epic "The Road Goes On Forever and the Party Never Ends" was even done by the Highwaymen. A great balladeer. I have Sirius radio in my car, always tuned to "Outlaw Country" station.

Love it. :thumbsup: I’m really partial to this one:

His songs paint pictures in your mind.

This man was an absolute treasure. But I don’t have to tell most of you on this thread that.

If you haven’t heard his “Live at the Old Quarter” double album you should check it out. Not a bad song on there. Keep in mind, this is just one guy, his guitar, and raw talent. That’s it. They don’t make em like that anymore.

The bar where that album was recorded is still standing there in Galveston. I make it a point to pass by every time I go there.

I’m positive you guys have heard this one. TVZ wrote it and sings it a bit different of course.

My 4 month old daughter really enjoys listening to Roger Miller while she's taking a bottle.

Her mother doesn't approve, but she also enjoys a little Kenny Rogers while driving at night.

And I've played Keith Whitley a lot recently since it's been raining for the last 2 weeks.

I'm doing my best to get her started on the right musical track before she gets Shanghai'd by Disney soundtracks.

That whole Keith Whitley thing was heartbreaking. He was such an amazing talent.

Of course he was married to Lorrie Morgan who had a daughter from a previous relationship. Keith adopted her and died a couple of years later.

I'm ashamed to say I don't know much about Keith Whitley's biography. I need to read up on it. Townes Van Zandt was tragic as well.

If anyone is interested in Texas country or red dirt music I think you'd be well served to look up any of the following (in no particular order):
- Cory Morrow
- Pat Green
-Ryan Bingham
- Wade Bowen
- Whiskey Meyers
- Charlie Crockett (yes, THAT Crockett family)
- Shane Smith and the Saints
- Jason Boland and the Stragglers (he's an Okie but he deserves a mention)
- Ray Benson (obviously, the king of Texas Swing must be listed)
- Charlie Robison
- Turnpike Troubadours (again, Okies but they are excellent)
- James McMurty (best to listen while cruising through West Texas)

Edit: need to add Cody Jinks to this list. Not in love with all of his stuff but when he nails it he hits right on the head.

To name a few.

Last edited:
Bunch of good ones guys, there’s a variety of tastes as one comedian said his grandfather told him if everyone liked the same thing, everyone would be after his grandma
:)
I’ve always liked Lyle Lovett even with that hair and side smile

G2

Back