Country music

I really liked Run C&W, they did bluegrass covers of my favorite Motown songs.

Yes, Rufus Thomas was a Stax artist not Motown, but you get the idea. Run C&W did "Stop in the Name of Love" and I liked their version better than the Supremes.

The Supremes did a C&W album for Motown, but the magic didn't work the other way. If I still smoked weed, I would listen to "Tumbling Tumbleweeds" for laughs.

Bunch of good ones guys, there’s a variety of tastes as one comedian said his grandfather told him if everyone liked the same thing, everyone would be after his grandma
:)
I’ve always liked Lyle Lovett even with that hair and side smile

G2
Good taste Gary. Lyle is incredible, have been a fan for decades. My buddy Willy almost got Lyle to perform at his annual party he throws. Lyle was between shows and in the area, just couldn't cement the details. THAT, would have been epic. It didn't surprise me that my buddy Willy knew how to contact Lyle... Willy has some pretty good friends in the music industry, and he throws a heck of a party every year. Live music of course...

Lately I’ve taken to listen to songs by Marty Robbins probably drives my wife crazy but just something about the songs he did, a few of my favorites are;

Big Iron
Mr Shorty
Five Brothers
Tall handsome stranger
Master’s Call

many more of course, not sure why they move me as they do but they does ;)

G2
When I was a kid, we went to Darlington this one time to watch the Southern 500. Besides being a singer, Marty was a NASCAR driver, too, and he finished in the top ten in this race - I believe he even sang the National Anthem before the race. Now that's a dual threat! My favorite of his will always be "El Paso."

And I agree about Chris Stapleton. I am not too much into today's bro-country . . . I just realized that the only "modern" singers of the past 20 years or so that I like . . . are all in their 60s! LOL. Alan Jackson, George Straight, Randy Travis and Dwight Yoakim. That is about it. I guess that Stapleton is the only "young'un." And even he's in his mid-40s now. I am officially old.

As a recovering musician I feel conflicted about posting this, but here it goes.

My journey into music was piano at age 6. By age 8 I was fully capable of reading music, and playing everything from Beethoven to The Beatles.

Things changed my sophomore year of high school when the Air Force Band of the West played at our high school auditorium. I was directly in front of their guitar player. They were great and I was mesmerized. That very evening I told my parents I wanted a Fender Telecaster and a Fender Princeton amp. Within two weeks I had both, and the process of relating my piano playing to guitar. The transition was fairly smooth. I literally spent every waking hour playing guitar.

I was asked by a friend of my dad’s, who was an amazing steel guitar player if I would be interested in joining them for a “jam” session. I couldn’t say yes fast enough. The “jam” was a huge success for me. Now, these were all 40-50 year old men that had been playing for years, and me at 15 years old.

While milling around after the “jam” I was approached by another band leader. He asked if I would be willing to join his band. They were all 35-45 years old. He informed me that they were on the Texas bar circuit, and good money ($100.00) night could be had. They were playing about five nights a week. I told him I didn’t know if I could get into the bars he said he’d take care of it.

That stint lasted about a year, until after a gig I was approached by a talent scout for Moe Bandy. He asked if I’d be interested in doing sixteen gigs in Florida. I was floored, but open to the idea completely. The pay was $400.00 night, room and board covered. I accepted, then found my self in a rehearsal studio for nearly two weeks. Then the gigs started. We played everything from small halls (500 people max), to festivals (10,000 people max). I was elated. Nothing says authentic southern Texas music like Moe Bandy. He was such an unassuming gentleman.

Now I’m without a gig and back in Texas. I saw an ad in the newspaper that David Allan Coe was playing a political benefit the next Saturday. They were set up on a flatbed trailer, hundreds of people milling around, so I went behind the trailer and took a seat on a bale of hay, hoping if they took a break I could meet DAC. About 45 minutes later he trotted down the steps and sat on the same bale of hay I was on. We made some small talk and he mentioned he was down a guitar player that night. I told him I could fill in if he liked. He laughed his ass off. I then told him my last gig was with Moe Bandy. He said OK, come sit in with us. I killed it. After the show he asked if I wanted to do 12 shows in Texas. I said hell yeah. He then told me that his last guitar player was Warren Haynes. At that time the name meant nothing to me. Anyway Mr. Haynes is now with Allman Brothers Band and Government Mule.

I’ve played a handful of shows with Collin Raye and Chet Bollinger (songwriter for Kris Kristofferson, Janie Fricke, and Johnny Duncan (RIP)).

I can’t consciously listen to today’s country. Bro-country isn’t for me. If it’s not hard country I want nothing to do with it.

Marty Robbins was a gift to country music.

Sorry I was long winded, but I was proud to be a part of real country back in the heyday.

I’ve recorded my own album in 1999, it’s all original, easy listening acoustic music. I play 6 & 12 string guitars, as well as mandolin. It’s been used as background music on PBS History Detectives as well as VH1’s Behind The Music.
Cool story! I'm 100 percent with you on bro-country. :thumbsdown:

My daughter is a part time musician. Started on piano like you, at age 5. We bought a baby grand and she took lessons for many years. Could read music better than English by third grade. Wrote a few songs - one was orchestrated and performed by a local professional orchestra. Won some awards at competition but was never going to be a top flight pianist. Started with the cello at age 12, was a natural on that, and played in her junior high and high school orchestras and local "all star" orchestras. Won some more awards. And then like you, in high school she transitioned to the git-box. Played a few gigs with a local band before college.

Lately she's become obsessed with the mandocello. Do you know much about it? It has a cool sound, but I don't hear too many folks playing it. Anyway, she's still in college studying computer science on a scholarship, getting good grades, and has had two highly paid summer internships at Microsoft. So she should have something to fall back on if she doesn't turn out to be the female Tom Scholz. LOL.

Lately she's become obsessed with the mandocello. Do you know much about it? It has a cool sound, but I don't hear too many folks playing it. Anyway, she's still in college studying computer science on a scholarship, getting good grades, and has had two highly paid summer internships at Microsoft. So she should have something to fall back on if she doesn't turn out to be the female Tom Scholz. LOL.

Although having played mandolin for 36 years now I have no experience with mandocello. While musically speaking they’re similar, both tuned a fifth apart, the mandolin tuning is spelled G-D-A-E, while the mandocello (being a longer scale length) is tuned C-G-D-A. Both instruments are tied at the hip with the “circle of 5ths” as it relates to music theory.

It is possible to tune a mandocello to standard mandolin tuning with extremely light mandolin strings without harming the instrument.

The instrument is relatively easy to learn and play, as is the mandolin. It’s popular amongst Celtic type music or Scottish dirges.

If she has experience on guitar she’ll have little problem transitioning to mandocello….and appreciate the tuning making much more sense than the guitar (namely the sticks out like a sore thumb) B string.

I wish her good luck. Given her musical background I doubt she’ll have much trouble transitioning.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Expanding on the above, and although related to guitar, I’ve been told prior to starting a song (original music)….”the first two chords are open 5ths, the second two chords are open 5ths, keep the same chords for the whole song”.

Now, if you hadn’t studied your music theory, you’d be a deer in the headlights.

In the above scenario, after the first two chords I knew the entirety of the rest of the song, including the bridge and any key changes. If asked to solo over it I absolutely could, either minimalist or over the top, whatever would fit the song.

Improvisation is equally important, but you’re always falling back on theory.

Her knowledge of piano, like mine, will carry you a long, long way.

Back