Cowbells and Crossroads

Redmeadow Knives

John Conner
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've been standing on the crossroads for a while and my dumbass has finally realized that every direction leads to Redmeadow Knives. Been on the fence about moving forward for too long.

I could write a really boring book about everything that's been involved in that realization and what caused my recent stagnation, but that doesn't get us more cowbell.

What does get us more cowbell is letting you guys know what direction we're going and what to expect.

Knifemaking has always given me an intense creative outlet. I'm going to be spending more time focusing on that creativity. The drawback of that is that I won't be taking custom orders, but there will always be knives in the works and I'll always listen to requests.

We'll also be seeing more forged items. The goal here is a line of forged blades amongst other items. I'll be documenting my learning process and the fails involved.

I'll be doing some polls and asking for your guys opinions on what kind of Redmeadow gear you want to see. Shirts, mugs, stickers?

I'll continue to post content on Instagram and YouTube and make every effort to cross post it here, let me know what you want to see more of and I'll do what I can.

In case anyone is wondering, I'll always offer items for sale here first.

RayseM RayseM you have the patience of Job, thanks for that. To those that have dibs on the M1's, and to all of the Clan of the Cowbell, you guys are awesome, thanks.

On a side note-

'The Makers Group' is a side project that myself and @Knife1987 started last year. There's an Instagram account with 2K followers, over 800 of which are Makers, a YouTube Channel that has categorized Playlists on Knifemaking, Blacksmithing, Leatherwork and things like 'Shop Tips'. There's also a private Facebook Group that's for Makers only. The idea behind the whole thing is to get Makers working together and supporting each other instead of chasing their tails. Let me know if you have any questions.​

John - I readily celebrate your awakening to purpose and your new focus. Nothing more rewarding than a productive and creative life - especially if you are motivated by passion and not exclusively by the quest for $$s. Sadly, such a life style is elusive to most people and fewer who begin achieve the balance. All the best my friend.:thumbsup:

Have to admit though that as I was reading, I was saddened at the loss of my next "custom" Redmeadow :(. Thank you very much that I - JOB ;) - got in on the party before your muse shut the door. I know, without a doubt, that my patience will be amply rewarded. Still, I'm a little sad for all the rest.

Glad to read that you will still be here on BF and doing what you love best. Makers Group is a perfect showcase. Add it to your sig line. I wish you luck John but I know that you will make your life on your own merits and tenacity without depending on the fickleness of fate.

Love first and enjoy it all - - Attitude is Reality. You will be GREAT! :cool: :thumbsup:

Cheers.

Ray

Last edited:
I'm not an elegant writer, but I will say 'Go for it, Rocky'!

I look forward to where your creativity takes you, no doubt it will be inspiring! I enjoy all the input that your threads develop, and the great ideas that all have here! Thanks for sharing all your work with us.
I'll be watching where these crossroads take you!
Drive on!

Been thinking about this all day (painting cabinetry - lots of time to think ;))

Here's to you John :rolleyes:

R

(You can stop listening after the 1st 20 seconds - that's all I'm tryin' to say) :D

Been thinking about this all day (painting cabinetry - lots of time to think ;))

Here's to you John :rolleyes:

R

(You can stop listening after the 1st 20 seconds - that's all I'm tryin' to say) :D

Might be the same concert. Carly Simon has nothing but respect for the cowbell. Skip to the two minute mark.

:thumbsup: :D

R

What will you do Chris with your Redmeadow ambitions now as there will be no custom next missions? This is what keep me lying awake nights. :confused:

:thumbsup: :D

R

What will you do Chris with your Redmeadow ambitions now as there will be no custom next missions? This is what keep me lying awake nights. :confused:

That's a tough question. One I'll have to ponder on.

If sticking to a set offering means more people get a Redmeadow, I can live with that.

My next request was probably going to be out of his wheelhouse anyway and strangely, I feel better about not asking him to stray that far from his style.

I suppose I'll have to look elsewhere for it. :eek:

Redmeadow Knives Redmeadow Knives - ^ that was hard to type. I feel like I just admit to having a wondering eye :p.

Chris, was that a Jedi mind trick or reverse psychology? :D

A set offering and more people getting things is not at all the plan, whatsoever. It's the opposite, customs set me on a fixed path. A blank slate let's things go their own direction.

He might be doing black velvet knives, for example. :D

We are happy for you BUT you just shook us up a bit too ;) (I suspect I speak for all of us Redmeadow Lurkers. I say lurkers because I'm not officially a clan member. :rolleyes:)

You go JOHN :thumbsup: Can't wait to see your direction. All good.

Ray

Good to hear you've found a direction John, I faced that same dilemma a few years back. I was taking order after order after order for drop point hunters for all the local hunters in my area, and ended up making like 50 to 60 drop point hunters all in the 4" to 5" blade length range. I got kind of stagnant in my knife making, my knives all looked a like and my skill level was not improving like I wanted it to, I needed a change. I stopped taking orders and started making the knives I wanted to make. My one and only goal at that was to improve my skill level in making knives at all levels, from mirror finishing blades, to soldering guards, to making sheaths, and even in improving on taking a good photo of the knives. I decided to focus on pretty much on Scagel style knives, and trying to improve upon each knife and sheath over the one that I have made. I started making clip points and trailing points and skinners and bowie knives and what ever came to mind, and i'm glad I did so because I've seen much improvement in my skill level since I did. I need to give credit to a lot of folks right here on Blade Forums for helping me in my quest to make better knives, the help and input they provided is invaluable to me to reach this goal. The learning curve is never ending and there will always be ways to improve my skill level. In a nut shell I think I chose the right path for Hanson knives. As far as taking orders, I will on occasion if it is someone that I know well, and the knife is within the style and materials that I am accustom to working with, and as along as the knife is something I don't feel I will have any trouble selling if the buyer flakes on it. And for what it's worth I never take down payments. I think the bottom line for guys like you and I is to make what ever we like to make and do the best job on it we can. I think everything you make John is quality workmanship and that will always sell.

You're Clan Ray, no question about it. Nothing to be shook about and nothing is changing other than my commitment to making Redmeadow happen. Like I said, I've been on the fence about taking things more seriously.

I could always blow smoke and pretend like Redmeadow is something that it's not, but I'd rather be straight and let you know what's going on.

Scott, I couldn't agree with that more. A little freedom can go a long way. Like you said I'm not opposed to the occasional custom, but I want to stretch my creative legs.

Chris, was that a Jedi mind trick or reverse psychology? :D

A set offering and more people getting things is not at all the plan, whatsoever. It's the opposite, customs set me on a fixed path. A blank slate let's things go their own direction.

I must have misunderstood so as my daughter used to say, “you do you, booboo” :D:thumbsup:

I’m gonna hang around and see how this shakes out :cool:.

Wait a minute. You have creative legs?

John, I have no doubt you'll be successful in your future endeavors. I am not surprised at this announcement in the least, and I suspect there are some seriously great things coming down the pike for you. I, for one, can't wait to see where this goes! :cool: I think it's rare these days to "get in on the ground floor", so to speak, with a maker that has such immense talent as yourself. Good luck my friend!!! :thumbsup: :D

Horey Sheet! :eek:

Congrats on making the decision to move forward John, what took you so long? :rolleyes: No seriously, I'll echo everyone's comments above. You've already shown this is your passion, with your dedication to quality and service I have no doubt whatsoever you will excel at this. Having one of the worlds largest Redmeadow collection, I will always treasure them as some of the finest blades I own. Best of luck my friend! :)

I've been standing on the crossroads for a while and my dumbass has finally realized that every direction leads to Redmeadow Knives. Been on the fence about moving forward for too long.

I could write a really boring book about everything that's been involved in that realization and what caused my recent stagnation, but that doesn't get us more cowbell.

What does get us more cowbell is letting you guys know what direction we're going and what to expect.

Knifemaking has always given me an intense creative outlet. I'm going to be spending more time focusing on that creativity. The drawback of that is that I won't be taking custom orders, but there will always be knives in the works and I'll always listen to requests.

We'll also be seeing more forged items. The goal here is a line of forged blades amongst other items. I'll be documenting my learning process and the fails involved.

I'll be doing some polls and asking for your guys opinions on what kind of Redmeadow gear you want to see. Shirts, mugs, stickers?

I'll continue to post content on Instagram and YouTube and make every effort to cross post it here, let me know what you want to see more of and I'll do what I can.

In case anyone is wondering, I'll always offer items for sale here first.

RayseM RayseM you have the patience of Job, thanks for that. To those that have dibs on the M1's, and to all of the Clan of the Cowbell, you guys are awesome, thanks.

On a side note-

'The Makers Group' is a side project that myself and @Knife1987 started last year. There's an Instagram account with 2K followers, over 800 of which are Makers, a YouTube Channel that has categorized Playlists on Knifemaking, Blacksmithing, Leatherwork and things like 'Shop Tips'. There's also a private Facebook Group that's for Makers only. The idea behind the whole thing is to get Makers working together and supporting each other instead of chasing their tails. Let me know if you have any questions.​

Back