Cowboy Hunter...& trying out my Paul Long skills

A year ago, after the Arkansas knife show I had a leather sheath class from the best...Paul Long. Then a couple days after Christmas I went back to his shop to purchase his sewing machine (autographed I might add) since he upgraded to a new machine. I knew before, and know even stronger after this cowboy hunter project that I'm money ahead to send my knives to Paul and let him do what he's good at and I can continue on with the next knife while the previous knife is on its way to Texas.
12611830804_b6682109e8_c.jpg

But....it was killing me to not try out this machine plus I wasn't sure if I had retained any of the knowledge Paul shared for 3 days. So I had to go for it. 4 days later I had a sheath and a deer skin lined leather presentation case. I could have made another knife of some sort in those 4 days.

Since the age of 18 I was making bits, spurs and western accessories. So in the mid 80's my knives started out looking very western. This cowboy hunter project was a reflection back to my early knifemaking roots. 4.5" of Turkish feather Damascus. A 416 stainless boot spur guard with a functional spinning 24 carat gold rowel. Fossil walrus ivory with a 24 carat gold lariat roping the spur guard, spiraling the ivory, then tucking away under the 14 carat gold plated stainless steel cowboy hat pommel. And the whole thing is a takedown. A lizard skin inlayed sheath and the deer skin lined case with a roping cowboy scene. Western stuff ain't for everyone I know, but my Texas roots still run strong in my blood even though I live in Arkansas now.

I hope Mr. Long isn't too disappointed in his student.

12531484515_53ee7c03e1_b.jpg

12531507255_ce435bec6a_b.jpg

12611410384_7189705e0a_b.jpg

12610797655_5e4425ddde_b.jpg

That's spectacular Ron, thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

Wow, stunning on all levels. So many unique details to absorb. I love the presentation case, sheath, spur guard, the damascus and the handle material. Hell, I love the entire package. Thanks for posting this.

Awsome, Ron. I like the theme. Great leatherwork. I'll have to swing by and peek at it.

Ronald, it is very gratifying to know that you really did pay attention during that extended shop session! I am blown away by the knife. Unique to the last degree. I hope to get to see it in Little Rock in a few days.

Now to the leather work. I guess you get an A for that as well. You make me proud!

Paul

Superb! I really like a well done theme knife, and this one is very creative. Of course the pattern welding is just so crisp. I'm jealous of that machine (and the signature.)

Beautiful piece, Ron, I like the way you tied the whole Cowboy theme into it. The Damascus is just - WOW!!

Fabulous creative work! Over-the-top damascus, and exceptional finely detailed theme!

Thanks for the all compliments guys. So my teacher not flunking me is a good thing. I still have a long way to go on the leather work. Thank you again Paul for your sharing attitude!

I do not know about the spur guard :) but your work is incredible on all accounts

Wow. Just spectacular. I love this theme.

Great idea and work, Ron. :) Super clear images, too.

Coop

I don't believe I've seen a finer 'theme' Hunter set.
The degree and variation of talent demonstrated here is quite amazing.
The Damascus is incredible and I love the presentation case. It has a
subtle charm that fits the other components so well. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Back