Cowboys for Cowgirls PH1

Jeff Coker

Gold Member
Does anyone remember when Schrade teamed up with the Dallas Cowboys for something called Cowboys for Cowgirls? I just bought a stag handled, presentation PH1 with Walt Garrison's name and number 32 on the blade. Apparently, Montana Silversmiths and US Tobacco were involved, also. If you need pics, I can provide.

I was considering buying that fine knife, congrats!

Walt Garrison played for the Dallas Cowboys (#32) and was also a corporate big-wig at UST. His first love was rodeo. I expect the knife and name-plate were made for a rodeo event sponsored by UST and/or the Dallas Cowboys. The set may have been raffled off for charity. Garrison raised $4 million for multiple sclerosis with his "Walt Garrison All Star Rodeos" over the course of 20 years.

That's my best guess. Maybe try contacting UST or Dallas Cowboys. Perhaps they have records of the specific (1990's?) event.

Cheers!

https://www.tchof.com/post/walt-garrison

Walt was a hero of mine. His signing bonus was a classic move. I was trying to find Mr. Williams' number when I found out he passed away. I don't know if you know who Mr. Williams was, but he was the nicest gentleman you can imagine. He was a walking Schrade encyclopedia, too! He could have told me who put the stag slabs on my knife. I'm hoping to get in touch with Tim Faust for a friend and hope I can ask him. It's good to know someone else remembers #32. Walt was a Cowboy on and off the field, in and out of the arena, too, if you get my drift! lol

Walt was a hero of mine. His signing bonus was a classic move. I was trying to find Mr. Williams' number when I found out he passed away. I don't know if you know who Mr. Williams was, but he was the nicest gentleman you can imagine. He was a walking Schrade encyclopedia, too! He could have told me who put the stag slabs on my knife. I'm hoping to get in touch with Tim Faust for a friend and hope I can ask him. It's good to know someone else remembers #32. Walt was a Cowboy on and off the field, in and out of the arena, too, if you get my drift! lol

I thought your NC expert might be Herman Williams and yes, sadly, he recently passed on. He was indeed a kind source of Schrade information.

Your knife has factory natural sambar stag handles. The PH1 pattern was first listed in the catalog in 1991 which is why I guessed your knife is from the 90's. I have a similar Calgary Stampede knife made in 1999 with scorched sambar handles.

I scoured the internet but couldn't find any info on the specific event your knife was associated with. Pre-internet records can prove to be elusive all these years later. Best of luck!

HJpjYdu.jpg

The black basket-weave sheath pictured above was actually the last thing I bought from Herman directly. He was a real pro. I usually throw out the bills for $10 items but Herman made you feel appreciated as a customer and fellow Schrade fan.

Vtk5dK6.jpg

Yeah, you know him! I only got to speak to him twice on the phone, but he was so kind. That is a beautiful PH1. It has always bothered me that they used such cheesy brass for these. Why not use something similar to the Loveless Hunters? Even my Loveless is having issues. The delrin is pulling away from the brass guard. The D'holder Schrades are the only ones holding up to time.

That receipt is a keeper. My grandfather collected Schrade, my dad and he got me collecting Schrade. My son is collecting Schrade... pre-2005, of course. 2004 was a year which will live in infamy; along with that Brigande (sp?).

Back