CPK Boot Daggers

Yeah it’s a Cypher. My favorite so far of all the OTFs I’ve played with.
Never seen that model before, but I recognized the family resemblance. In some desk drawer I still have some unknown model Microtech OTF that I bought a million years ago and never used. I should probably part with it - doing zero good for anyone just sitting in the dark in a desk drawer.

I can't imagine anyone tweaking it that well on their own after it left CPK, if that's what you mean. If the one on the left is the newer one I'd say it's a slight improvement or tweak in the design, or minor variances between different runs, I'm sure Nathan can/will weigh in.

You caught me. I'm not a very good knife maker....

I think what you're seeing is some normal variation from a low volume process that was not 100% dialed in. They're not exactly identical.

That particular spot on a hollow dagger grind is extremely touchy...a couple extra seconds or even variation in pressure when you're cleaning up the flats can drastically affect it. Just keeping it symmetrical on both sides of the blade can be a huge challenge sometimes.

That particular spot on a hollow dagger grind is extremely touchy...a couple extra seconds or even variation in pressure when you're cleaning up the flats can drastically affect it. Just keeping it symmetrical on both sides of the blade can be a huge challenge sometimes.
Yes, I was grinding a dagger on Sunday (as is my custom), and at one point the center line wandered on one side. I just stayed calm and told myself that there is a slightly smaller, perfect dagger still hiding in there...

You caught me. I'm not a very good knife maker....

I think this statement ruffles the feathers of those who're hoping to become billionaires one day by just hoarding up your knives!

OTOH to my untrained eyes, the difference in the fasteners between the two jumped out more than the differences in the flats. One looks like hex and the other torx? I dunno, I may need new prescription glasses.

It's EXTREMELY subtle but I noticed the "flat" area going down the middle of the knives are different. My older one is wider and longer while the new one is narrower and shorter.

Newest BD on the left, first BD on the right.
View attachment 1549689

View attachment 1549688

They look great

Have a pair of UF's, HDFK's, DEK's, and FK1's (had). All have some slight variation :thumbsup:

Thanks for the pics, fatfrog fatfrog :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think this statement ruffles the feathers of those who're hoping to become billionaires one day by just hoarding up your knives!

OTOH to my untrained eyes, the difference in the fasteners between the two jumped out more than the differences in the flats. One looks like hex and the other torx? I dunno, I may need new prescription glasses.

Both are hex!

That said, I did get a HDFK with torx fasteners. I'm not sure if they came stock from CPK or added after.

Back