CPK Kephart

Haven’t done much with it yet.
214EEA2E-696D-4D02-A155-5B8E10BD42C5.jpg863A9FE5-BDEA-4A92-B753-A0B988CBAE15.jpeg6B4F7E1C-B239-4E1D-B22D-4504E355569A.jpeg
It did do a fine job on a tater this morning :thumbsup:
Apple this afternoon
522E4114-FB7C-4EEB-935A-FD1ED985026E.jpegDF0CDFE2-32B9-49FC-B2C6-665B23D81338.jpeg
I don’t feel any resistance normally felt on a knife this thick cutting potato or apple, a testament to Nathans blade grind.

Last edited:
I have been eyeing the Kephart harder after initially passing over it in favor of the DEK1 - kind like ignoring the suv and eyeing the lambo. But I've been doing more research on the Kephart, and the more I research, the more I am impressed with it's utility. Its a homely design (IMO), but there is something respectful about that, in that its got nothing but sheer performance to lean on. I like that.

After seeing another comment in another thread about the 'bushcrafti-ness' of the Kephart, a thought emerged: would it make more sense to switch steels on the two knives being offered in the Friday sales? D3V for the DEK1 and AEB-L for the Kephart? The idea being you can sharpen your AEB-L Kephart on a river stone out in the bush a whole lot easier than a knife in 3V, and the stainless property marries well with the idea of the knife living in the woods.

I initially wasn't that interested in either the DEK1 in AEB-L or a Kephart at all. But a DEK1 in D3V and an AEB-L Kephart? I can get behind both of those. Thoughts?

I have been eyeing the Kephart harder after initially passing over it in favor of the DEK1 - kind like ignoring the suv and eyeing the lambo. But I've been doing more research on the Kephart, and the more I research, the more I am impressed with it's utility. Its a homely design (IMO), but there is something respectful about that, in that its got nothing but sheer performance to lean on. I like that.

After seeing another comment in another thread about the 'bushcrafti-ness' of the Kephart, a thought emerged: would it make more sense to switch steels on the two knives being offered in the Friday sales? D3V for the DEK1 and AEB-L for the Kephart? The idea being you can sharpen your AEB-L Kephart on a river stone out in the bush a whole lot easier than a knife in 3V, and the stainless property marries well with the idea of the knife living in the woods.

I initially wasn't that interested in either the DEK1 in AEB-L or a Kephart at all. But a DEK1 in D3V and an AEB-L Kephart? I can get behind both of those. Thoughts?
I've liked the DEK1 design since I first saw it, but I agree about the Kephart; it's not the most stylish of designs compared to most modern knives. After thinking about it a bit, that's actually why I decided to buy one. The rest of my CPKs are too nice to get all banged up. The Kephart started off sort of homely, so I won't feel bad getting it dirty. 😄

The kephart is my personal favorite knife design. Most of the knives I love have elements of the kephart in them. I haven’t had a chance to put this one through its paces yet but I will. I’m especially curious about feathersticking since the pinkie grip is nice and wide, which translates to easier feathersticking (for me). I initially wished it was a bit thinner because I multi-use in the kitchen a lot but I trust Nathan’s geometry will carry the day as usual.

I like mine a lot, more than I expected even. I’ve only cut food with it so far. But it has passed my cheese cutting test nicely! It begs to be put to work.

OxLzeUkl.jpg

Last edited:
Back