CPK Kephart

Should be a few left in the Friday sale Blues
au0tbnC.jpg

^^^^^^

So, is that the natural micarta in the post above?

And...

Is the loop that comes with the sheath a sewn nylon loop as opposed to the velcro loop version that came with the FK2?

Thanks...
This is the walnut with the micarta liners.

The kydex sheath came with a sewn nylon loop (very well done) but I install a sagewood dangler on almost all my sheaths.
2JkZOyF.jpg

Some years ago before we moved to NC, my wife and I would hike the Smoky Mountains once or twice yearly, and often based our trip out of Bryson City, NC at the Deep Creek entrance to the National Park.

On one of our many hikes on the Deep Creek Trail, we hiked back 20 miles from Clingman's Dome to Bryson City, and searched for and found Kephart's last permanent camp along the trail. You have to do a little scouting around off the main trail to find it.

It is marked by a millstone and a plaque. My picture doesn't capture the plaque well, but I included one taken off the web that shows it more clearly.

The other marker is on Kephart's grave in a cemetery in Bryson City looking out to the mountains he so loved.

kephart2.jpgkephart1.jpgkephart4.jpgkephart3.jpg

Another parenthetical Kephart story that my wife and I enjoy remembering was that we met an older woman in Bryson City who worked at or owned a real estate operation in town. I forget her name at the moment.

As we sat with her talking about the mountains and I expressed my interest in Kephart, she mentioned that she was related to Charlie Conner for whom "Charlie's Bunion" was named by Kephart in the national park. It's a really wonderful vantage point to take in some breathtaking views.

She said that she would sit on Kephart's knee as a little girl while he and her uncle Charlie sat around shooting the breeze. (A nice way of saying "passing the bottle".)

It was a nice living connection to the history of the man.

(Images below from the web, not my own.)

Charlies-Bunion-alternative-for-web_1.jpgcharlie's bunion.jpg

Kephart is a fine-ass knife. Really, all you need and nothing you don't. Handle could put someone off, because it's mostly flat, but due to the height, it will not rotate in use.
But, on the other hand, FK2 is that little bit nicer. Handle is like a glove for me, and the Kephart was just that bit worse. It was nice, but when I held my Field knife in hand, it was just better.
So, Kephart found another home.

Back