CPK Kephart

I blame Jo. She may look innocent, but don't be fooled.

That is all.

Are you surprised ? :)

My respects to her.

DSC_2670-XL.jpg

(photo from Matthew, https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/keystone-cut-bladesports-event-at-peters-heat-treat.1513123/)

Being married to a woman of Sicilian heritage, (34 years today), I have nothing but respect for, (and fear of), women with sharp knives.

(I lock up the cutlery at night and still sleep with one eye open.)

We're going to sponsor a blade sports cutting event here at the shop and I want to do an outlaw cut after the main event. A chicken on a rope is a given. The question is, do you have to catch it first...

We're going to sponsor a blade sports cutting event here at the shop and I want to do an outlaw cut after the main event. A chicken on a rope is a given. The question is, do you have to catch it first...
Well, you could crazy glue a string to the chicken and see where it goes first. Might find a nest, will help with multiple contenders :p

Can anyone provide some feedback on the handle ergonomics, especially after prolonged usage?
I can’t recall ever using a fixed blade without a palm swell, so I’m interested to see how I go with the Kephart!

Can anyone provide some feedback on the handle ergonomics, especially after prolonged usage?
I can’t recall ever using a fixed blade without a palm swell, so I’m interested to see how I go with the Kephart!
I don’t have the Kephart yet, obviously. But might want to check some Lt Wright knife reviews, some swear on simple featureless scales like on the Kephart for camping, etc. Think also of kitchen knives, where ergonomic rotation in hand and different holding angles are required.

I don’t have the Kephart yet, obviously. But might want to check some Lt Wright knife reviews, some swear on simple featureless scales like on the Kephart for camping, etc. Think also of kitchen knives, where ergonomic rotation in hand and different holding angles are required.
Completely agree that a knife doesn't require a complex handle to be ergonomic, comfortable and efficient for its intended tasks. There is often quite a bit of sophistication in (apparent) simplicity.

I think that people used to lack the sophistication that modern access to information and design tools has made possible. A smith that was skilled at both forging and heat treat of a knife or weapon or tool design was a pretty accomplished individual. It's a bit much to expect them to be particularly adept at the finer elements of design like sophisticated geometry and ergonomics.

Michael-Price-San-Francisco-Antique-Bowie-knife-California-Gold-Rush_101323920_89120_8590ABB03BB318FD.JPG

Stuff used to be pretty basic. It wasn't bad, but the slab handles and broom stick handles have evolved into better designs today, but the old designs did work, they just weren't optimized. Neither was the steel and heat treat. Things have evolved.

Back