CPK Kephart

Any of you who have not had a look, might enjoy this article with images about the "original" Kephart knife which is now owned by Ethan Becker, a man I'm fortunate to have known since the mid-90's, though I've not seen him in a few years now.

Worth a look.

Image taken from the article:

colclesser-Kephart-hero-1.jpeg

Sure am glad the CPK version is available with the option for walnut scales...much like the original from Colclesser Bros.

Blues Blues post reminded me of the two I made for myself while waiting for my CPK order to arrive.
I was going from an image of the same original knife (there is an identifiable mark across the rearmost pin area visible in both images).
I am very pleased with the CPK version, but there are a couple noteworthy differences.
My interpretation of the raised part at the front of the handle made it more pronounced (higher) than the CPK version.
Handling them both, I might prefer something in between, and of course I can still grind a bit off from mine.
I did almost a full flat grind, just convexing the last part. This bevel profile cuts noticeably differently, probably better for some things and worse for others.
All-in-all after handling the CPK, I was pleased with myself for producing a credible version.
(If I knew the CPK would arrive so soon I might not have bothered...)

S2H2GLr.png

5SNvvNJ.jpg

Z7VDa5A.jpg

CMfzzmR.jpg

I don’t have the Kephart yet, obviously. But might want to check some Lt Wright knife reviews, some swear on simple featureless scales like on the Kephart for camping, etc. Think also of kitchen knives, where ergonomic rotation in hand and different holding angles are required.
I hear what you’re saying. The handle on the Survive GSO 4.7 I had was very comfy for certain grips, but not others IMO. This is probably because the curves/ergonomics were a little tooo exaggerated.

Had a chance to examine the CPK Kephart. Going to use it as my kitchen utility knife in lieu of the Spyderco Sprig to get a feel for it. I'll post my thoughts on it when I've had a chance to use it more.

It's a nice, simple design and I can see the appeal for some.

As for me, I doubt it will replace the FK2 for my small knife carry. I've mentioned it before, but my favorite CPK backpacking do-all is the MC, but if I'm going to be on groomed trails with little need for extensive bushcraft/firebuilding where I won't need the Silky+MC, then the FK2 is the go-to. The FK2 handle is just really comfortable for shaving wood, making feathersticks etc.

The Kephart handle looks pretty thin from the couple pictures I’ve seen here? Can anyone confirm? How does it compare to say the DEK1 or FK2? How does it feel in hand, filling wise? I’m struggling to not order one, $250 is a pretty good deal..

Murph, you know you're gonna get one...so why all the angst?

Besides, it'll look great on that new table you just built for the missus. Just sayin'. :cool:
Man, you make this rough. I’m still trying to hold out, but only because I’ve got a couple special blades I need to pay for in a couple months…I keep telling myself I don’t need it because of this, but on the other hand, I really want a Kephart..let me stew on this some more in my self misery on the customers time.

Horace-Kephart-483x600.jpg

"Welp, Murph...it seems to me, you might could sell off that ol' fancy Dan Russkie knife you've been totin' lately and get the one made here in the ol' USA."

russian_family_1.jpg

"Is true..."

(Disclaimer for the humor impaired: This is intended solely as humor...not political diatribe or xenophobic, ethnic hatred. I've got a few "Russkies" in my own family tree along the line.)

Does the Kephart have a different bevel and grind then say all the other “competition” grinds and bevels? One of my buddies just got a Kephart in 3V and he said it’s not very sharp at all. Not sure if it’s mahbe just a fluke, I’ve been talking up the CPKs to him forever and he finally got one, and now he’s unimpressed with the edge😂😂 just my luck!

Does the Kephart have a different bevel and grind then say all the other “competition” grinds and bevels? One of my buddies just got a Kephart in 3V and he said it’s not very sharp at all. Not sure if it’s mahbe just a fluke, I’ve been talking up the CPKs to him forever and he finally got one, and now he’s unimpressed with the edge😂😂 just my luck!
Mine slices phone book paper cleanly...though not quite as cleanly as some other knives.

Then again, I didn't purchase it with the intention of slicing phone book paper as its main task...and I guess your buddy could touch it up if he thinks it needs it.

I like to think that it's optimized for the sorts of activities we'd set about in the woods or in a camp setting...which may require a bit more robust edge.

Mine slices phone book paper cleanly...though not quite as cleanly as some other knives.

Then again, I didn't purchase it with the intention of slicing phone book paper as its main task...and I guess your buddy could touch it up if he thinks it needs it.

I like to think that it's optimized for the sorts of activities we'd set about in the woods or in a camp setting...which may require a bit more robust edge.
Exactly my thoughts too, it’s a bushcraft knife not like any other knives CPK has made..

Back