CPK Kephart

Murphjd25 Murphjd25 FWIW I’m not usually too fond of thin handles, but this one is a winner.

Another comparison: I was surprised to discover the Winkler Field knife is about the same handle thickness.

Winkler, Keppie, FK2
J4rUr9pl.jpg

Does the Kephart have a different bevel and grind then say all the other “competition” grinds and bevels? One of my buddies just got a Kephart in 3V and he said it’s not very sharp at all. Not sure if it’s mahbe just a fluke, I’ve been talking up the CPKs to him forever and he finally got one, and now he’s unimpressed with the edge😂😂 just my luck!

I'm sorry that your friend isn't excited about initial edge sharpness. While I like to think that our knives are generally sharper out-of-the-box than most other manufacturers it is an ongoing challenge.

Part of the issue is how I define a quality edge. We control the edge angle (almost nobody else does this) and we grind it wet and slow to preserve temper (almost nobody else does this) and I remove and inspect for wire edge by hand. Maintaining edge fidelity is the highest priority in our sharpening process and by extension initial sharpness is (by definition) a lower priority. Now, that doesn't mean that our knives aren't sharp (they are) but that literally isn't our main focus. They are very frequently screaming sharp and will shave hair as if the hair were already cut and the knife is just wiping it off, but that's just an effect of a careful process, it isn't actually the required goal. If the knife will scrap hair off my arm (or push cut some "calibrated" paper I have here) it meets spec and it ships. Without resorting to high speed powered stropping or short cuts like paper wheels the only way I would have to get a hair scraping edge screaming sharp would be to start the sharpening process over again and that is incompatible with offering a reasonably priced knife like our Kephart. We got the geometry right and the steel and heat treat are bang on, but not every attribute can be a "top priority" so unfortunately some of our knives are merely sharp where some people want screaming sharp. I was thinking about partnering with a sharpener for people who want a ridiculously sharp knife out of the box and don't want to do it themselves. The rest of us have to maintain their edge and ultimately at some point sharpening falls on the owner of any knife that gets much use. I merely provide a good starting point for folks who want scary sharp.

Our process is constantly evolving and I would love to consistently ship atom splitters. I hope to get to that point one day but until then I hope that my best effort is good enough.

To be honest, I think anyone who buys one of these knives and doesn't find the initial edge satisfactory for what the knives were built to do...but is unwilling to put the edge to a stone...never really bought the knife to use to begin with, and it wouldn't matter if it was designed for and built with (Delta) 3V, or some imported mystery steel which wouldn't stand up to much of a trial by fire.

This is not to say that collecting knives for the love of knives alone isn't a valid pursuit, I have plenty that don't get used or only see light use...but these knives, imho, are built to be relied upon in extremis. Tough love rules apply. (And I take care of my tools.)

Again, just my thoughts. I hope to show off a dinged edge or two down the road. (I put the EDC2 lightly to the hone right after getting it...just because.)

[SNIP]

"Our process is constantly evolving and I would love to consistently ship atom splitters. I hope to get to that point one day but until then I hope that my best effort is good enough."
This was a battle with me for a long time. It's why i stuck with scandi grinds for almost a decade (lol)

They would roll and chip, but it was so easy to sharpen, and keep/maintain that nice edge. Big fan of flat grinds now, but I think Mr. Kephart already figured that out😁

What better way to conquer the Monday blues than to receive a package from CPK 😍
IMG-4845.jpg

IMG-4846.jpg

According to the UPS tracking, it left NC and travelled through WV, KY, Dubai, Shenzhen (China), Singapore, then finally into my grubby hands in Perth (Australia)😁
Quite a journey. I think Perth is almost on the exact opposite side of the planet from North Carolina.

Lamb?

What better way to conquer the Monday blues than to receive a package from CPK 😍
IMG-4845.jpg

IMG-4846.jpg

According to the UPS tracking, it left NC and travelled through WV, KY, Dubai, Shenzhen (China), Singapore, then finally into my grubby hands in Perth (Australia)😁
Amazing coincidence. I could've sworn I've had packages take almost the exact same route shipping from the US to US 😂

Enjoy the CPK (and the meal 🤤)

Amazing coincidence. I could've sworn I've had packages take almost the exact same route shipping from the US to US 😂

Enjoy the CPK (and the meal 🤤)
I sent a holster from western NC to an individual in north GA, (about three hours away by car), recently.

The holster went from here to Greenville, SC, (normal), and then to Portland or Seattle where it was sent back to the East and delivered only a day later than scheduled. It was a WTF moment for sure, but at least they got it delivered.

I recently received a package that was shipped from Indiana to Albuquerque, NM. Tracking showed that it was routed via San Juan, Puerto Rico?????

Edit: Here's the actual USPS tracking:

Scan History

Aug 27

12:35 pm
Delivered, In/At Mailbox
ALBUQUERQUE,NM 87112

Aug 27

6:10 am
Out for Delivery
ALBUQUERQUE,NM 87112

Aug 27

3:56 am
Arrived at Post Office
ALBUQUERQUE,NM 87112

Aug 26

In Transit to Next Facility

Aug 24

5:16 pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility
SAN JUAN PR DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Aug 24

5:16 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
SAN JUAN PR DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Aug 24

2:36 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
CATANO PR DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Aug 23

7:21 pm
Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending
CHESTERTON,IN 46304

Aug 21

2:53 am
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
CHESTERTON,IN 46304

Last edited:
I sent a holster from western NC to an individual in north GA, (about three hours away by car), recently.

The holster went from here to Greenville, SC, (normal), and then to Portland or Seattle where it was sent back to the East and delivered only a day later than scheduled. It was a WTF moment for sure, but at least they got it delivered.
I recall a screenshot of someone's tracking info from the official website where the package shipping within the US, not only travelled international first, it must've been shot out of a cannon at some point (which would explain the condition of some boxes on arrival), because the departure time from one location to the arrival time at the next was quicker than any jets I know of 😂

I do expect any knife that I pay more than $20 for to be sharp. Scary sharp? That's pretty subjective. Should be able to slice paper, though. Sadly, I've seen and held many muy espensivo (multi thousand dollars in some cases) custom forged Master Smith knives at the Blade Show which seemingly were never sharpened at all. Butter-cutters, I call them, because that is about all they would cut. Sure I could sharpen it, but why didn't the maker do that? Include me out.

And FTR, both my Kepharts arrived plenty sharp. As have all the other knives I have purchased from CPK.

I do expect any knife that I pay more than $20 for to be sharp. Scary sharp? That's pretty subjective. Should be able to slice paper, though. Sadly, I've seen and held many muy espensivo (multi thousand dollars in some cases) custom forged Master Smith knives at the Blade Show which seemingly were never sharpened at all. Butter-cutters, I call them, because that is about all they would cut. Sure I could sharpen it, but why didn't the maker do that? Include me out.

And FTR, both my Kepharts arrived plenty sharp. As have all the other knives I have purchased from CPK.
I "had" several slipjoints from top name custom makers who build impeccable knives...but not impeccable edges. Pretty much all of them reside with others now.

I'm funny that way.

Back