CPK modifications

Tony if you come up with something that makes you happy carrying it as a neck knife please just make 2 and count on one being for me. Shoot me some pics on FB when you start doing some drawing!

Hey guys... What do you think. Presentation-grade curly koa, anyone?

foMmsrql.jpg

Oh... and I'm thinking these sets for my FK and EDC.

k5pqe0Bl.jpg

^^^^

Not sure about a chopper but I would love some nice wood on an EDC and/or Field Knife. :wink:

Dang those are going to look good TR. That'll be one heck of a set.

I haven't been doing anything too fancy, but have tried a couple fastener swaps.

FSuhKmP.jpg

^^^ Very much digging that mod, HK! What size/type bit is that? I made my own stepped drill bit for the the torx style male/female fastener set for my S!K handles. Mine looks like it was gnawed out of a piece of drill rod by a feral beaver, but it works. Never bothered to upgrade to a commercial bit. Just curious what that is.

^^^ Very much digging that mod, HK! What size/type bit is that? I made my own stepped drill bit for the the torx style male/female fastener set for my S!K handles. Mine looks like it was gnawed out of a piece of drill rod by a feral beaver, but it works. Never bothered to upgrade to a commercial bit. Just curious what that is.

5/16 spotting bit. It was pretty inexpensive really. The G10 modifies like a dream, but I did manage to screw up one set of canvas scales and had to order a new set.

What's the rockwell on those Lorien? I'd use the hell out of one of those in my edc bag.

these guys are fully hardened 3V, no different than regular Field Knives

I don't think I can throw one that far

Hey guys,
I picked up a killer slab of Koa on a trip to Hawaii last fall, and I am slowly making handles for my personal collection of fixed blade knives. I started with my S!K GSOs, and now I'm on to my CPKs. There has been some interest in how I do this, so I thought I'd post a few WIP photos of the set of FK handles I'm making.

The slabs are fully stabilized (I use K&G). Then I cut them to thickness, plus about .020". I actually use the tang of the knife as the drilling template. I make much of my own tooling, so if I need a special bit, or a fixture, I usually come up with something to suit. The FK handle lends itself to freehand shaping without any fixtures, with the exception of the hole pattern. After the slabs are roughed to shape (really rough in these pictures), I countersink the holes for the fasteners, and dial in the fit to the sheath.

At this point you guys are probably taking a sidelong look at this - how can the tolerances possibly work out from one sheath to the next, from one tang to the next. Here is the beauty of our master craftsman - Nathan - who holds phenomenally close tolerances on the products he makes. I've done dozens and dozens of handles off my GSO blades and never had one come back because it didn't fit another knife. The same will be true of Nathan's knifes.

Anyway, the fit on these came out pretty good, and a little fine tuning brought them right in. After the fit, I go through progressively finer grits of sanding, both on power sander and hand sanding. My elbow is asking for a break after 2 sets of these...

I got the first coat of oil on these. More pictures to come.

gGrNRzCl.jpg
QCQBENNl.jpg

eClNsYll.jpg
3c14P69l.jpg

With the first coat of oil, not even buffed, streaky, and all - this Koa explodes to life!

ujiDzbbl.jpg

Last edited:
Back