CPK modifications

Just stunning.

I knew I should have bought an extra FK. If I come across a FK and the timing is right I'm gonna have to get something done finally.

Just outstanding Tony.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Fantastic job Tony. Those of us who have known you from the Survive! subforum already know that you are a very talented knife enthusiast craftsman with the custom handles which you produce. I am very glad to see that you have decided to take on some personal projects as far as your own CPK patterns go and that those who are not familiar with your work, will get to know about your custom made wood handle scales :thumbsup:

Just stunning.

I knew I should have bought an extra FK. If I come across a FK and the timing is right I'm gonna have to get something done finally.

Just outstanding Tony.

Thanks so much for sharing.

If you recall, he did some really cool stuff with the CRK Nyala pattern. He had the WIP thread and I think one of the hommies on this place had purchased that Nayala. Maybe Cotton? I can't recall for sure.

If you recall, he did some really cool stuff with the CRK Nyala pattern. He had the WIP thread and I think one of the hommies on this place had purchased that Nayala. Maybe Cotton? I can't recall for sure.

Honestly, Tony and I have gone back and forth for like a year to get something done, but then we always came to an impasse between me not having the right knife at the right moment and just life. He's great, no doubt about it.

We've made so many of those scales. I've washed so many of those scales. We've buffed and cleaned so many of those scales. And it's just blowing my mind to see such a perfect set of them that I had no hand in. And that wood is beautiful.

Thanks guys. This piece of Koa was really something special - resulted in a number of really neat sets of scales. I got some mind-blowing compression curl, and a few pieces like these with more wavy curl. Of course the CPK lineup lends itself to some sweet customization. I'll post up as these are completed.

Edit to add - One of the tricks on these is the curved edge of the crescent-moon shaped cutout around the lanyard hole at the back end. I had to really think about that part...

But this gives me confidence that I can duplicate the thumb-relief curve on the EDC scales. Those will be next.

Last edited:
Awesome job Tony! Nothing beats a great piece of Koa for beauty in my eye. Combining Koa with your excellent craftsmanship is a stunning combo. Very cool! :cool:

Phil

TRfromMT TRfromMT I can't wait to see them finished and to have a set on my FK. I've been showing them off to all my friends already and I don't even have them in my hands yet

I always enjoy and appreciate getting to follow along on your WIP reports Tony. Your choice of wood is always spectacular, and this koa is no exception. Well done and much respect!

Koa is a favorite of mine, every way you turn it it looks like different handles...ringed gidgee is cool also!
I'm digging the dark line thru the center of yours, too...it's different!

Koa is a favorite of mine, every way you turn it it looks like different handles...ringed gidgee is cool also!
I'm digging the dark line thru the center of yours, too...it's different!

Thanks! I picked these two sets of slabs for the dark line specifically. I wanted two sets of "twin scales". I have a number of matching pairs, but these two sets are really closely matched.

As promised, here are some photos of the completed project. The sky is completely cloudy, so really poor lighting, and the grain is not popping like it is in person, but you get the idea.

dfafxxYl.jpg

iI4a7pZl.jpg

ivOrF3Yl.jpg

yu7q5J9l.jpg
5Re5q7xl.jpg

Now... I'm off to the shop to go work on the EDC :)

that sure looks great!

As promised, here are some photos of the completed project. The sky is completely cloudy, so really poor lighting, and the grain is not popping like it is in person, but you get the idea.

dfafxxYl.jpg

iI4a7pZl.jpg

ivOrF3Yl.jpg

yu7q5J9l.jpg
5Re5q7xl.jpg

Now... I'm off to the shop to go work on the EDC :)

Do you have a Shiv? Could you make me some scales for mine?

^^^no, no shiv. And as to making some for yours, the answer is yes, but no. I got my hand slapped (previously, elsewhere, rightly so) that these kinds of posts were soliciting work and I am not supposed to do that based on my membership level. I have posted elsewhere, but forgot on these specific posts that they are not a solicitation for work, only sharing my hobby.

Edit to say - in case there is an apparent conflict in this response - I've known Justin and MoS apart from BF for awhile and they contacted me separately, previous to these posts about some work.

Last edited:
Back