CPK modifications

How bout this TRfromMT TRfromMT .. everybody check out the scales Tony did for me to match the Koa FK scales!

IMG_3412.JPG IMG_3413.JPG

^^^no, no shiv. And as to making some for yours, the answer is yes, but no. I got my hand slapped (previously, elsewhere, rightly so) that these kinds of posts were soliciting work and I am not supposed to do that based on my membership level. I have posted elsewhere, but forgot on these specific posts that they are not a solicitation for work, only sharing my hobby.

Edit to say - in case there is an apparent conflict in this response - I've known Justin and MoS apart from BF for awhile and they contacted me separately, previous to these posts about some work.

Nice work, Tony! It is apparent that you take your hobby seriously; it shows in your work! I have always believed that, as the saying goes, "A job worth doing is worth doing well." Good stuff here for sure. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys,
Here are some photos of the finished project.

xzGevAyl.jpg

ZV0JMGwl.jpg

RBEuf1Cl.jpg

I, on the other hand, love wood scales and those are flat out awesome. These recent posts of yours had me searching the web earlier for blocks of koa and desert ironwood. Not sure if I want to start a new project at the moment but your results are certainly inspirational. :)

Next up... the HDFK. What do you guys think? From top to bottom: ironwood, white oak burl, curly maple, curly koa. All are the natural color very lightly sanded and a quick swipe of lacquer, except the ironwood which is unfinished.

20170910_092302.jpg

All of them are awesome choices. I guess you could go Koa to work towards a set, or Ironwood is nice too. I have a thing for curly Maple though. One for FBF and one from Nathan like that.

Decisions decisions...

I'm always partial to the darker woods, in this case the Ironwood, but thereafter the white oak burl would have been my second choice.

The ironwood and the curly maple both jump out at me, although I don't see you going wrong with any of those. The ironwood looks that good unfinished though? Really beautiful slabs there.

I'd bet that with the amount of sanding at the finer grits that you used on the Koa, the white oak burl would have wonderful depth to it. With that much movement in them as rough scales it would be my first choice.

Last edited:
Just finished up a set of wood handles for my FK in curly maple. I have been saving this block of wood for a few years, wanting to put it on something personal. The curl and chatoyance is really something in person. If I hold them up to a bright light they are actually a little bit translucent. Remarkable material, this stuff.

20171013_162904.jpg 20171013_162714.jpg 20171013_162708.jpg 20171013_162232.jpg

Careful there Adam! The space / time continuum must not be sheared! You make that dang thang too sharp and you may fall through a wormhole if you wave it around too fast :p

Last edited:
Back