CPK Pet Thread

So sorry to read this, Matt - the same thing happened to my previous dog - she was acting fine until one day she starting acting like she didn't feel good, and when I took her to the emergancy vet, it waas the same prognosis, massive tumors throughout. There really isn't any good reason to prolong a dog's life when the condition is that dire, other than to enrich some vet. It's much kinder to let them go with less suffering. But's it's always one of the hardest things any of us ever has to do - to let go of a dear friend when their time had come, as it will to all of us. - Bob B.

I am sorry for the loss of Livvie. It is so hard losing a dog to cancer suddenly, especially at such an early age. Eight years is better than none, but it is not nearly enough. I'm still not over losing my Chachka at eight years old, even though she has been gone as long as she was alive at this point. Eight just feels like such a robbery.

Just saw a blurb about a dog food called Sportmix, made by Midwestern Pet Foods Inc. They’ve recalled several batches of dog and cat food after the deaths of 28 dogs and sickening of eight others - caused by mold related toxins. Just in case..... Mike

As I am coming to terms with the reality of my recent great loss, I have been researching and reading (many of you know well by now that I can be quite annoying in this way!) so I want to inform you pet owners and pet lovers of this terrible and nasty affliction which my Livvie suffered from and then succumbed to so suddendly and so quickly.

After reading the emailed veterinarian's diagnosis (on the fateful day, I just managed to hear bits and pieces which were gobbledygook so needed to research more) I am more convinced that mine had the nasty cancerous Hemangiosarcoma as opposed to the benign Hemangioma which is treatable but the cancer to none-cancer ratio is like 75% to 25%, i.e, only 1 in 4 dogs are lucky enough to have the benign tumor as they develop Hemoabdomen (blood in the tummy, making then look bloated and ballooned all of a sudden). The dog will have to go on the surgeon's table, be cut open and then have the tumor removed if benign and if not, we humanely euthanized by the surgeon there and then if the spleen is already shattered and it's all a mess in there although a CT scan pre op, if available, can be more telling (we did not have than option on this past NYE). Post surgery a dog with the benign version may live many more happy months if it recovers and even if it recovers post the cancerous version, the dog may give the owner 3-6 months with chemo and other recommended medical and dietary treatments.

Dogs do not suffer from heart attacks like us humans but this Hemoabdomen which is mostly manifested by Hemangiosarcoma is the doggy version of a "heart attack"!. One moment the dog can be as happy as it can be doing all things which it does and then all of a sudden, loss of appetite, loss of interest, complete lethargy and issues with the basic bodily functions. Some do collapse there and then and will need to go to ER on a gurney, which luckily for me was not the case.

The purpose of this blurb is to be more informative as opposed to alarmism; it does happen to dogs as often as a veterinarian ER seeing 2-3 cases of this on weekly basis. Some breeds seem to suffer more from this affliction than others (GSDs and Goldies in particular) but it is prevalent across the spectrum; seeming to happen in older dogs in the 7-11+ age range but that is not an absolutely established baseline. Those owners who can afford the financial burden of op and post-op (typically $10K+ in range), may eek out 2-3 months more time post op with their beloved companions, to enjoy all the devilish indulgences which the dog likes to its heart's desire before the owner will have to say goodbye. As hard as it may be without knowing with 100% certainty, I thank @TRfromMT for stating the correct words, i.e, takes courage to make that fateful decision on behalf of a beloved family member, it really sucks balls but ultimately it will prove to be the correct decision to lessen the pet's suffering at the expense of the owner's lingering pain.

Several (most) of my previous dogs have developed and ultimately died from hemangiosarcoma. My vet says that it seems to be becoming more common in dogs all the time. The hemangiosarcoma tumors (typically on the spleen or other internal organs) develop cysts on their surface, which then rupture and bleed into the abdominal cavity. If the cyst is small or not heavily vasculated, the bleeding may stop before too much blood is lost, but eventually a big cyst will rupture and the dog will bleed out into the abdominal cavity. I suspect that chemical contamination of many kibble-type dog foods may be a cause of this increase in the incidence of hemangiosarcoma. One of my previous dogs developed cardiomyopathy (heart failure), but I was able to manage that with medications for several years, until she ultimately was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma. It seems like most of my dogs have ultimately died or had to be put down due to hemangiosarcoma - it's becoming all too common in dogs.

Sherman is 11 months today, weighing in at 113lbs. Thinks he’s a lap dog.
0FtVV8q.jpg

iAhRpjU.jpg

We relocated to South Fork Colorado.
Apparently the elderly couple that lived here before us fed the deer population daily from the porch, would sit and wait for them to come thru the yard. Now our 4 dogs are "adjusting" slowly to the peeping toms that come and peep into our windows wanting the "handout".
Life is good.
5E9022F4-075E-4658-80AB-33ADC90ECB78.jpeg 8D57C711-ACA0-4651-A7E3-998CDFE7D3D4.jpeg

A very busy day here shoveling and playing in fresh powder snow,again.

Wolf Creek (Pass) Ski area (20 minutes away) claims "the most snow in Colorado" and we love it!

So this buck and quite a few doe have almost become our new pets now.B2BA5D14-61CE-4FC6-85A9-D1380BAD02DC.jpeg B2E3CD80-77B1-486D-B1C7-0900207FF97D.jpeg 3B1F2BAF-05D3-4A1A-8EF3-9C44300110D7.jpeg 712600D3-DA8F-46B8-9958-41E28AB897DF.jpeg
We don't feed them but they sleep under our aspen trees and eat the grass next to our homes foundation. Just wanted to share pics as the big guy just came looking for "dinner", but
our 4 dogs don't share...

Back