CPK Pet Thread

I thought I would share these pictures of my daughter with our new Livestock Guardian Dog. (LGD) We have two little dogs that live in the house with us, and we have two large Guardian Dogs that live with the sheep.

We live on a working cattle and sheep ranch, and have a lot of sheep. Lambing season has just started, and will continue probably into mid May. There is a thriving coyote population around here, and they're harder to hunt in areas that have a lot of forested acreage. We have only been fortunate enough to kill a few coyotes through the years. A large male I was able to get in August, that had killed 7 adult sheep in the previous 10 days. (The dogs are still both pups)

The livestock Guardian breeds are not very common, and a lot of people are not familiar with the breeds and their role in protecting livestock. We started out with Great Pyrenees and they did not work out very well for us. In part because of their breeding, and in part because of where we got them. I know some people do have great working dogs that are Great Pyrenees breed. The next breed that we had for 10 years were Anatolian Shepherds. They are from Turkey. They were very effective for us, and kept the coyotes away from the sheep. One of the downsides to an Anatolian Shepherd is their working style. They like a large perimeter, commonly a 3 to 500 acre area that they will patrol. And in most cases that involves patrolling on neighbors land, and here we had one or two neighbors that were not keen on that idea.

After those two dogs retired, we started looking for a close guarding breed the one that through years of research continued to rise to the top again and again is the Spanish Mastiff breed. Quality registered dogs are very rare in this country, and very difficult to get. We were fortunate enough to be able to purchase one and import her from Moscow, Russia after waiting for over 2 years. The male in the one picture is a percentage Spanish mastiff, crossbred with an Anatolian Shepherd. His name is Timber. They are very affectionate toward us, and will bark but not be aggressive toward other humans. That is in part because they were both purchased at 4:00 and six months of age. Litters born here out in the field with the sheep, as is common with working LGD dogs, will display more aggressive tendencies toward both strangers, neighborhood dogs, and all predator type animals.

tYS5V98.jpg

L1F6mHl7.jpg

Timber is actually taller then Bella, but lighter in build. She will weigh about 150 lbs mature. She is 5 months old, and he is 7 months old.
1F6mHl7.jpg

LtYS5V98.jpg

She is a big clumsy oaf, and loves running into us, and knocking us over...
KiGEVy6.jpg

LKiGEVy6.jpg

So we found a friend for Bailey. Meet Riley Burton, the other half of our dynamic duo also known as Salt-n-Pepper!View attachment 1412683
View attachment 1412681

So these girls are now about 7 (Bailey -white) and 8 (Riley - Brown) months old. Bailey is right at 60lbs and Riley is just behind her at about 50lbs.

546E1503-ED22-471F-A3DD-2FFC22768F14.jpeg

*The second attachment above shows them sharing the blue bed.

I am loving seeing all your CPK pets’ pictures and stories as I grieve through my own pain and loss which TBH is still really tough. I went through the entire Jan 2021, pretty much like a zombie!

During the first few awful days, I was so shocked, angry and furious that I sadly threw away some stuff such as leashes, brushes, bowls and things. Nothing of significant value but in retrospect items which some shelter dogs could've used after washing them. I feel very badly about my petulant actions but in order to atone, I will buy some stuff to donate to local shelters and maybe even donate monthly to ASPCA after having to watch through their FARKING sad ads on the TV (caveat emptor: once you donate to one of these guys, every friggin animal society from frogs to sharks to Bengal Tigers will hit you up for $). I'll also donate a small $ amount to this canine cancer research platform since I lost my own Livvie plus 2 other past dogs all to cancer. At least I had the wits to give away all the left over, none perishable and still great treats & foods to my brother who owns 4 dogs.

Livvie was a co-parented furbaby shared between between my Ex and me. The Ex is more involved with well-intended animal people (those who volunteer and care for abandoned dogs, cats, etc) than my circle of people. At least she had the wits and the presence of mind to wash some of Livvie's toys, the fancy bed and things which she donated to friends' dogs and they're loving them all. Recently her friends alerted her to some pups which were found in the trash and rescued to see if they'd survive (what kinda scum does this, leaving puppies to die in some trash? Unbelievable :mad::mad::mad:). Anyway these pups are now struggling to hang onto dear life and are currently at some vet's hooked up to IVs and things (thank goodness that some vets offer their time, services and meds to give these wonderful animals a fitting chance to find and experience love). She has taken a liking to this one female (looks like a GSD/Rotti/Pitbull mix?) and I've been supportive in terms of words to not feel guilty if she decides to adopt so soon after Livvie's passing. We are all different and have different pain and suffering tolerances with different arcs in our own lives. The Ex is a very loving person who would offer love and comfort to the next pup if she should feel ready but I have decided against coparenting and shared ownership/responsibilities, which I have already conveyed to her and we are both cool with that.

I don't feel ready and will probably not be ready for quite a while. In the meantime, I may decide to volunteer some time at a local shelter to interact with dogs as a part of my own healing. To see your CPK dogs "living the life" brings smiles to my face :) I still have this older cat which I got stuck with after one of those whims my Daughter went through when she was little. The cat is almost 15 and I think that he feels something during this past month because he's been a lot more talkative but I still don't speak cat lingo :D

Last edited:
I am loving seeing all your CPK pets’ pictures and stories as I grieve through my own pain and loss which TBH is still really tough. I went through the entire Jan 2021, pretty much like a zombie!

During the first few awful days, I was so shocked, angry and furious that I sadly threw away some stuff such as leashes, brushes, bowls and things. Nothing of significant value but in retrospect items which some shelter dogs could've used after washing them. I feel very badly about my petulant actions but in order to atone, I will buy some stuff to donate to local shelters and maybe even donate monthly to ASPCA after having to watch through their FARKING sad ads on the TV (caveat emptor: once you donate to one of these guys, every friggin animal society from frogs to sharks to Bengal Tigers will hit you up for $). I'll also donate a small $ amount to this canine cancer research platform since I lost my own Livvie plus 2 other past dogs all to cancer. At least I had the wits to give away all the left over, none perishable and still great treats & foods to my brother who owns 4 dogs.

Livvie was a co-parented furbaby shared between between my Ex and me. The Ex is more involved with well-intended animal people (those who volunteer and care for abandoned dogs, cats, etc) than my circle of people. At least she had the wits and the presence of mind to wash some of Livvie's toys, the fancy bed and things which she donated to friends' dogs and they're loving them all. Recently her friends alerted her to some pups which were found in the trash and rescued to see if they'd survive (what kinda scum does this, leaving puppies to die in some trash? Unbelievable :mad::mad::mad:). Anyway these pups are now struggling to hang onto dear life and are currently at some vet's hooked up to IVs and things (thank goodness that some vets offer their time, services and meds to give these wonderful animals a fitting chance to find and experience love). She has taken a liking to this one female (looks like a GSD/Rotti/Pitbull mix?) and I've been supportive in terms of words to not feel guilty if she decides to adopt so soon after Livvie's passing. We are all different and have different pain and suffering tolerances with different arcs in our own lives. The Ex is a very loving person who would offer love and comfort to the next pup if she should feel ready but I have decided against coparenting and shared ownership/responsibilities, which I have already conveyed to her and we are both cool with that.

I don't feel ready and will probably not be ready for quite a while. In the meantime, I may decide to volunteer some time at a local shelter to interact with dogs as a part of my own healing. To see your CPK dogs "living the life" brings smiles to my face :) I still have this older cat which I got stuck with after one of those whims my Daughter went through when she was little. The cat is almost 15 and I think that he feels something during this past month because he's been a lot more talkative but I still don't speak cat lingo :D

Be careful volunteering at a shelter. I used to do that and really enjoyed it. As a volunteer, my job was to take dogs outside on leash. If one of the fenced areas was vacant you could take the dog in and let them off leash, play fetch... it was extremely fulfilling. Without the volunteers some of those dogs (literally) wouldn’t get out of their kennels for days at a time. I always made it my mission to get every dog out for at least ten minutes on the days I volunteered. I was usually there six hours at a time.
I had two dogs of my own at home.
One day, I turned around to find I had five dogs. Two as a result of volunteering, plus one we found abandoned at a state park while going for a trail ride (like mountain biking without mountains).

Be careful volunteering at a shelter. I used to do that and really enjoyed it. As a volunteer, my job was to take dogs outside on leash. If one of the fenced areas was vacant you could take the dog in and let them off leash, play fetch... it was extremely fulfilling. Without the volunteers some of those dogs (literally) wouldn’t get out of their kennels for days at a time. I always made it my mission to get every dog out for at least ten minutes on the days I volunteered. I was usually there six hours at a time.
I had two dogs of my own at home.
One day, I turned around to find I had five dogs. Two as a result of volunteering, plus one we found abandoned at a state park while going for a trail ride (like mountain biking without mountains).
Guilty- we have the 4!
Never a dull moment now...

We were fostering with a rescue group, but the lady in charge kept "raising" "standards" for adoptees to the point that hardly any of the rescued dogs were being placed in homes. Those seeking to adopt were just not "good enpough" for "her" "boys" or "girls." Then she asked us all to foster three - then four. Now we take care of a rescued dog and three rescued cats (one just left us at 15.). Too sad to even check on what's happening at the "group."

Last edited:
Back