CPK Survival Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in! could do without choil, but will not be able to live without one either way. I can always fill in the choil with JB weld. :eek:

I am really keen for this CPK SK, more than any other. I have already started saving for it :D
To be honest, i have really high expectations around it...i am sure we all do (with respect, in a good way of course).

I could be absolutely wrong but i have a feeling it will look very similar to the LC only a smaller version. Well that is what i am hoping for anyway ;)

Like many others I am iffy on a finger choil in a 6" knife. And even more iffy after handling the finger guard meant not to be pushed against and am curious to see how it will be altered to integrate into the grip.

Things that make you say Hmmmmm!

Like many others I am iffy on a finger choil in a 6" knife. And even more iffy after handling the finger guard meant not to be pushed against and am curious to see how it will be altered to integrate into the grip.

Things that make you say Hmmmmm!

...finger guard not meant to be pushed against? Can you elaborate?

...finger guard not meant to be pushed against? Can you elaborate?

Check out the various reviews, scissors on the LC in particular.

Lorien's guard design has the ability to help you correct your grip through gentle persuasion. As you can see it's a design element common to several of his collaborations with Nathan. He is quite the designer. So naturally I'm curious after handling his knives meant to keep your finger off the guard, how he will be able to incorporate it into ones grip.

Ooooh, I get you now. You meant not meant for continuous pressure against it. I thought you meant it wasn't intended to be pressed against at all, which is kinda the whole purpose; to catch you if you push too hard and your hand slides up.

I like choils on mid-sized and larger knives, and in my use I haven't ever found myself applying pressure against the guard while using the choil. I actually think the Field Knife-style guard would disappear nicely between your fingers while using the choil.

I think full choils on bigger knives give you a nice way of bringing them down to size, not only by putting the edge right up against your index finger but by also moving your grip forward around the balance point to make the knife a bit more nimble for details.

Yeah I am with you there. On a 8"+ I would like one. 5" and down no. that 6"-7" is kinda where one can work for me.

If anyone can do it, Lorien can. I love that guy.

Justin, you are too kind! Love and kisses back atcha, bro :)

the real benefit of a finger choil on a survival knife comes from the idea that it's your only knife. Using a largish knife for fine work can be dangerous, especially when you have a blade heavy design. The choil allows the edge to be very close to your finger, making is possible to do very fine work with a high degree of edge control, but only if the balance of the knife is tuned with that use in mind. When using the choil, the hand moves toward the center of the knife and in the case of the one I'm currently figuring out, that is where the balance will be. The end result will hopefully be a blade heavy knife, that when employed for fine work, becomes neutral handling.

I've traced the drawing and will start working on the aluminum model over the course of the week. Will keep yous posted!

Lorien,

That sounds like it addresses many of the issues I have with popular models out there.

I think I am warming up to team choil.

Oh man, the things we say we won't ever do again....

Agreed^^^
I am ready to upgrade to gold membership and deposit $$$ if the SK is going to have a pre-order similar to the FK

I think I am warming up to team choil.

...traitor! :D

For those that like the choil on a blade: Do you find that you use it more for control when performing finer cutting with the material close to the choil OR to shorten the knife a bit when cutting out towards the tip?

I've never understood a finger choil (sharpening notch is different...I like that). I do get the idea of choking up for detailed work, but then I've thought why would you want scales on the rest of the handle for use but not that part. If I'm choking up like that it's to do heavy cutting (making shavings for example where I want my force very much in line with the edge) or detail work that will require good control and/or time. In both cases I don't want bare steel, especially if it's cold out. The result is I've come to wonder is why not just extend the handle scales up over the choil?

I think the biggest Benefit of a choil on a large knife doing small chores would be the balance. Making blade feel much lighter and easier to Control. That being said, Justin is a traitor.

I've never understood a finger choil (sharpening notch is different...I like that). I do get the idea of choking up for detailed work, but then I've thought why would you want scales on the rest of the handle for use but not that part. If I'm choking up like that it's to do heavy cutting (making shavings for example where I want my force very much in line with the edge) or detail work that will require good control and/or time. In both cases I don't want bare steel, especially if it's cold out. The result is I've come to wonder is why not just extend the handle scales up over the choil?
+1. Detail work involves a lot of pressure, the last time I want to be gripping hard on bare metal. I don't mind the choil on the ESEE Laser Strike, the handle material comes up to support your index finger in the choil.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back