CPK Survival Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
C'mon Lorien...
Lessee some more.
I got smoked on the EDC sale, so hook a brother up! :D

Looking good !!! I'll take a well designed choil , well designed is the key ! I am sure this one will be well designed , considering how good the ergos feel on my LC and FK .

this sketch should not be taken as the final word. I'm making an aluminum model to make sure everything works first

thanks for the info betzner, yup was aware of the term. Good link! just like the sound of blood groove, although yes a fuller is the proper term

Sorry to have assumed that you may not have known, but I have had two personal beefs about knife terms for years, and the other one has been mentioned so often in this thread that I'll go ahead and address it here, if you don't mind, for public consumption. It's about the word "choil". So much is chat traffic on the internet rather than real "chat" that I've found quite a few people pronounce the "ch" in choil, rather than pronounce it correctly, as if it were "coil". Perhaps personal choice, but it just rings bad when I hear the "ch" pronounced!

Oh man i sure hope these is a pre-order thread for these. They look so awesome.

+4 and a pretty please for a pre-order, since I SUCK at hitting anything in the LC sales! :grumpy:

The pre-order list seemed to work well for the FK's, so maybe Nate will do the same with these. Who knows.
It is meant to be released around Christmas, so it sure would be a nice present to ourselves haha

Sorry to have assumed that you may not have known, but I have had two personal beefs about knife terms for years, and the other one has been mentioned so often in this thread that I'll go ahead and address it here, if you don't mind, for public consumption. It's about the word "choil". So much is chat traffic on the internet rather than real "chat" that I've found quite a few people pronounce the "ch" in choil, rather than pronounce it correctly, as if it were "coil". Perhaps personal choice, but it just rings bad when I hear the "ch" pronounced!

betzner completely understand about your personal peeves. I actually have the same feeling on the term choil. Luckliy we don't have to hear the pronunciations on the forums.

In terms of the term blood groove, my father's favorite knife , who died at the ripe age of 82 five years ago, was his trusty #5733 Pilot Survival knife from the 60's. A veteran of the Navy for 20 years, started out as a steward. He loved that blood groove. On my first pig kill, he let me use that knife. It got pretty rusty (Hawaii)with non use as he got into his late 50's, and so I got him a "newer" one made in the 1980's about a couple years before he died, which I still have. I corrected him once on the terms, but he was not going for it. It will always be a blood groove to me.

betzner completely understand about your personal peeves. I actually have the same feeling on the term choil. Luckliy we don't have to hear the pronunciations on the forums.

In terms of the term blood groove, my father's favorite knife , who died at the ripe age of 82 five years ago, was his trusty #5733 Pilot Survival knife from the 60's. A veteran of the Navy for 20 years, started out as a steward. He loved that blood groove. On my first pig kill, he let me use that knife. It got pretty rusty (Hawaii)with non use as he got into his late 50's, and so I got him a "newer" one made in the 1980's about a couple years before he died, which I still have. I corrected him once on the terms, but he was not going for it. It will always be a blood groove to me.

Great commentary on what does or doesn't have meaning. If I were the son, yep, it would forever be a blood groove. It has real meaning, especially in context.

Websters disagrees with you on "choil" :p

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/choil

Word spelling and pronunciation change over time. Could be the case here, particularly with a word seldom used outside the knife community? May even be a generational issue. Dictionaries are usually always adapting to such changes, words being their bread and butter so to speak. Hard to argue with your Webster reference, huh?

The following might help to support such a thesis (that of change):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYx9fw-Le98

Might very well explain why I hear choil pronounced by so many without the h being silent. I noted that the word's origins are unknown, probably dating from the 19th century, when many Irish immigrants arrived during that period. Recognizing that, rather deep into browsing, I noted a comment that could offer an explanation, indicating that lenition in Irish English could be the reasoning found to explain this. Hey, "school/shool" and "schedule/shedule" are great examples of United Kingdom English and American English differences that can probably only be attributed to generational change.

EDIT BELOW ADDED, EXCEPT FOR THE PENULTIMATE PARAGRAPH

On the other hand, there are words like chorus, chasm, chord, chord, cholesterol, chemistry, choreography, christian, christmas and on and on. Most come from Old English, Old French or Latin.

I suspect the word "coil" to be, in it's earlier forms, the initial derivative. Webster attributes first use to 1567, though made famous in Shakespeare's "Hamlet" in 1602. If you've seen some royal cutlery or knives from the 16th and 17th centuries, some would have elaborate, delicate metalwork at the area we refer to as the choil. Imagine a choil that is simple and rounded, then add an inch of scrolled metal (part of the actual blade) heading around or within the choil area, or pointing downward, with circular twist/flat plain, eminating from the blade edge at the front of the choil. The patterns of that little piece of metal were often semi-circular. The definition of coil - "to wind into rings or spirals". Could be that for lack of a better word, blacksmiths started calling this area the coil, later changed to choil, perhaps, but retaining the same pronunciation. It certainly wouldn't have been a common usage word. But with diction(ary) evolution, pronunciation changed, unsilencing the h.

You know, it kinda adds up when you think about it. But the last thing I am is an etymologist.

Don't think I'll change, though. It will, however, no longer be maintained on my vast list of personal peeves, LOL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back