CPKhuk

well, thank you very much :)

the handle is sanded down to pretty much its final dimensions, although I did leave a little wiggle room to tweak further as required. It's a challenge to make a nicely contoured handle that feels right with stock this thick. However, due to the intended use of this knife, which is essentially to take the place of your favourite small hatchet, it benefits from a slightly larger handle which generally produces less fatigue from longer duration use. I have to say I was a little surprised by how responsive this heavy bastard is- arresting its forward motion is much easier than I expected. This plays a role when removing smaller diameter branches, where you have to hit them hard in order to get through in one swing, but once through you need that knife to stop moving as soon as possible.

I'll be testing it over the next two or three weeks

G3Ai429.jpg

kARTFWH.jpg

good morning fooks. While we have a good selection and variously seasoned cherry, maple and balsam fir on the property, static chopping can only reveal so much about a knife. Heading into the hills, clearing trail, exposes a knife's strengths and weaknesses much more clearly. Using a knife while in an awkward position, chopping all manner of matter, all while dealing with the strenuous nature of off trail travel has always been the most reliable way for me to get feedback that's useful. Chopping at a secured chunk of timber in one spot is a good start, but I personally like a more well rounded system for acquiring the information I need in order to feel like I have a good read on a knife.

it's not practical to just carry this bare bladed beast past the hikers and bikers that are clogging up the woods these days, a sheath is required. So, this will also be a part of the design process. Thought you might be interested in taking a look

iuSm5OE.jpg

cutting roots SUCKS, all the moreso using a knife. A reciprocating saw is the tool for the job, or a chainsaw. But, in the name of duty, I whacked away at a bunch of stuff today, including this root, in order to get the feedback I need to fine tune the handle of this beast.

GJNycQs.jpg

l1WzUqq.jpg

Man, this beast is looking sweet. I have stated it before - khukuris have never been my thing - but this guy could certainly make a convert out of me. Being taken through the design and WIP processes has been a journey, and a rather stellar one at that.

Back