CPKhuk

T8edZLJ.jpg

Delta lanyard hole
ZbyF4XQ.jpg

khukuris typically do not have lanyard holes. Generally speaking, the rat tail tang is peined over the buttcap so there is just nowhere to put one. Well, we do one piece tangs so we can do what we want! My goal with this lanyard hole is for it to be completely invisible- well, you'll be able to see it, but it will not be obvious. The point at the end of the butt is supposed to be a bit of an homage to the traditional crowned shape that you almost always see on the tail end of a khukuri. The triangle shape doesn't serve a particular purpose, although I consider it a nod to D3V heat treatment logo

ps. oops, I was intending to edit my post, not reply to it!

apart from steel and process, this khukuri isn't a huge departure from the khukuris of old. I expect and hope that it will be a well rounded tool, useful for a number of purposes- from ceremonial animal decapitation, to spreading jam on toast, to building a shelter in the woods. At 5/16" thick, it will be a challenge to make it light handling- that's what I'm trying to wrap my head around now. I think I'll start with the primary bevel and get that where it needs to be, then start removing material elsewhere in order to dial in the balance and feel. Then it's on to proto #2. So far I'm very happy with the dimensions, the handle shape, and the profile in general.

apart from steel and process, this khukuri isn't a huge departure from the khukuris of old. I expect and hope that it will be a well rounded tool, useful for a number of purposes- from ceremonial animal decapitation, to spreading jam on toast, to building a shelter in the woods. At 5/16" thick, it will be a challenge to make it light handling- that's what I'm trying to wrap my head around now. I think I'll start with the primary bevel and get that where it needs to be, then start removing material elsewhere in order to dial in the balance and feel. Then it's on to proto #2. So far I'm very happy with the dimensions, the handle shape, and the profile in general.

Do an Ang Khola style with multiple chirras?

I have a couple ideas, but I'm admittedly limited by my current skill set. I'm going to remove anything that doesn't need to be there, and how that happens I don't yet know, this is uncharted territory for me. One way or another, there will be just enough steel left for it to handle and perform the way I want it to. Nathan will translate that into how he does things, and we're not at that point yet and won't be for some time. Could be a year or more, we'll see

My personal goal in making these khukuris is to better develop my skills, and having Nathan- of all people!- help guide my efforts is an opportunity of a lifetime. My public goal is to co-develop with CPK, a khukuri that is so badass and high performance that the bar will be raised henceforth

There is no blade more intriguing to me than that of the khukuri. Its rich history fills it with nuance and mystery. I've used various khukuris over the past 15+ years during hundreds of hours of trail work, and know what I like and what I don't. For me, this khukuri represents something different in that my occupation is now strictly designing and making things. There is no room for failure or compromise and this is serious business

Well, time to go scribe some centre lines! I realized last night that my low grit belts are not in great shape. A file is likely how I'll set the plunge. Made quite the mess of another little knife I'm working on, which I'm going to have to clean up with files. Thing about a grinder is that you can fuck up faster and much more spectacularly, even with a vfd

Back